Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 01 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

night club photos (NWS)

this thread is locked
SleazyMermaid
226 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 25, 2010 16:27 |  #9466

RSLV - Very nice shot, she really stands out.

Canon EOS 50D ¦ Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ¦ Sigma 30mm f1.4 ¦ Canon 50mm f1.8 ¦ 580ex II ¦ 430ex II
Flickr ¦ (external link) Website (external link) ¦ Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
DG805
175 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 26, 2010 03:00 |  #9467

been trying to find more info on independent club photography as Pod_Canon mentioned but no luck, it's a huge thread, I too really want to pursue this night club shooting as well. SB Night Life (Santa Barbara) and other local ones ain't too nice to bring people on board, you basically have to personally know them which sucks, or at least it sure feels like it

Nikon D7000(with grip), D5000, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 17-55 2.8, Nikkor 18-200, Nikoor 35 1.4 G, SB600

victorbrca
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 26, 2010 11:21 as a reply to  @ DG805's post |  #9468

Hey everyone....

What's your take on using the 24mm 2.8 for night club photos? Does it give you enough room on a crowded place?

I'm thinking about buying one, wanted to have some experience and feedback from the pros!!!

Thanks!

Victor
http://photography.waz​em.org/ (external link)
http://agitostoronto.c​om/english/ (external link)
---------------
Canon XS - Kit lens 18-55mm and 55-250mm - 50mm 1.8 - 430EX II

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 26, 2010 13:04 |  #9469

DG805 wrote in post #9685560 (external link)
been trying to find more info on independent club photography as Pod_Canon mentioned but no luck, it's a huge thread, I too really want to pursue this night club shooting as well. SB Night Life (Santa Barbara) and other local ones ain't too nice to bring people on board, you basically have to personally know them which sucks, or at least it sure feels like it

Yeah, the local sites tend to work that way. Everyone is usually a partner and they don't want to spread the wealth. Can't blame them really. My photo site is a 50/50 split between me and my developer and we just simply don't have the funds to pay for people. Probably won't, either. Current feeling is we'll just license our tech to anyone who wants to put up a non-flash-works-with-anything photo gallery. Like, the brand will be mine to shoot under, but we'll gladly license the concept to others, a "powered by", method.

The one thing to look out for is local sites with horrid or non-existent photography. Tactfully, of course, approach them with your quality services and see what you can work out. The way I got into my first independent site was just that. The site owner shot the photos with a 2 MP pocket Nikon, and saw what I did in a local glossy and asked for my assistance in exchange for a cut of the revenue. I shot film at the time and he was nice enough to pay for my developing too. I "ate" the cost of the film since I worked a job at a lab and either helped myself to expired film or purchased fresh stock at cost.

Nowadays, it's a bit different though since photo sites and nightlife blogs are a dime a dozen. It's nothing new for some kid with a Drebel and an opinion on nightclubs to get a blogger account and go blast away in the party scene. That's kind of what works against everyone now, trying to get into the game. The "party photographer" is not a rare bird anymore. It's annoyingly prevalent at what we in the US call the "hipster" scene (Steve Aoki, MSTRKRFT, The Misshapes, Girl Talk, etc...) where having a Drebel is a hipster status symbol. You're a hipster baron if you have a blog, a Drebel, and can stomach the taste of PBR. As a matter of fact, hipster parties in their planning phases, the question of a photoblogger always comes up....

/rant off.

My stuff
My blog and "professional" site. (external link)
My other site (external link) - in development, bear with me
The beast that spawned it all (external link)

Shea.Flynn
496 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2010 16:01 |  #9470

Chris and I shoot a lot of stuff in the "hipster" scene, I must say its SO MUCH more fun to shoot then the normal clubs we shoot. Hipsters actually enjoy having there picture taken (for some reason they all know how to pose, odd but it makes my life easier), and it allows for us to try different ideas and techniques with out being worried some promoters going to be pissed over it. As opposed to the normal crowd who's major concert is how tan they are, and only want the dullest most cliche pictures imaginable. Just my opinion :)...o and I cant stomach the taste of PBR to save my life

Shea Flynn
WWW.DABLACKSWAN.COM
Flickr (external link)
T3i, Canon 30D/grip, A2/grip
17-40mmL F4, 28mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8

Twin ­ Turbo
759 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 26, 2010 16:08 |  #9471

Shea.Flynn wrote in post #9689285 (external link)
Chris and I shoot a lot of stuff in the "hipster" scene, I must say its SO MUCH more fun to shoot then the normal clubs we shoot. Hipsters actually enjoy having there picture taken (for some reason they all know how to pose, odd but it makes my life easier), and it allows for us to try different ideas and techniques with out being worried some promoters going to be pissed over it. As opposed to the normal crowd who's major concert is how tan they are, and only want the dullest most cliche pictures imaginable. Just my opinion :)

I agree with this. The "hipster" crowd seems to have more fun than the regular club crowd. Things with me is that I try and wait till everyone's all smashed so at least the pics come out a little better. I do say that the "VIP crowd" can be very boring sometimes. Just standing there, looking pretty. Maybe it's because they just paid $250 for a bottle of ........ that you can get at ABC Liquors for $25 and they just spent half of their rent money on said bottle just to *try* and look cool. True story.

Canon 40D Gripped/Tokina 11-16mm F2.8/600EX RT/One Minnen Ratta and other goodies.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/twinturbophoto/ (external link)

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 26, 2010 16:37 |  #9472

Oh I agree, I can't fault the crowd that much other than the "get off my lawn you darn kids" perspective. It's just that it's a veritable "shooting gallery" in those parties. Like the last one of those parties I went to, I counted no less than ten DSLR-sporting people in there. Now, I don't fault anyone who wants to get into what we do here, but again, for some of them, it's a status symbol to have a blog and a DSLR. When the next fad hits, expect a rash of slightly-used Drebels on eBay.

It's funny though, this girl here in town who shoots that scene, is like hyper-annoyed by all that, and I agree with her 100%. She bounces from event to event, and by the time she gets to some, the crowd is "photo-ed out" and not game anymore due to all the shooting.

As an aside, do you guys agree with venues that limit the amount of shooters in at a given moment?

And the fact that I don't run a blog works against me in these situations. I run a site and let people generate controversy and content for me. The concept's worked for 12 years and it'll work for 12 more. I take pretty pictures, and you, the community, do the writing.

My stuff

Shea.Flynn
496 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2010 16:56 as a reply to  @ pod_canon's post |  #9473

yeah I agree IMO, our market is way to saturated with photographers, a good portion of them (mainly hipsters) have no idea what there doing. I noticed a great deal of those photographers need to work on their educate in dealing with people, aswell as technique. As for putting a cap on the number of photographers allowed at a venue, that would be amazing. Every one in Chicago knows someone, and everyone acts like there someone super important. I remember when Chris and I were resident photographers at Spybar some guy whom we've never seen before walks up with his 50D and a pop up flash and tells Chris that the 50D is considerably better because its higher megapixel (Chris using a 5D btw). Then another guy who also had no business being there walks up to every girl he takes a picture of and asks if she wants to touch his dick. If he were any other Dbag I really wouldn't care, but because he was masqarading as a photographer it reflects badly on all of us.

Shea Flynn
WWW.DABLACKSWAN.COM
Flickr (external link)
T3i, Canon 30D/grip, A2/grip
17-40mmL F4, 28mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8

Twin ­ Turbo
759 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 26, 2010 17:14 |  #9474

At one of the clubs I shoot for, I can count 2 photographers that pretty much work for the same website and the same person. Reason being was because one photog was working on Friday nights and Friday nights were a flop so he got moved to Saturday nights where it is a lot better. Makes no sense to me, plus, they have a contract with one photog to provide photos for this website so you got 2 photogs running around where in reality, there should be one. I work for a Dj friend of mine so I am off doing my own thing and THEN, there would be other photogs from other websites coming in and leaving after a while. I stay pretty much the duration of the night while other photogs come in for like half an hour and leave.

When I first started, I had no idea how much of a professional attitude I had to have when I am out in clubs. No bad attitudes, no being a douchebag, you know what I mean? Not that I was ever like that but regardless. Then, let's not get into the types that masquerade around acting like they know what they are doing. I suffer at times from people looking down at my rebel with their bigger and better cameras laughing and joking when most of the time, I am taking better pics with my rebel because I know what I am doing and they don't.

Canon 40D Gripped/Tokina 11-16mm F2.8/600EX RT/One Minnen Ratta and other goodies.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/twinturbophoto/ (external link)

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 26, 2010 17:35 |  #9475

Some places 'round these parts, a good excuse suffices. Others, do the strict thing where there's a hard limit. You gotta call ahead, or know the right people. And there's always political/marketing loyalties too.

As of late, the local megasite (TT, they have a minor presence in Tampa, too) lost their last nice guy, so they're down to a staff of one guy who's nice but just does it to get chicks, a few jackholes who are good, and one guy who's apparently a raging jerk wherever he goes. A friend of mine who runs his own site, was shooting an event the other night, and raging jerk came up to him, fired his flash straight into my friend's eyes, and point blank said "What the f--k are you doing in here, I have the exclusive!". But the local megasite is known for less-than-ethical tactics in marketing and the conduct of their shooters. I'm no saint (ask around!) but I've never been a complete jerk. I just tend to conduct "shenanigans", in a funny way, like "Man, Pod did this thing the other night and boy was it funny!"

But be that as it may, the local megasite is starting to raw on everyone's nerves. Too many of their people in one place, and too many of their people throwing their supposed weight around. The clubs tolerate them since they get access at discount prices to their email list.

My stuff

Rukes
394 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 26, 2010 20:45 |  #9476

I can't wait for the hipster fad to die. What's worse is that type of photography is big in the fashion industry too now. Check out an issue of Maxim, chances are 90% of the pics are done in the severely over-exposed with a harsh drop shadow in what looks like a cave shot.

A lot of promoters in LA are waiting for it to go too, the problem is since it caters to so many kids 18 and below, its a huge draw. If only they were forced to have their events be 21+, they would be empty :)

As for photog limit, definately. I've been working with the promoters I work for to start doing that, because it can get crazy. I think for Insomniac, we are going to start limiting the photogs to maybe 5 of us at most for the massives, isntead of letting people with press passes in. They usually end up taking pics of severely beat heavily drugged people, which just makes everyone look bad anyway.

Same thing is sort of happening in the club scene too in LA for me. I used to do the photos at Vanguard for Giant and Insomniac, but towards the end they had to cut me from the budget since the venue was being sold. Now Giant is back at Avalon and while they work me into the budget (unfortunately taking longer than they thought), about 8 photogs all swarm in to Avalon on Saturdays now and make the small stage just a complete mess, once they saw I was on tour and not showing up. Thankfully the club and promoters know that I will be the only photog that they pay for pics once the budget is done.

I think my favorite funny event was at Deadmau5's gig in Miami at Mansion late last year. The stage was cleared of photogs, and halfway through the set, some guy with a small consumer Nikon somehow snuck up on stage and the first thing he said to me was "You know Nikon is so much better at taking pics of DJs than Canon".

Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/rukes (external link)
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com​/rukes (external link)

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 26, 2010 20:59 |  #9477

Rukes wrote in post #9690995 (external link)
I can't wait for the hipster fad to die.

I think my favorite funny event was at Deadmau5's gig in Miami at Mansion late last year. The stage was cleared of photogs, and halfway through the set, some guy with a small consumer Nikon somehow snuck up on stage and the first thing he said to me was "You know Nikon is so much better at taking pics of DJs than Canon".

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!...**** I hate hipsters

and that's freaking hilarious.

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

Rukes
394 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 26, 2010 22:46 |  #9478

I forgot to mention that like others have said, the crowds are usually much better. More happy to be there, rather than looking to be seen (aside from the huge "im with the DJ" entourages), so I would take a hipster event for the vibe over a normal club night. Although once you get to the events where it's more like "look at my 80's retro ironic gear and my Canon Rebel" then it starts getting annoying.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.co​m/rukes (external link)
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com​/rukes (external link)

tomasado
37 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 27, 2010 05:34 as a reply to  @ Rukes's post |  #9479

Some images from last night DJ's BATTLE :)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

pod_canon
954 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 27, 2010 14:13 |  #9480

Rukes wrote in post #9690995 (external link)
I think my favorite funny event was at Deadmau5's gig in Miami at Mansion late last year. The stage was cleared of photogs, and halfway through the set, some guy with a small consumer Nikon somehow snuck up on stage and the first thing he said to me was "You know Nikon is so much better at taking pics of DJs than Canon

Hahaha. Was he a megasite person or just a punter who got past security somehow? I remember back when Mansion supposedly enforced "photographer quotas". For reasons I'd rather not get into, me and the Frenchies don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, so I set foot in the venue maybe once a year. But, back when I ran the shop for a megasite, I would give it the ol' college try to dispatch one of my minions to their events. Was shot down because: - They had an "in house" guy who farmed out his photos accordingly, to mass media outlets. - They didn't see the value in megasite exposure. Neither do I, nowadays, but back then I was drinking the Kool-Aid. Fast forward four years. Now, I look around, anyone with a good excuse gets in the door, and you can easily reference megasites and find Mansion photos. Fads change, yes, but I think it's hilarious. It's why I decamp across the bridge every Saturday (There's a reason "Saturdays Belong to Space"). They actually consult me on press matters, and yeah they let a megasite in the door, but it's pretty much "required" these days. If I was a club owner I'd certainly not pass up on access to half-a-million emails. I know what you mean too about crowded booths and stages. With certain DJs, yeah whatever, it's just some idiot and his Macbook (hipster DJs), but when you get to a certain level of DJ, "rock rules" need to be in effect. Stage should be verboten except for a quick dash and grab for the epic shot. No loitering. In (fire!) out!

My stuff

sponsored links

2,611,414 views & 3 likes for this thread
night club photos (NWS)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.