Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 20 Dec 2007 (Thursday) 10:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great Horned Owl in populated area

montreal
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 20, 2007 10:41 |  #1

The crows seemed very irritated about something this morning... making a lot of noise... And when I looked to see what they were jabbering about, I saw this unusual visitor! You have to understand that this is in the tree behind my appartment, and that I live in a densely populated area. Usually the only birds I see from my window are sparrows - and crows of course :)

Both were taken with the 5D and the 70-200 at 200mm, 1/1000, f4, ISO400, both heavily cropped.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D - 17-40L, 70-200L f4, 50 f1.4, PowerShot A430

sponsored links
Richtherookie
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 20, 2007 11:55 |  #2

Awesome, i love owls. Hope that blood is from dinner and not an injurie. looks like you were about under it! Great job, thanks for sharing

Canon 40D, Rebel XT, Kit lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 50mm F/1.8II, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.ne​t (external link)

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2007 12:59 |  #3

It looks like an injury to me...I hope not.

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 20, 2007 13:46 |  #4

Couple of nice shots. Looks like he has a pigeon there, but hard to tell.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

montreal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 20, 2007 17:49 |  #5

No worries; it was lunch, not an injury. I also thought it was injured at first glance, but I felt much better when I saw it gulping down big chunks of its "injury".

I also think it's a pigeon... it was all feathery and white. Later on it ate something grey and furry... probably a squirrel. I wish I would have seen it catch that one! I've been doing a little reading and apparently they can catch skunks, racoons and cats.

I have another pic, taken later in the day, where it has nothing between its claws. The owl stayed there a good 3 hours before it left because the neighbour (who wasn't aware of anything) started using his snowblower right under the tree.

Richtherookie wrote in post #4541201 (external link)
Awesome, i love owls. Hope that blood is from dinner and not an injurie. looks like you were about under it! Great job, thanks for sharing

Actually I was almost as high as the bird. That's the nice thing about it being in town... I could actually climb up to the third floor on the fire escape and get a better shot! :)

avwh
Goldmember
1,297 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2007 17:51 |  #6

montreal wrote in post #4543035 (external link)
Actually I was almost as high as the bird. That's the nice thing about it being in town... I could actually climb up to the third floor on the fire escape and get a better shot! :)

You can't do THAT in wildlife areas or parks!

Allen
50D/10-22S/17-55S IS/70-200L f2.8 IS/400L f5.6 /500L f4.5/100L f2.8 IS macro
my gallery: http://allenh.zenfolio​.com/ (external link)

Duane ­ N
Cream of the Crop
9,075 posts
Gallery: 198 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 20, 2007 18:09 as a reply to  @ avwh's post |  #7

Great capture of an early morning/late evening bird of prey. I have a pair that nest close to my property (I hear them all the time at night calling to each other) but haven't seen one in good lighting conditions.

www.3rdicreations.com (external link)

montreal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2007 18:14 |  #8

avwh wrote in post #4543045 (external link)
You can't do THAT in wildlife areas or parks!

I know! It was really great!

Duane N wrote in post #4543141 (external link)
I have a pair that nest close to my property (I hear them all the time at night calling to each other) but haven't seen one in good lighting conditions.

Wow... I'm sure you'll get them someday... You're lucky to have them there that's for sure.

Question for those who know great horned owls: do the individuals keep to a specific territory or are they more nomadic? If they have a territory, how big is it? Is it very unusual to see them in densely populated areas or not? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to check that tree 10 times a day like I've been doing since yesterday :)

jlcarnagey
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 21, 2007 18:16 |  #9

Thats nice that he likes cats. Send him over to my neighborhood. Good picture even in town.

memorex88
Goldmember
1,472 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 21, 2007 18:27 |  #10

montreal wrote in post #4549036 (external link)
Question for those who know great horned owls: do the individuals keep to a specific territory or are they more nomadic? If they have a territory, how big is it? Is it very unusual to see them in densely populated areas or not? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to check that tree 10 times a day like I've been doing since yesterday :)

WOW great catch! I'm glad it was dinner and not an injury.
I can't answer your question but I'm curious as to where in town this was located?
I've been looking for Owls in parks and still haven't seen one, yet alone taken a picture! Congrats!

Marco
My Gear

montreal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2007 20:04 |  #11

memorex88 wrote in post #4549086 (external link)
I can't answer your question but I'm curious as to where in town this was located?

I live in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, in one of those typical Montréal appartments with the crazy outdoor stairs and the "ruelle" in the backyard. The owl was in the tree in the backyard. There is only one tree. It's a densely populated area and I've never seen an owl there before (lived here for nearly 3 years).

memorex88 wrote in post #4549086 (external link)
I've been looking for Owls in parks and still haven't seen one, yet alone taken a picture! Congrats!

A few years ago I know we got to see fantastic owl pictures from forum members here taken in Parc du Cap St-Jacques, in the western part of the island. I've never been there myself.

I would still be grateful if anyone had any info about how normal/unusual it is for GHOs to be seen in big cities.

owlboy
70 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 21, 2007 21:21 as a reply to  @ montreal's post |  #12

I would still be grateful if anyone had any info about how normal/unusual it is for GHOs to be seen in big cities.

No, it is not that unusual for them to be spotted in cities. Great-Horned Owls ("GHO") can be found almost anywhere (Cities, deep forest, deserts, etc.)

As for food, GHO have a menu of 250+ species, which include mice, voles, insects, fish, rabbits, cats (under 12 pounds), small dogs, rattlesnakes, ducks, geese, and even foxes. Their favorite menu item is rabbits. Last year I witnessed a GHO (south of Coxsackie NY - 250 miles south of Montreal - loaded with GHOs and other owls) attempt to take a tom turkey. That was quite a sight! GHOs are on the top of the food chain. Their only predators are humans, mature bobcats, and mountain lions.

GHO start to nest in the December/January time frame.They usually use a productive nest for 3-5 years before moving on to a new spot. If it is not productive, they will not use it again.

montreal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2007 21:28 |  #13

Thank you owlboy! That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

As for their territory (not of the species in general but of specific individuals), do you know if it's very large? Am I likely to see that bird again in that same tree? (I remind you: lots of human disturbance around).

ajosteve
Cream of the Crop
16,468 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 21, 2007 21:53 |  #14

You can check at the base of trees and see the pellets with bones in them, then you know an owl is using that tree to eat and rest. There is a tall palm tree near my folks house and the ground is littered with these pellets full of bones. I haven't seen the owl, but it stays up there amoung the follage. steve

Steve

owlboy
70 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 23, 2007 19:33 as a reply to  @ ajosteve's post |  #15

Great-Horned Owls generally have a territory of 1 square mile, and generally stay in the territory the entire year. While the pair mate for life, they don't stay together outside of the nesting season. They are more solitary. If the pair decides that the present territory is not sufficient, they will move to another area. They generally do this every 3-5 years. When the owlets disperse in late summer, they can move up to 150 miles from their parents.

Great-Horned Owls are habitual. They generally visit the same places at the same time each day. If the weather is poor, they may skip a day. They generally hunt around dusk and dawn, but can sometimes be found hunting in the late afternoon. Especially if they are nesting or it is cloudy.

Generally Great-Horned Owls are not too afraid of humans. They are at the top of the food chain, and they know it. They can be quite brave sometimes. They have been known to climb inside chicken cages near people. I have been told by people that a Great-Horned Owl flew in an snatched their cat, who was right at their side. They are fairly common in public parks. During nesting, they have been known to attack people who venture too close to their nest. They are extremely aggressive during nesting season. Most people who have been attacked describe it as a terrifying experience.

sponsored links

2,053 views & 0 likes for this thread
Great Horned Owl in populated area
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.