Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Dec 2007 (Tuesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2007 16:49 |  #31

I've read things along those lines in the big lens/funny remarks thread. I wonder what facet of human nature that plays on.

Whatever it is I expect a Hawaiian shirt, shorts and a sun hat will cancel it out! :lol:

Mike

Gear list

sponsored links
SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 13, 2007 16:55 |  #32

I shoot allot of early morning stuff in and around downtown Van. The meth cheerleaders are usually out and I've had a few try and scam me into stopping. I just make eye contact early and hold it, they usually scurry off.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

xpsentity
542 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 13, 2007 17:03 |  #33

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4491526 (external link)
It would be a lot easier (and probably safer) in Europe if we were allowed to shoot people, like the Americans are! :lol:

I'm sure a lot of people would think twice about trying to swipe someone's camera bag if they knew they stood a chance of ending up with a few extra holes in them.

Mike

Funny you should say that. When I'm out and about hiking or trekking, I usually have my .45 with me. It's actually saved my gear (and possibly me) once. I was out shooting in the middle of the desert north of Phoenix at sunset - a car full of 16-20yr old kids came along the trail. A couple of them got out and starting making small talk, and eyeballing my things.. one of them noticed the holster on my belt and sorta motioned to his friends, who all left shortly thereafter.

Problem is, a lot of the people who would steal your things have guns too ;)

Black boxes, glass shards
http://entityzero.devi​antart.com (external link)

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 13, 2007 17:57 |  #34

Hmm, that's a difficult one. Shoot first and ask questions later maybe? :-D

Mike

Gear list

Mike ­ J.
193 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 13, 2007 19:37 as a reply to  @ Mike-DT6's post |  #35

Along these same lines....I have never had equipment stolen but I did once have what appeared to be a homeless type try to sell me some very expensive camera equipment for next to nothing....a bag with a very nice Nikon, several lens and many attachments. I have to admit, I was Oh so tempted but then right is right. I flagged a policeman down several minutes later and reported it...don't know if he recovered the equipment or not....I consider myself very honest but being a photography lover....I have thought about it many times...of course, had it been Canon equipment.....naw!

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 13, 2007 21:38 |  #36

ebay

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

doidinho
Goldmember
3,352 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 14, 2007 01:33 as a reply to  @ Mum2J&M's post |  #37

A couple of weeks ago I was in Rio de Janeiro and decided to head out before dawn for some sunrise/golden hour shooting. I left at 5:00am, my first stop was at a snack bar to get some coffee. When I arrived there were a couple men talking; shortly after I arrived a third man arrived and proceeded to tell the other two that the thing I was carrying was a tripod and that there was likely a nice camera in my bag. He described a robbery scenario where he would grab my tripod, one man would hold me, and the third man would grab my camera bag. One of the other men quickly chimed in that it would be much easier to just use a gun, the third man simply smiled and didn't offer any comments. To the surprise of all three men I commented in Portuguese to the one that smiled "it must be strange to see someone out on the street at this hour taking photos" The other two men, obviously caught off gaurd, took off immediatly before the guy responded that "it is indeed strange to see someone out taking photos at this hour". I finished my coffee, and conversation, before heading out to my shoot. I have since returned to the US with all of my gear.

Robert McCadden
My Flickr (external link)
MM (external link)
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

jpvaz
407 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 04:29 |  #38

The closest to being robbed that i got was... being robbed.

Result:
- got my head hit with a baseball bat, 15 stitches (staples actually)
- stabbed on the right shoulder, 10 stitches after they removed the tip of the blade that broke and was stuck on the shoulder bone
- lost my Canon 10D + 70-200 f4L + shoulder bag + sigma 500 DG flash + extra batteries
- spent 2 week in the hospital
- spent 4 month's in physical therapy (probably wrong spelling)

And that's about it...

Ho... and in Portugal we don't have camera insurance, neither from stores or manufacturers or insurance company's.

João Vaz - = P O R T U G A L = - (external link)
Gear List (Last Update - 15/04/2008)
My Web Site (external link)http://www.pbase.com/j​pvaz (external link)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 14, 2007 04:43 |  #39

Quad wrote in post #4494058 (external link)
I have often wondered why the crime rate is so low in america, now I know.

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4494142 (external link)
Reciprocal irony I hope. :-)

I sincerely hope it was irony!;)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 14, 2007 04:45 |  #40

doidinho wrote in post #4501996 (external link)
A couple of weeks ago I was in Rio de Janeiro and decided to head out before dawn for some sunrise/golden hour shooting. I left at 5:00am, my first stop was at a snack bar to get some coffee. When I arrived there were a couple men talking; shortly after I arrived a third man arrived and proceeded to tell the other two that the thing I was carrying was a tripod and that there was likely a nice camera in my bag. He described a robbery scenario where he would grab my tripod, one man would hold me, and the third man would grab my camera bag. One of the other men quickly chimed in that it would be much easier to just use a gun, the third man simply smiled and didn't offer any comments. To the surprise of all three men I commented in Portuguese to the one that smiled "it must be strange to see someone out on the street at this hour taking photos" The other two men, obviously caught off gaurd, took off immediatly before the guy responded that "it is indeed strange to see someone out taking photos at this hour". I finished my coffee, and conversation, before heading out to my shoot. I have since returned to the US with all of my gear.

You went out in Rio before dawn - on your own!!!:eek::eek:

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2007 16:00 |  #41

Mum2J&M wrote in post #4500988 (external link)
ebay

Very good! :lol:

A couple of scary stories there with a Portuguese theme. Incidentally I was just watching Portugal on a property programme here in the UK and was thinking how nice it looked.

Mike

Gear list

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 18:15 |  #42

xpsentity wrote in post #4499641 (external link)
Funny you should say that. When I'm out and about hiking or trekking, I usually have my .45 with me. It's actually saved my gear (and possibly me) once. I was out shooting in the middle of the desert north of Phoenix at sunset - a car full of 16-20yr old kids came along the trail. A couple of them got out and starting making small talk, and eyeballing my things.. one of them noticed the holster on my belt and sorta motioned to his friends, who all left shortly thereafter.

Problem is, a lot of the people who would steal your things have guns too ;)

I was in Charleston and found myself in -probably- the wrong neighbourhood because a car full of bored-looking black youths zoomed past me and then turned around and started to follow slowly. I turned around and went back the way I'd come and they didn't follow. Since then I have got a concealed carry permit (not as a result of this though - I got it because I could and because I wanted to pass a serious practical shooting test). That's about the closest I've been. I would still turn around and go the other way - even if I was armed with either my .357 Magnum or my forthcoming Kahr 9mm subcompact - purely because although I'm entitled to shoot assailants dead, I don't want to have to go through all the legal hassles afterwards unless there's absolutely no other choice.

Regarding thugs that carry guns - most will go elsewhere if they see you're armed too as a stout armed response is risk and crooks are risk averse - they're gamblers not riskers.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 18:30 |  #43

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4499970 (external link)
Hmm, that's a difficult one. Shoot first and ask questions later maybe? :-D

Mike

That's the way to end up in jail.

The rules I have are very clear (as a concealed weapons permit holder):
1. Shooting somebody is an absolute last resort. You have to be seen by the law to be wholely innocent in bringing on the situation. Thus if you have words with somebody and it looks like escalating you have legally to extracate yourself from the situation by leaving or attempting to do so.
2. You are allowed to shoot somebody coming at you with a knife but only if they're within 21 feet of you.
3. Under the castle law, you have no duty of retreat in your own vehicle or your own home or your own business premises.
4. Intruders disturbed in your home can be assumed armed and shot on sight. No need for any warnings.
5. Altar ego - You are allowed to defend somebody else unarmed being attacked by an armed assailant. There's a sting in the tail there though - if they were not blameless in bringing on the situation then you could go to jail. Thus is a woman said to her boyfriend that he was a scum-sucking pig and he decided to kill her and was stabbing her repeatedly then you would not be able to shoot him as she was not blameless in bringing on the situation.

I hope that's not too off topic and I realise guns are a political hot potato. This, however, is an explanation of the current laws in South Carolina which I give to clarify readers on what can and cannot be done.

Thus, shoot first and ask questions later - it very much depends on the situation.

If you're in a bank that's not (legally) posted as "no concealed weapons" and an armed bank robber comes in to rob the place, as soon as his intent is known, you are entitled to shoot him dead.

If it's just somebody looking menacing and demanding your gear while pointing to his gun you're on dodgy ground.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,956 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2007 18:41 |  #44

Rhys, I was actually joking there! :-D

Interesting that you did detail the rules though because that was something I did wonder about.

Mike

:-)

Gear list

johneo
Goldmember
1,428 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Dec 14, 2007 19:19 |  #45

My wife put my big camera bag in the hall closet and left my video camera bag and my smaller camera bag where I put it. She didn't mention a word about moving it to me.

Panic? You'd better believe it! I tried to stay calm, checking my van (maybe I had left it in the van the day before?), checking my closet (usually put it in there when she nags me to move it), maybe I had put it in the computer room (seldom do but maybe?). Fianlly found it and ... WHAT THE HECK?!?! ... she put it UP on the shelf! The bag ain't light and I had visions of it being dropped before she could get it up there.

Well, that won't happen again ... we 'discussed' it :)

2 - 5DMKII's, Powershot SX 150 IS
7D, 5D, IR/5D, 10D, IR/10D, Elan 7NE
17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 100-400 L IS,
TS-E 24 f/3.5 L, 28-135 IS (x2), 50 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8 550EX, 430EX
40mm pancake

sponsored links

15,705 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.