Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will the Vivitar 285HV work with Elinchrom skyport?

Stephan.
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 07:59 |  #1

I remember Curtis writing something about issues with the Vivitar 285HV working with the Elinchrom skyport system.
Could somebody elaborate?

sponsored links
FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2007 09:09 |  #2

Without a specialized adapter, the new Vivitar 285HV will not function with the Skyport.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 09:11 |  #3

Is the included "proprietary Vivitar to PC sync" adapter good enough?

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2007 09:13 |  #4

Stephan. wrote in post #4468728 (external link)
Is the included "proprietary Vivitar to PC sync" adapter good enough?

No.

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 09:16 |  #5

Does Elinchrom provide these kinds of cables or where would I able to get one?

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2007 09:20 |  #6

Stephan. wrote in post #4468755 (external link)
Does Elinchrom provide these kinds of cables or where would I able to get one?

Elinchrom does not make the required adapter cable for proper function with the new 285HV and the Skyport.

Others will have to help you with a source for an adapter that will provide proper function for a Skyport and a new 285HV.

Enjoy! Lon

Arseni
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 09, 2007 09:29 as a reply to  @ FlashZebra's post |  #7

Here you go!

http://www.flickr.com …0/?search=skypo​rt+vivitar (external link)
(this MOD will also work to fire 580ex in master mode with skyports)

This is I'm sure same thing sold by flashzebra: http://flashzebra.com/​wizardcables/0071.shtm​l (external link)
(connector is for vivitar only - won't work with canon flashes and won't fin hotshoe adapter)

I made mine by myself.

Shane ­ F
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2007 11:49 |  #8

FlashZebra wrote in post #4468769 (external link)
Elinchrom does not make the required adapter cable for proper function with the new 285HV and the Skyport.

Others will have to help you with a source for an adapter that will provide proper function for a Skyport and a new 285HV.

Enjoy! Lon

Just wondering, do you make the cable that is in the above post? And if so, why would you not say so?

Im curious because, if you do make this cable it would make getting a 285 so much easier! And I think there would be a lot of people more than happy to purchase this from you.

Canon 5D | Elan 7N | 70-200 L f/4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 | 430EX | 2x Vivitar 285

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 09, 2007 12:52 |  #9

Shane F wrote in post #4469492 (external link)
Just wondering, do you make the cable that is in the above post? And if so, why would you not say so?

Lon is very careful not to violate forum rules by promoting his own products on this site.

I'm sure he would respond to a PM or to an email sent to him through his website.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 09, 2007 13:11 |  #10

Stephan. wrote in post #4468386 (external link)
I remember Curtis writing something about issues with the Vivitar 285HV working with the Elinchrom skyport system.
Could somebody elaborate?

Yes, they work fine.

I use the skyports with my 580 and 2 Vivitar 285hv's. I bought 2 adapter cords from
FLash ZEbra (external link)and they work great. The flashes and the skyports fire flawlessly, thanks to the adapter cords. :)

flashzebra = good stuff.

Here is the link to the cord you need (external link)

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 14:17 |  #11

Interesting stuff. Thanks.
Does the Elinchrom Skyport work with the Sunpak 383?

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 14:18 |  #12

Does the Skyport work with Speedlites out of the box or is the Skyport system only for Elinchrom strobes by default?

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2007 14:28 |  #13

Stephan. wrote in post #4470273 (external link)
Does the Skyport work with Speedlites out of the box or is the Skyport system only for Elinchrom strobes by default?

In general the Skyports will work with most flash units that are capable of off camera function. They are used to fire all sorts of flash units both hotshoe based and studio flash.

The Vivitar 285HV is just an exception. And with the correct adapter, you can even get it to work. And the need for an adapter to connect a radio slave receiver to a flash unit in itself is not unusual.

In general, they work with the Canon EX series of flash units (is this what you mean by "speedlights"), but they do not function via the hotshoe on Manual-Master mode (as expected) on the 580EX II.

I have also heard one report that this Manual-Master issue is also true of the 550EX, and may even be true for the 580EX (no II), but no concrete confirmation of this.

But, unless you are trying to weld together a "hybrid" radio slave/Canon IR triggering system, the loss of master-manual mode is unimportant.

Enjoy! Lon

Stephan.
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 09, 2007 14:44 |  #14

Thanks Flashzebra for the clarification. Yes, I meant the EX series with Speedlights. I'm aware that this might not have been the best term to use ;-)a

Which "strobist" (read affordable) flash would you recommend to hook up the Elinchrom skyport? Are there any restrictions when using the adapter cable?

Shane ­ F
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 09, 2007 16:12 |  #15

Curtis N wrote in post #4469783 (external link)
Lon is very careful not to violate forum rules by promoting his own products on this site.

I'm sure he would respond to a PM or to an email sent to him through his website.

sorry noob mistake!

either way, i was very happy to see a link to that cable as it will make it much easier to pick up a 285 that will work with the skyports now.
no messing around trying to find a non HV model.

Canon 5D | Elan 7N | 70-200 L f/4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 | 430EX | 2x Vivitar 285

sponsored links

5,790 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will the Vivitar 285HV work with Elinchrom skyport?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.