Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I needn't have been concerned....

Scuff
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 09, 2007 13:34 |  #1

I have been mulling over in my mind for the past year or so as to what camera body to purchase to backup my 1dsII. Deciding was based on the following options:

1). Another (used) 1dsII.
2). A new 1dsIII.
3). A 1dIII.

I have been very pleased with my current 1dsII. Being used to the operation and output of the body, and having spare batteries and the same charger. This would make sense. If I could find a new one, I would be spending around £4500 on a camera that has now been replaced by the 1dsIII. A used one was probably the way to go, pick up one from an 'upgrader' at around £2000-£2500 with a low shutter count. I have no problems with the images from this camera, it still produces stunning quality.

A new 1dsIII - mmmm, fantastic bit of kit but at around £6000 it would have to produce noticeably better quality than its predecessor. I had a play with one and loved the new menus etc. but reading many users opinions, the image quality was better, but not 'that' much better.

Whilst the 1dIII has had its problems, most reviewers and users were getting excellent quality images. Could the quality approach that of the 1dsII?

I made an uncomfortable decision to go for the last choice. Had I done the right thing? Well I am sitting here grinning like a cheshire cat. I did make the right decision. I purchased a 'fixed' 1dIII. The images I have shot are very close to those from the 1dsII, and better in some respects. I am very impressed with the speed and accuracy of focusing (locking onto and tracking cars coming in the opposite direction - SWMBO was driving)!! I now have a new set of lenses (with the 1.3 crop). I have no hesitation in using this camera body for anything, but I will be keeping the 1dsII for those wide shots with the 16-35 and for use with my 24TSE.

Just thought I would share my pleasure - thanks for reading.

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

sponsored links
ikolpdog
153 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 10, 2007 14:17 |  #2

Scuff wrote in post #4470015 (external link)
Just thought I would share my pleasure - thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting, so are you saying the 1DsII is bettered by the 1DIII? Not that I could justify buying either with my current ability, but I am curious to hear your black/white conclusion, or is it all grey :D.

7D, EOS 33, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L, 24-70 f2.8 L, 180 Macro f3.5 L, EF 28 f1.8, EFS 10-22, 1.4x II Extender and 580EXII.

Scuff
THREAD ­ STARTER
520 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 10, 2007 17:21 as a reply to  @ ikolpdog's post |  #3

Both are great cameras.

The 1DsII beats the 1D3 in resolution. The 1D3 beats the 1dsII in speed and high iso noise. Both well known and obvious statements I know...

What I am trying to say in my post is that, I was concerned that I would lose out on quality when buying the backup for the 1dsII. The fact is, I would not hesitate to take on the type of images that are the presumed domain of the 1DsII, with the new 1D3.

HTH

Regards

Scuff
Canon EOS 1Dx II, M5, XF400: 16-35 f4Lis, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8Lis III, 70-300 f4/5.6Lis, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 600ex-RT (3x), ST-E3 RT.
My flickr page (external link)

BogongBreeze
353 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 10, 2007 17:32 |  #4

Excellent and congratulations on the new addition. Sounds like a winning combination :)

Miriam
---------------
40D and various lenses

echo
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 10, 2007 18:20 |  #5

Congrats Scuff :)

I just got the same 1D mk III to go with my 5D and although I've not had much time to fully test it I am so far a very happy bunny too! As you say, the lens collection just became more flexible :)

http://www.RecordProdu​ction.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/RecordProduction (external link)

flipm3
472 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 22, 2007 23:26 |  #6

i just replaced my 5D with a 1DIII...at first i was scared because i would lose resolution and possibly detail...

i was wrong...i love my decision to switch.

even though i moved to 1.3x it has not effected me too much. i miss my fisheye on the full frame, but it is still fishy. the 24mm has less distortion which i actually kind of like. the 85L focusses much quicker!!!

1DIII has gotten a bad rep for their focusing, but once fixed, its great. luckily, mine has not exhibited any focusing issues.

for those that are in the same situation as the OP, 1DIII is an excellent camera!!

Canon 6DWG | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 580EX

GerBee
Goldmember
1,026 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 23, 2007 04:09 |  #7

IMO, it won't

But the MK3 is quite a complimentary camera to have with your existing kit, and as you say, you are happy with the images.

I'm waiting for my fix ~ had a very busy week upto Saturday 22nd, came close to smashing my MK3 had to make 2nd, 3rd and even 4th choices from simple P&S situations ~ :evil:

Scuff wrote in post #4470015 (external link)
Whilst the 1dIII has had its problems, most reviewers and users were getting excellent quality images. Could the quality approach that of the 1dsII?

sponsored links

1,592 views & 0 likes for this thread
I needn't have been concerned....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.