Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Dec 2007 (Monday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Domke

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 31, 2007 23:49 |  #1

per aravena's advice, i figured it couldn't hurt to transplant my thread to this section. =)

after dropping roughly $2500 on photography eqiupment recently, i've realized that before the main parts ship in.. i'll need my new bag to hold it all. since i've already pretty much decided on getting a domke f-3x, i was wondering where people usually buy their domke gear. from the looks of it, adorama seems like the most legit place that carries the black one that i'm looking for, but it's full retail price at $100 and i'm really trying to pinch pennies now that i've cleared out much of my checking account already. anyone have any ideas on where i can get a somewhat discounted domke bag? (ebay has failed me, no joke.)

since this thread will undoubtedly be visited by jon sooner or later, since you live in my area.. if you know a local place that sells them, that'd be even better. =)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
RichNY
Goldmember
1,817 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 01, 2008 00:07 |  #2

B&H has decent prices on them. Unless you find one used I don't think you are going to find it less expensive elsewhere.

Nikon D3, D300, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2, 300 f/2.8, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, SB-800x4, SB-900, SU-800, (3) Sunpak 120J (2) Profoto Acute 2400s,Chimera softboxes, (4)PW Multimax, (6) C-stands, (3) Bogen Superbooms, Autopoles

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 01, 2008 08:28 as a reply to  @ RichNY's post |  #3

So you spent $2500 on gear and are now worried about spending $100 on a bag. Don't worry, we all do this when staring out. But after you spend money on a decent bag you will soon realize that a bag is just as important as the rest of your stuff, maybe even more important.

Have you considered that you will probably have your bag longer than your camera and lenses? A good bag can last you a very long time. Several members here have had their Domkes for 20 years or so, lasting through their film days and into digital. The bags have changed very little in design over the years which further proves their usefulness and ruggedness.

Don't fret over the amount of the bag, just make sure you get the size and style you want. I love my F-2 and F-3x and have no doubts that I will still have them in 10, 15, or 20 years.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 01, 2008 08:42 |  #4

"20 years or so"? My oldest F-2 is closer to 30 and going strong, as is my sister's. My F-1x is "only" about 20, I think.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2008 09:14 |  #5

Bought it from eBay since it's very hard to get here in the Netherlands. Also, the prices are insane here. Very fast delivery, the supplier was photococan.

Gear Flickr (external link) Photoblog (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 01, 2008 12:45 |  #6

Konijnenberg (external link) and Fimex (external link) both carry Domke ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2008 13:15 |  #7

René Damkot wrote in post #4608850 (external link)
Konijnenberg (external link) and Fimex (external link) both carry Domke ;)

I know, but both didn't have the products I needed in stock (f-802+f-901+720-230 insert).

I could order them there but it would probably take longer and it was almost 100euro more expensive than ordering from Canada :)

Gear Flickr (external link) Photoblog (external link)

bolantej
Goldmember
3,780 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 01, 2008 13:33 |  #8

I would say to save up a bit, and get the bag you want. It's hard to find one that isn't used for cheap. Domke bags are very worth it, IMO. I love my F-2.

minhi
604 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 01, 2008 16:33 |  #9

i bought my F2 on ebay for about $70, you can find decent deals if you know how to work ebay. if you don't just spend the extra $50 and buy it from b&h, the hard part is figuring out which bag will work for you best.

in search of my own choreo-animator (external link)

alt4852
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 01, 2008 23:42 |  #10

In2Photos wrote in post #4607665 (external link)
So you spent $2500 on gear and are now worried about spending $100 on a bag.

hahaha, i know it sounds silly but that's sort of the position i'm in right now. after dropping all that on my kit, i have roughly $600 in my checking account. since i'm financially irresponsible and i think i'm also going to drop some money to get a tripod/head for ~$250 soon, i'm left with very little money to spare. next semester, textbooks will undoubtedly cost me around $300-400. since i'm still working right now it's not too big a problem, but we're looking at only having around $400 or so left over after this massacre on my wallet to last me for misc spending over the next few months. in essence, every dollar counts.

the reason why i was asking about the bag is, i've cleverly (or not-so-cleverly) been able to use discounts/coupons/reba​tes to bring down the price of everything else that i'm buying, but the bag seems to have no sale prices.. ever. i was just curious if anyone else was able to snag a domke for less, but it looks like that isn't the case. well, there goes another $100 then. oh.. this hobby will be the death of me.

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links

1,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domke
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.