Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Histograms - An Infomercial

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 01, 2008 11:46 |  #1

I have made updates to my articles on Histograms - for those interested check out the links below:

************Histograms​***************
A short Tutorial on Histograms:
http://www.zaffora.com …togram_What_and​_HowTo.htm (external link)
or download as a PDF:
http://www.zaffora.com …togram_What_and​_HowTo.pdf (external link)

A Tutorial on Reading Histograms:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/ReadingHistogra​m.htm (external link)
or download as a PDF:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/ReadingHistogra​m.pdf (external link)
[This is later than the one above]

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

sponsored links
AccidentalArt
614 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 01, 2008 11:52 |  #2

Many thanks Robert. I'll give them a read. This is something i can sure stand to better understand. I've been trying the 'shoot to the right' but find it requires quit a bit more PP than getting it right the first time.

7D, RebelXT, 30D, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, Sigma 70-200 2.8 Macro, Sigma 1.4x TC, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Metz 54, 100-400IS, Kenko Ext Tube Set, 24-70 2.8, 180mm Macro, (2) GoPro

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,376 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Jan 01, 2008 11:57 as a reply to  @ AccidentalArt's post |  #3

Thanks for putting the work into this and making it available Bob. This is good "need to know" information that digital shooters should be up to speed on. Much appreciated.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Richard ­ Lincoln
39 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 01, 2008 16:35 as a reply to  @ Naturalist's post |  #4

No disrespect intended, I find that it is information like this that takes all of the fun out of photography. I do not doubt the integrity of the information but what happened to bracket, bracket, bracket? I'm sure that the results I achieved in the darkroom relied on little data other than that for mixing the chemicals. It was all trial and error and that is how I learned. going to the camera club and having my efforts judged by my peers, corrective advice readily given, gratefully received and faithfully applied.

It was results that mattered, not data processing. The content of the picture was the goal, not the technical correctness of it.

As I am writing this I am relising in my head that there are distinct paralells so I'm going to stop now before I paint myself into a corner.

Thanks for that Bob!

By the time you realise that this signiture isn't worth reading, its too late.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 01, 2008 16:39 |  #5

Richard Lincoln wrote in post #4609964 (external link)
No disrespect intended, I find that it is information like this that takes all of the fun out of photography. I do not doubt the integrity of the information but what happened to bracket, bracket, bracket? I'm sure that the results I achieved in the darkroom relied on little data other than that for mixing the chemicals. It was all trial and error and that is how I learned. going to the camera club and having my efforts judged by my peers, advice readily given and greatfully received.

It was results that mattered, not data processing. The content of the picture was the goal, not the technical correctness of it.

As I am writing this I am relising in my head that there are distinct paralells so I'm going to stop now before I paint myself into a corner.

Thanks for that Bob!

The histogram is quite important for some people. It's a graphical representation of the data you've captured. I use it to gauge if my eye is working to capture all that the camera can.

Don't dis the histogram, it is a key to understanding the difference between life in the darkroom and the digital age.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Richard ­ Lincoln
39 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 01, 2008 16:51 |  #6

Thats part o the dawn of realisation that occurred whilst i was writing my reply!

By the time you realise that this signiture isn't worth reading, its too late.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 01, 2008 16:59 |  #7

Bob - I never realized you were a Ham. So am I - call is KA9DDN.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Robert_Lay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 01, 2008 17:48 |  #8

SkipD wrote in post #4610091 (external link)
Bob - I never realized you were a Ham. So am I - call is KA9DDN.

Pse excuse the off-topic, but I am reading iWoz by Steve Wozniak and found out that he and his Dad studied for and got their tickets together.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

Denny ­ G
Goldmember
1,870 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 01, 2008 20:24 as a reply to  @ Robert_Lay's post |  #9

bracket, bracket, bracket

I have not heard that for years.

I've been in photography for 54 years. Digital has changed photography and I like it.

With film I knew what camera settings I needed to get a good shot. However, there were times that I just had a feeling I should adjust and take another shot.

Today with a digital camera I still have a feel for the set-up and when I shoot I have a good idea what the out come will be. However, just as in my film days I sometimes get that feeling. That is when you will see me look down and check the histogram.

Bob, I've read and studied about histograms. Your articles are very well put together. They have given me a chance to refresh. Thank-You

P.S. I never bracketed. Film and processing cost to much.

P.S. P.S. I worked out of a MARS outfit (KH6WAG) in 1957 as KH6CTL (Hawaii)

WMWARD2
362 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 01, 2008 23:58 |  #10

Thanks Bob, I felt as if the tutorials were written especially for my understanding, i.e., I am a retired quality engineer. I discussed histograms with my son-in-law just the other day and he immediately tried it out on the camera, I only wish I had a copy of your pdf's when discussing this.

Wally
Gear List

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,476 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 02, 2008 04:00 |  #11

Denny G wrote in post #4611272 (external link)
bracket, bracket, bracket

I have not heard that for years.

I bracket much more today and consider it one of the greatest benefits of digital. Especially in low light situations where the ISO is maxed out but my shutter speed is barely hand-holdable and a sharper but underexposed version might be better, it allows me to sort it all out at home and costs only time.

Elie / אלי

nwa2
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 02, 2008 05:00 |  #12

Richard Lincoln wrote in post #4609964 (external link)
No disrespect intended, I find that it is information like this that takes all of the fun out of photography. I do not doubt the integrity of the information but what happened to bracket, bracket, bracket? I'm sure that the results I achieved in the darkroom relied on little data other than that for mixing the chemicals. It was all trial and error and that is how I learned. going to the camera club and having my efforts judged by my peers, corrective advice readily given, gratefully received and faithfully applied.

Thanks for that Bob!

Understanding how the tools you are using work enable you to better understand the limitations and capabilities of your equipment and can only lead to better images, which is what we all want.

Photography has always been about information processing, in the past photographers worked in a purely analogue information space. Today we have a choice to work in either analogue or digital. Although I might argue that even when working on digital images I am still working in an analogue space for 99% of the time doing the D/A conversion in my head.

So - thanks Robert for increasing my understanding of the media I am using.

Canon 6D; 7D; 40D:
There are many tomorrows', but only one today!!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=Black]http://www.Abercrombie​.me.Uk (external link)
http://imagesix.wordpr​ess.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Histograms - An Infomercial
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.