Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 16 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 06:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Christmas Daughter 2

PG07
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2007 06:55 |  #1

I had such a great response from 'Christmas daughter 'I thought I'd post a couple more of her with a different background. Thanks:)

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

sponsored links
cdmonkey
Goldmember
1,819 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 16, 2007 07:12 |  #2

cute shots. They seem to have a little to much blue in them tho, I did a quick edit, I might have gone to far the other way tho.

Carl

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.carldavisphoto.co.​uk (external link)
www.www.thelittlebigpi​cture.co.uk (external link)
facebook (external link)

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 16, 2007 07:12 |  #3

both are great... but the scrunchy face on the second is awesome.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 16, 2007 07:18 |  #4

Cute baby. Yes, the original is not WOW and needs some PP. The fix from Carl is a great start. Must have a good framing, there is a lot of white there.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

cdmonkey
Goldmember
1,819 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 16, 2007 07:25 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #5

folowing on from what suzyview said I tried adding a quick frame.

HOSTED PHOTO

facebook (external link)

StroupePhotography
662 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 16, 2007 07:54 |  #6

cdmonkey wrote in post #4514125 (external link)
cute shots. They seem to have a little to much blue in them tho, I did a quick edit, I might have gone to far the other way tho.

Carl

Wow. I love the PP. Can you tell us what you did to make it pop ?

Darrell...Canon XT (for sell )..40d.5D..
Canon50 mm f/1.8 II,28-135 IS, Ab 800, AB Large softbox,, (2)WL 1600 and brolly,Still building back more as money allows
http://stroupephotogra​phy.smugmug.com/ (external link)

TomTomTuning
Goldmember
1,983 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2007 08:07 |  #7

Awesome shots, great PP cdmonkey

5D Mark III, 40D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 50L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Gear List & Feedback Links
Flickr (external link) l 500px (external link) l Google+ (external link)

cdmonkey
Goldmember
1,819 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 16, 2007 08:21 |  #8

I use a similar pp workflow most times although I vary it depending on the photo.

For these I did the following

Duplicate layer ( I always do that to start with so I can compare quickly and perhaps blend down to the original if I over do the pp)

Colour balance.

Curves or levels or perhaps both.

Then for these, I applied the portraiture plugin, which does a great job quickly of improving skin tones. I do it on a duplicate layer so that I can blend the effect down a bit. You can do what the plugin does manually but it takes longer.

Then I adjusted the levels some more but to lighten it again but this made the hat to white so I duplicated the layer and erased the blown out areas.

If I dont use Portraiture I will use the heal tool to smooth out skin then duplicate the layer run high pass and then set that as an overlay layer. this tends to give me the best results for sharpening. and you can duplicate the highpass layer to increase the effect (reduce the layer opacity to about half what the other one is, first one usually around 90%)

The border I do by using canvas size, click relative put in your size (change your background colour to what you want it to be first)

and as you will have your edits on seperate layer you can add layer effects such as drop shadow or stroke.

All this works much better on the full image size, as some of the steps will increase the artifacts created by the jpg of the small image.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

HOSTED PHOTO

facebook (external link)

chris ­ k
328 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 16, 2007 10:06 |  #9

really like the expressions ,esp on pic 2,sweet babie too

PG07
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2007

Dec 16, 2007 14:45 |  #10

Thanks for the responses. I have in the past had a little trouble getting the colour right with a white background. I pretty much left the colour alone on these two but can see the blue tinge now.Thanks for the tips.

"The poetry of photgraphy will always be more important than mechanics of the camera... you see the picture is taken with the eye,the heart.The most sophisticated camera in the world can never replace this." Jacques-Henri Lartigue
Peter:) canon400D 18-55 , 50mm 1.8,75-300,Sigma 17-50 F/2.8 EX OS HSM , 430EX II ,Lowepro slingshot 200AW. Sony a6000 , Sigma 30mm 1.4 e-mount, 17-50 kit and 55-200 kit.

t_money662
36 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 16, 2007 15:00 |  #11

cdmonkey wrote in post #4514330 (external link)
I use a similar pp workflow most times although I vary it depending on the photo.

For these I did the following

Duplicate layer ( I always do that to start with so I can compare quickly and perhaps blend down to the original if I over do the pp)

Colour balance.

Curves or levels or perhaps both.

Then for these, I applied the portraiture plugin, which does a great job quickly of improving skin tones. I do it on a duplicate layer so that I can blend the effect down a bit. You can do what the plugin does manually but it takes longer.

Then I adjusted the levels some more but to lighten it again but this made the hat to white so I duplicated the layer and erased the blown out areas.

If I dont use Portraiture I will use the heal tool to smooth out skin then duplicate the layer run high pass and then set that as an overlay layer. this tends to give me the best results for sharpening. and you can duplicate the highpass layer to increase the effect (reduce the layer opacity to about half what the other one is, first one usually around 90%)

The border I do by using canvas size, click relative put in your size (change your background colour to what you want it to be first)

and as you will have your edits on seperate layer you can add layer effects such as drop shadow or stroke.

All this works much better on the full image size, as some of the steps will increase the artifacts created by the jpg of the small image.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Wow, I love the difference that made on this particular shot...No offense to the OP, but it looks much better..Could you tell me more info on the portraiture plugin you used and where to get it..I would love to try it out

sponsored links

1,488 views & 0 likes for this thread
Christmas Daughter 2
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.