Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Dec 2007 (Friday) 02:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Surviving vista - any tips?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 28, 2007 02:30 |  #1

I used the CDS's guide to "fine tune your XP based workstation" and love it, but alas, got a PC with vista on it.

I did similar stuff with vista, from what I could find in the maze of options they decided to change from all other versions of windozas.

Do you have any tips in terms of vista tweaks, dos and don'ts? How to optimize it for work and raw processing?

Thanks

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
expatdude
176 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 28, 2007 03:02 |  #2

http://www.tweakhound.​com/vista/index.htm (external link)

Great site for XP. The guy has also done similar stuff with Vista, though I've never run Vista, all the stuff I learned from him about XP has been invaluable.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2007 09:06 |  #3

Install it. Leave it alone. Don't install any download.com crap on it and stay away from Norton.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

kevin_c
Cream of the Crop
5,745 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Dec 28, 2007 10:04 |  #4

cosworth wrote in post #4582694 (external link)
Install it. Leave it alone. Don't install any download.com crap on it and stay away from Norton.

Best piece of advice ever! :-) (I use NOD32)

I have it, and have installed all the applications I need (and a few i don't) and have had no real trouble with it.

HERE (external link) are a few Vista tweaks etc.

-- K e v i n --

Nikon D700, 17-35mm, 28-105mm, 70-200mmVR, 50mm f/1.4
Canon EOS 3, 24-105L, 135L

rzych
59 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2007 10:31 |  #5

I have an XP desktop and Vista laptop that I purchased several months ago. Having heard of all the Vista "issues" which were real, I was convinced I needed to stay away from Vista on the laptop, however, I relented and have to say for me, in a non-commercial environment processing Canon raw files using DxO, LightZone, and PS, Vista has not given me one bit of a problem. I tweaked it a bit using a guide from http://www.notebookrev​iew.com/ (external link), but on the whole stayed away from doing anything drastic. Vista has been "invisible" to me on a two month old laptop.

Rudy
10D, 5D, 17-40, 24-105

undergrad.
197 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 28, 2007 10:43 |  #6

I know this is not what your looking for as far as tips go but I would downgrade to XP.
Vista is a huge memory whore and still isn't stable enough to be used in my opinion.

Flickr (external link)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 28, 2007 10:49 |  #7

undergrad. wrote in post #4583204 (external link)
Vista is a huge memory whore....

I think maybe you should read up on what vista does with memory before spouting rhetoric.

Think of it like this. If you had 10 hot wives would you only sleep with one of them? Or would you not sleep with all 10?

Vista uses all the memory it can and swaps VERY efficiently between apps that require more and less dynamically.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

undergrad.
197 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 28, 2007 11:03 |  #8

In my experience it just requires a lot more memory compared to xp to run smoothly.
I'm running 256MB of ram on the machine I'm currently on and it runs quite well for the most part. I was running on my friends new computer with vista which had 2GB's of RAM and it was running much slower.
From what I have read a lot of this is due to vistas interface.

Flickr (external link)

DocFrankenstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 28, 2007 11:11 |  #9

undergrad. wrote in post #4583319 (external link)
In my experience it just requires a lot more memory compared to xp to run smoothly.
I'm running 256MB of ram on the machine I'm currently on and it runs quite well for the most part. I was running on my friends new computer with vista which had 2GB's of RAM and it was running much slower.
From what I have read a lot of this is due to vistas interface.

hahaha

I didn't check out vista at all before I got the new preinstalled computer. When I saw the transparent windows effect, I almost barfed - it felt like a mac.

Fortunately you can undo all of that nonsense if you look hard enough. Now it looks like windows NT, and if you resize or move a window, only the frame moves... etc.

As CDS says - no fluffy stuff.

And Norton comes prepackaged with my internet connection AND the PC. :confused: I have it installed, but had to turn off the firewall, because it wouldn't allow me to use intranet.

Another thing - MSN messenger, when installed is not allowed to run but vista itself. hahaha

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

undergrad.
197 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 28, 2007 11:15 |  #10

Did changing the vista theme speed it up at all?

To be honest the main reason I'm again vista is because my first experience with it was horrible. My friend purchased a e-machine from tiger direct and the number of error messages he got on the initial startup was insane.

Flickr (external link)

V8Rumble
496 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 28, 2007 11:21 |  #11

thats what he gets for buying an emachine.

30D | 18-50 EX | 30 EX | 55-250 | 150-500 OS HSM

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,947 posts
Gallery: 258 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 28, 2007 12:24 |  #12

My only experience of Vista is trying to view a cd of smallish jpegS on a laptop boasting 2gb of RAM. Waited a full 5(five) minutes, whie the "in store demonstrator" got redder and more embarrassed, before finally giving up. Same cd opened in seconds on my home pc running 512mb of RAM and XP Pro.

V8Rumble
496 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 28, 2007 18:42 |  #13

The demo comp could've had a dvd drive that couldn't read the cd-r's you used. So many cd manufacturers like to make cd's out of spec, so they only work on some drive and not others. Quite common,

30D | 18-50 EX | 30 EX | 55-250 | 150-500 OS HSM

lkrms
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
4,558 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 28, 2007 18:53 |  #14

Some people report having success with Vista, but as a bit of a nerd with a few legacy apps to run, I have to say I wouldn't touch it with a forty foot pole.

My wife uses it and it took me several days to get Quickbooks running on her machine. Admittedly it was an older version of Quickbooks, but her boss (my father-in-law) didn't want to upgrade (fair enough, too!), so I had a royal fight on my hands.

I work in IT (with plenty of experience as a software developer and in tech support), and at least until SP2 I won't even consider using Vista. It is slow (even with 1GB of memory and NO applications open) and broken (won't run a lot software or talk to a lot of hardware).

Why else would Dell be allowing people to order their machines with XP still? They went Vista-only at first, but obviously everyone wanted XP back.

Luke
Headshot photographer Sydney and Newcastle (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link)

PBeeee
559 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2007 22:16 |  #15

25,000 keeper images and counting on a desktop with Vista, not one tweak and not one bump, oops or #@$%^. Photoshop, Lightroom plus Vista's picture capabilties. Downloading various cameras regularly. I will happily upgrade my field laptop to it as soon as needed.

sponsored links

4,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
Surviving vista - any tips?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.