Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Dec 2007 (Saturday) 21:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Interview for a Event Photographer

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 22, 2007 21:41 |  #1

Hi guys. I will have a job interview as an even photographer in Oklahoma. My question is, WHAT do I need to bring to the interview?

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 22, 2007 21:59 |  #2

Last time I interviewed an event photographer, I asked him for a portfolio, a business license, and his insurance policy.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

leninglass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2007 01:11 |  #3

What is a business license? and insurance policy? sorry im kind of a noob

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3

MXerMerin
20 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2007 01:52 |  #4

You need a business license to run a business. Insurance is pretty self explanatory, every business should have insurance to protect against being personally liable when sued.

leninglass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2007 02:03 |  #5

How do I get a license? and how do I get an insurance?

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 23, 2007 09:50 |  #6

I'm presuming this event photographer job is not as an employee, but they're expecting to hire you as a business, correct? If so, to my understanding if you don't have a business license (talk to your local city management) you're operating illegally.

Regarding insurance, it would be the liability for damage or lawsuit relating to the work, and the need for it might vary depending on what types of events you're shooting. In my case, it was cars on racetracks, where liability is certainly an issue. I suppose there are other events which are much less potential for liability issues, and you could argue whether having insurance was necessary, or perhaps if this is a one-off job, whoever's hiring you might be able to cover you under their policy. There's a long thread on insurance, at https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=54745

Dave

Facebook (external link)

leninglass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 23, 2007 20:13 |  #7

Hmm.. Ok thank you so much for the tips guys! I will make sure that they will be hiring me as an employee. As for the insurance, hopefully they will have it for me.

For the portfolio, how many pictures should I have?

Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 24, 2007 04:09 as a reply to  @ leninglass's post |  #8

sorry, but is this thread for real?

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 24, 2007 09:14 |  #9

i was going to say the same thing gary, but everyone has to start somewhere

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

mitchella68
125 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 24, 2007 10:07 |  #10

This may be a great opportunity for you to learn what its going to take to be a photographer. I know from the very little experience I have so far is it is surprising how much time you have to put in to even do " events". Your business licence is the easy part. Getting insurance is a little more of a complicated issue. But going to this interview can be an educational experience. Just remember that insurance is a really important, without experience it will not be hard to set yourself up for a lawsuit.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/30531800@N08/ (external link)
Mark II, 1Ds mkII
300 2.8 500 f4
70-200 2.8
24-70 2.8

leninglass
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 26, 2007 22:36 |  #11

Thanks for the reply mitchella68. And yes this is a real thread people. I thought this forum was a good place to start photography and ask the dumbest questions that are easy for the members to answer but difficult for me as I am a newbie.

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 27, 2007 09:14 |  #12

For the portfolio, how many pictures should I have?

How many great ones do you have? If you only have 4, then I'd only show 4.
Otherwise, I'd show 6-10 & have a few more in reserve if they ask for more. Remember, they don't all have to be event shots.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Alexajlex
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 27, 2007 10:58 |  #13

I guess it all depends on what you are doing.

There are many freelancers who do not have a business license and get paid and file a 1099 and pay taxes on it.
Most of photojournalists work this way.

Gear: 40D | XTi gripped | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 | Sigma 20 1.8 | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Canon WD-58 WA Converter | 580EX II | Sunpak 383

"Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light..."

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 27, 2007 12:01 |  #14

I wouldn't disagree that it's happening, but my point was that in the USA, I think those "many freelancers" are operating illegally if they don't have a business license. It's like hiring an illegal alien - nobody's saying it doesn't happen, but when somebody asks whether you should do it or not, especially on a public forum, I feel the correct response is "no".

From the SBA (external link):

Business Licenses

A state business license is the main document required for tax purposes and conducting other basic business functions. Many states have established small business assistance agencies to help small businesses comply with state requirements.

Facebook (external link)

showngo
250 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 27, 2007 12:09 |  #15

leninglass,

Good luck, I really do not think that they will hire you as an employee, most people will not do that, it changes the way the IRS taxes them, they have to pay al sorts of costs. They will most likely hire you as an independent contractor.

In that case you do not need insurance, if they do not require you to have it. That being said, if this is something that you want to pursue as a full time gig or even part time, get the insurance. Talk to the agent you use for your Home/Renters/Car Insurance about it, they will point you in the right direction.

As for the business license you need it in every city that you operate, get it. They usually do not cost much, and save a lot of hassle.

Also are you doing this under a company name? If so register it with you state, and get a Tax ID number from the IRS (look at your state website for forming a company, they will have a guided list, then go to the IRS website to get the Tax ID).

This sounds overwhelming but it is pretty easy once you do it. When they hire you they may need you to fill out a W9 form, if you do this as a business and have a tax id number you will not have to use your SSN and your Tax guy will be a lot happier with you.

Best of luck to you.

Ben
My Gear (external link)

sponsored links

2,332 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interview for a Event Photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.