Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Dec 2007 (Sunday) 22:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Error Code 01 on New Canon 40D

Hy5
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 30, 2007 22:58 |  #1

Hello,

I just joined this forum and just joined the digital world. Finally I'm giving up film. I have been using a Canon EOS since the 650 and most recently was using an EOS Elan 7e.

I got a brand new Canon 40D camera body for Christmas, attached my Tamron Aspherical XR 28-200 mm lens, and started shooting great photos of my kids. Then, I started to get a periodic "Error 01" code which states: "Communication between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts."

Well, the code is becoming more and more recurrent and the lens contacts are very clean. The camera actually shoots the picture but instead of displaying it on the LCD screen, it provides the error message and I have to turn the camera on and off to get rid of the message, only to have it return with successive shots.

My wife is convinced it is a lens problem. She normally pays little attention to my electronic misadventures (computer troubles, etc.) but she may be right about this one. I would love to get a new lens to go with my new camera anyway. She reminded me that while I was waiting for my 40D to come in, the shutter of my EOS Elan 7e (with the same Tamron lens attached) started sticking. The viewfinder would just go black when I took a shot and I would have to turn the camera on and off. I thought the shutter was wearing out since that camera is a few years old. But, when I got my film developed, not a single photo was ruined, so it wasn't the shutter sticking. Does this sound like a lens problem? I would love some thoughts.

Thanks.

Hy5

sponsored links
Proctorr
185 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 31, 2007 02:14 |  #2

Take a qtip and dab some rubbing alcohol on the qtip. After, gently rub the alcohol on the lens contacts (on just the lens side...40D should be nice and clean). After, just wait for it to dry, or carefully wipe it off.

It should work.

1D Mark II | 70-200mm F2.8L | 17-40mm F4.0L

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,016 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 31, 2007 02:41 |  #3

Your wife may be right. If the lens shows problems on 2 bodies then it may have a fault.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Dec 31, 2007 05:31 as a reply to  @ Jonathan's post |  #4

No other lens to try?

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

Hy5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 31, 2007 09:04 |  #5

Proctorr wrote in post #4600555 (external link)
Take a qtip and dab some rubbing alcohol on the qtip. After, gently rub the alcohol on the lens contacts (on just the lens side...40D should be nice and clean). After, just wait for it to dry, or carefully wipe it off.

It should work.

Thanks. I will try that.

Hy5

Hy5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 31, 2007 09:05 |  #6

dave kadolph wrote in post #4600984 (external link)
No other lens to try?

I do have another lens, but it is a fixed focus lens. I seem to have problems when zooming which makes me wonder about the lens itself. I will try my fixed focus lens.
Thanks.

Hy5

Michael1116
429 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 31, 2007 11:26 |  #7

Fixed Focus Lens?
You mean it's focusing mech is broken? or what?

Some older third party lens have trouble on newer DSLR's. Something with the computer chip.

MySpace (external link)
My Flikr (external link)
Gear List

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 31, 2007 12:34 |  #8

I think you mean "fixed focal length"... In other words, a prime lens like a 50mm, etc.

Depending upon what it is, it might be fine. Especially if it is a Canon EF lens, it will give a better test of the 40D.

Please do not, I repeat, do not get Q-tips anywhere near the rear of the lens or anywhere inside the mirror box of the camera. Cotton swabs shed fine, tough threads that can jam a shutter or otherwise make a real mess of your nice new camera. It's usually an expensive repair ($250-300 for a shutter replacement, for example). Why take a chance?

Use a small pair of tweezers and lint free paper towel or tissue (Kleenex). Just tear off a small piece and put a few drops of isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on it, then wipe the contacts as suggested. (Note: I also don't recommend using a pencil eraser, which some folks might suggest. Erasers also can easily leave small particles in there where they can cause problems.)

Clean the contacts in the camera, as well. Not just on the back of the lens. It's possible there are some residual oils on them from manufacturing, or even a slight haze of oxidization on the camera's contacts in the camera, from storage and shipping, just the same as on the back of the lens.

However, I suspect your problem is more likely a matter of mixing an old lens that has some problem, with a new camera that's fine. Best bet would be to try a different lens and see if it solves the problems (on both cameras, for that matter).

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Hy5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 01, 2008 21:02 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #9

Thanks. I will definitely avoid the Q-tips and will see if I have a defective zoom lens.

Hy5

bajaiman
134 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 01, 2008 21:32 |  #10

I had the same intermittent Err 01 on my 1st copy of 17-55, turned out to be the error was from the 17-55 as other lenses that I've got never gave me the this type of error. I exchanged the lens and my 3rd copy is definitely a keeper.

My Stuff

mr_tonno
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 28, 2008 22:51 as a reply to  @ bajaiman's post |  #11

I've had the same issue with my 3 week old camera, I have tried 3 L Lenses and a Sigma Lens.

Im taking it back to Canon this week. Stay tune

khaz
147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 08:59 |  #12

I have the same problem with my 3rd party lens. The two Canon lenses I have from my film days work fine, but my zoom gets the error code off and on. Could it be a voltage problem with an orler lens?

Kevin

Just trying to get better!

sponsored links

19,508 views & 0 likes for this thread
Error Code 01 on New Canon 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.