Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Dec 2007 (Tuesday) 18:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2007 19:23 |  #46

They do some strange things that defy logic sometimes, don't they? I have found that it is best not to investigate too deeply because it only raises further questions that cannot be answered. :lol:

Gear list

sponsored links
rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 19:26 |  #47

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4506563 (external link)
Rhys, I was actually joking there! :-D

Interesting that you did detail the rules though because that was something I did wonder about.

Mike

:-)

I'm afraid I paraphrased them. The actual rules are here
http://www.scstatehous​e.net/CODE/t16c023.htm (external link)
http://www.scstatehous​e.net …0&result_pos=0&​keyval=326 (external link)
http://www.scstatehous​e.net …0&result_pos=0&​keyval=398 (external link)

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 19:30 |  #48

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4506757 (external link)
They do some strange things that defy logic sometimes, don't they? I have found that it is best not to investigate too deeply because it only raises further questions that cannot be answered. :lol:

Women think very differently from men and have very different values.

Men compete on terms of skills and possessions (number of moose heads on the wall, biggest car etc).
Women compete on terms of style and societal one-upmanship (cleanest, prettiest house etc).

Rhys

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2007 19:56 |  #49

Rhys, again, I was having a bit of a joke! We are definitely on different wavelengths when it comes to humour, aren't we? :lol:

Mike

:-D

Gear list

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 20:02 |  #50

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4506889 (external link)
Rhys, again, I was having a bit of a joke! We are definitely on different wavelengths when it comes to humour, aren't we? :lol:

Mike

Sorry. It's just that when guns are mentioned I get a bit serious. Having a concealed weapons permit puts a heavy responsibility on me - heavier than just having a gun.

I did appreciate the humour about men being unable to understand women and vice versa. My wife and I understand each other a bit more than most although sometimes she'll ask for something then tell me she asked for something different - lol. Often this is just something lost in the translation from US to UK English.

Didn't Churchill say "two nations divided by a common language"?

Rhys

Mike-DT6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 14, 2007 20:09 |  #51

As you probably know, guns are few and far between over here. We see mostly the fictional and 'glamorous' side of firearms, as portrayed in films, and that undoubtedly has a bearing on a lot of people's attitude towards them. :-)

I understand what you mean about things being lost in translation, despite our common language :-D That can be all part of the fun!

Mike

Gear list

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 14, 2007 20:40 |  #52

rhys wrote in post #4506411 (external link)
I was in Charleston and found myself in -probably- the wrong neighbourhood because a car full of bored-looking black youths zoomed past me and then turned around and started to follow slowly. I turned around and went back the way I'd come and they didn't follow. Since then I have got a concealed carry permit (not as a result of this though - I got it because I could and because I wanted to pass a serious practical shooting test). That's about the closest I've been. I would still turn around and go the other way - even if I was armed with either my .357 Magnum or my forthcoming Kahr 9mm subcompact - purely because although I'm entitled to shoot assailants dead, I don't want to have to go through all the legal hassles afterwards unless there's absolutely no other choice.

Regarding thugs that carry guns - most will go elsewhere if they see you're armed too as a stout armed response is risk and crooks are risk averse - they're gamblers not riskers.

The thing to keep in mind is that while a thug may have carried a gun for quite some time, and maybe even shot it, when they come up on a law abiding citizen who is armed, it is fairly safe to assume who is going to be a better shot.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 20:51 |  #53

braduardo wrote in post #4507047 (external link)
The thing to keep in mind is that while a thug may have carried a gun for quite some time, and maybe even shot it, when they come up on a law abiding citizen who is armed, it is fairly safe to assume who is going to be a better shot.

I wouldn't be too sure about that - they could be good or just get lucky. I was appalled last time I went onto the range. It takes constant practice to maintain accuracy. Thus I'm trying to get up there more often. There are public ranges - never been to one - but I gather they are scary - perhaps the crooks practice there? I belong to a fairly exclusive private shooting club. In fact we get a lot of law enforcement people using it for their shooting tests and practice and others gaining their CCW shooting qualification there too (I did).

One of the things I'd like to do is to get some nice photos of people shooting BUT I'd kinda like them to approach me about it rather than the other way around.

Rhys

braduardo
Goldmember
2,630 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 14, 2007 21:05 |  #54

rhys wrote in post #4507100 (external link)
I wouldn't be too sure about that - they could be good or just get lucky. I was appalled last time I went onto the range. It takes constant practice to maintain accuracy. Thus I'm trying to get up there more often. There are public ranges - never been to one - but I gather they are scary - perhaps the crooks practice there? I belong to a fairly exclusive private shooting club. In fact we get a lot of law enforcement people using it for their shooting tests and practice and others gaining their CCW shooting qualification there too (I did).

One of the things I'd like to do is to get some nice photos of people shooting BUT I'd kinda like them to approach me about it rather than the other way around.

There is always the luck factor. You can't ever get away from that. I do take some heart in knowing that most of the guns out in the hands of folks like that are more for show than anything. It's reassuring to know that most of them wouldn't know how to properly clean and maintain them, wouldn't take the time to be proficient in shooting, and a fair number of them wouldn't even know how to figure out what type of bullets they need to reload their gun. I know it's not the case for all of them.

It is a shame how soft the world has gotten on these types of things. I'm with you that the biggest hang-up with putting someone down that is intending me harm would be the legal ramifications.

I've taken my camera into some fairly sketchy areas of Minneapolis, and have gotten some funny looks, but I always just try to stay alert and look like I'm not one to be messed with. It's just as well that I don't have a permit, because the life of a person who would rob me is worth less than the batteries in my flash.

:rolleyes: ----Brad---- :rolleyes:
www.nybergstudio.com (external link)
40D: EF 17-40 f4 L ---- EF 70-200mm f4 L ---- EF 50mm f1.4 ---- EF 85mm f1.8

rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 14, 2007 21:06 |  #55

Mike-DT6 wrote in post #4506936 (external link)
As you probably know, guns are few and far between over here. We see mostly the fictional and 'glamorous' side of firearms, as portrayed in films, and that undoubtedly has a bearing on a lot of people's attitude towards them. :-)

I understand what you mean about things being lost in translation, despite our common language :-D That can be all part of the fun!

Mike

Part of the problem is that the UK media shows stock photos of unrelated weapons when they do a weapons story. Somebody was shot with an air-rifle and the media displayed a photo of an AK47.

There is a fictional glamorous side in which the good guy has the biggest baddest gun and defeats the criminal or has a little pea-shooter which he uses to defeat the heavily armed criminal. Unfortunately that glamorised guns and made it sexy for some of the bad guys to carry them.

At the same time, the media showed pictures of scary-looking guns (that weren't able to be legally owned) and spoke of the danger of privately owned guns. Then a series of lapses of dilligence by the police allowed some bad people access to legal weapons and they went and committed mass murders. That got blown up by the media (who're after sales and scandal sells more copies). Then the government acted and reduced firearm ownership to its lowest level ever.

An interesting factoid - more criminals carry weapons in the UK than ever before while private citizens have less than ever before. The two factors are not related.

So - yes - the media has affected peoples attitudes. On the one hand they show scary weapons and try to scare everybody. On the other they glamorise them showing them as the tool every hero uses. The only thing I can point out here without getting political is that the media's approach is a little unhealthy.

Rhys

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 15, 2007 02:05 |  #56

Has anyone had gear mugged off them?

Basically, has anyone been assaulted, robbed or had gear mugged off them? I don't mean gear stolen from your car or from your home during your absence - I mean while you were out shooting with a bunch of gear with you (in your bag, around your neck, over your shoulders etc.).

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on going to a 'dirty' section of the city to shoot an assignment in the upcoming weeks and another photog friend warned me about going there with all that gear.. and I started thinking about it for real.

So has anyone ever been threatened or robbed etc. of their gear? If so, what exactly did you lose (lenses, bodies etc.)?

Oh, and here's a funny one: Has anyone been forced to actually utilize their tripod as a form of self defence? Hahah.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

therock
201 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 15, 2007 02:16 as a reply to  @ Collin85's post |  #57

I don't know the area but do you have to go alone and long distances on foot?
It happens believe me. They even make neck straps with braided wire in them because thugs know to use a razor knife to cut straps.
It can happen anywhere really. Not allot of cameras around a tough neighborhood. So they go to a park.

therock @ alcphoto.net (external link)

50D/ EFS 10-22 / 17-55 2.8 IS / EF 50 1.4 / 28-135 Kit Lens / 70-200 2.8 IS / EF 300 f4L IS / EF 1.4x II

mister ­ wiggles
225 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2007 02:22 as a reply to  @ Collin85's post |  #58

use the lens with the furthest reach to keep a safe distance :)

-spam-
I heart the title fairy
7,703 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 15, 2007 02:35 |  #59

mister wiggles wrote in post #4508276 (external link)
use the lens with the furthest reach to keep a safe distance :)

haha, yeah. Get a 600f4 and a TC and shoot from a part of town where its safe ;)

Where are you thinking of going to shoot?

Carp - flickr  (external link)- Blog log (external link) - Get Crumpled
You say tomato, we say 1/125 @ f/5.6

sebr
Goldmember
4,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 15, 2007 02:48 as a reply to  @ -spam-'s post |  #60

Most problems happen in touristic areas, because the concentration of cameras is highest and tourist are usually careless.
I am not sure what you are planning to shoot, but taking action pictures of the mob or street gangs is surely not a good idea ;)

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M5 ; M1 ; 11-22 ; 18-150 ; 22/2.0 ; EF adapter; Manfrotto LED
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

sponsored links

15,689 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's The Closest You Have Come To Being Robbed Of Your Camera Gear?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.