Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Volunteering through photography

aponi06
665 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 16:30 |  #136

What a great idea! Did you hear anything back?

Village_Idiot wrote in post #12645295 (external link)
I just fired off an e-mail to the local VA hospital because of this thread offering to photograph veterans on premises for treatment. They have a large hospital where they have a large on campus population.

Kat
Facebook me (external link)
deviantART (external link)
"Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease."

sponsored links
aponi06
665 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 21, 2011 16:31 |  #137

I would love to volunteer to take pictures for a family, charity, etc but have no wear to start.

Kat
Facebook me (external link)
deviantART (external link)
"Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease."

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 22, 2011 06:57 |  #138

aponi06 wrote in post #12800542 (external link)
What a great idea! Did you hear anything back?

There was an orientation I had to attend at the beginning of July, then I had to get TB tests. I finally just got the first and need to go back next week for the second. My full time work schedule makes it difficult to get over to their health center which is only open until 3 m-f

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 22, 2011 06:59 |  #139

aponi06 wrote in post #12800545 (external link)
I would love to volunteer to take pictures for a family, charity, etc but have no wear to start.

I know ft. Detrick army base in MD does military appreciation day. A group of us local togs setup 4 stations in the gym and did free photos with one on site print for the military families.

Maybe check out your local military base? Also check with local boys and girl clubs. I know a local one has a photography class for their kids.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2011 10:40 |  #140

IMAGE: http://www.steelcityphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/img006-1024x676.jpg

I just got this from a NPO that I did some work for. Getting a letter like this make it VERY rewarding:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2011 10:43 |  #141

aponi06 wrote in post #12800545 (external link)

I would start with a google search and include the city you reside in. Meals on wheels?
Believe it or not, you can check craig list too.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 07, 2011 08:46 |  #142

I'm planning on shooting many youth events this year, being one of the youth I'm already attending the events and the leaders greatly appreciate their being good photos to show what we're doing! Since I'm already attending the events it doesn't take hardly any of my time, and I'm there for the whole thing (week long mission trips anyone?).

Facebook (external link)|flickr (external link)|Website (external link)
Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 08, 2011 12:10 |  #143

ThatTeenPhotographer wrote in post #13063743 (external link)
I'm planning on shooting many youth events this year, being one of the youth I'm already attending the events and the leaders greatly appreciate their being good photos to show what we're doing! Since I'm already attending the events it doesn't take hardly any of my time, and I'm there for the whole thing (week long mission trips anyone?).

I've done lots of week long mission trips. But I've never photographed them. I've always immersed myself into the mission and work. Having my gear with me would (1) distract me from the real reason I am there and (2) give me something to have to worry about (security, the elements, etc.).

I find that I personally tend to have a hard time photographing something and also fully participating in it. If it's just a matter of trying to capture a few shots throughout the event, that's one thing. But if its trying to photographically document it, I have a hard time balancing that.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 16, 2011 07:07 |  #144

spkerer wrote in post #13070529 (external link)
I've done lots of week long mission trips. But I've never photographed them. I've always immersed myself into the mission and work. Having my gear with me would (1) distract me from the real reason I am there and (2) give me something to have to worry about (security, the elements, etc.).

I find that I personally tend to have a hard time photographing something and also fully participating in it. If it's just a matter of trying to capture a few shots throughout the event, that's one thing. But if its trying to photographically document it, I have a hard time balancing that.

I'm alright at balancing the two, a lot of times it's just having a point and shoot in a pocket, and snapping a few pictures throughout the work day. Full time photographing a event like a mission trip would be a major project that I wouldn't have time for. But getting a hundred or so pictures over the week is helpful and you can still participate.
I worry more about my guitar on trips like that than my camera, I don't bring the dSLR just the point and shoot.

Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

spkerer
953 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 16, 2011 07:43 |  #145

ThatTeenPhotographer wrote in post #13112358 (external link)
I'm alright at balancing the two, a lot of times it's just having a point and shoot in a pocket, and snapping a few pictures throughout the work day. Full time photographing a event like a mission trip would be a major project that I wouldn't have time for. But getting a hundred or so pictures over the week is helpful and you can still participate.
I worry more about my guitar on trips like that than my camera, I don't bring the dSLR just the point and shoot.

Good for you being able to balance the two! That's just something I find difficult. If you can balance the two and get them so good photos, that's great and they probably like having some good photos for promotion.

Leesburg, Virginia
http://photos.kusterer​s.net (external link)

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 17, 2011 18:32 |  #146

spkerer wrote in post #13112448 (external link)
Good for you being able to balance the two! That's just something I find difficult. If you can balance the two and get them so good photos, that's great and they probably like having some good photos for promotion.

That's my hope at least haha.

Working on a 365

Swins
76 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 20, 2011 23:08 |  #147

I do about four main volunteer things.
1. LGBT weddings in certain cases.
2. Armed servicemen and women who either are coming home or are deployed I do holiday photos or home coming photos.
3. A few large NFP events
4. One NFP's entire marketing campaign

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 05, 2011 20:41 |  #148

So wow, what a thread. My wife is a principal in new york city. there are socio economic challenges for many of the students. Yearly pictures are just not in the cards for many.

Just called my wife, she finished work and is staying in the city tonight, (yeah right 9-3 ha!!!) We are gong to set it up where I can do the pictures for them. along the lines of NILMDTS we'll provide the shoot and free digital on disk. also we are going to offer prints at cost. plan on getting the r3000 before the end of the month. rebate is up then...through epson's site final cost is 459 just can't beat it.

anyway..........readin​g through this thread gave me the idea. too I am going back to page one and linking to NILMTS and fill out the app.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 05, 2011 21:55 |  #149

well I see I haven't the required level of verification to be considered by NILMDTS
be a nice goal to become qualified

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 10, 2011 01:08 |  #150

Story on CNN about an organization doing some goood.

http://www.cnn.com …aits/index.html​?hpt=hp_c2 (external link)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

142,120 views & 3 likes for this thread
Volunteering through photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.