Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Jan 2008 (Friday) 00:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rapid Strap! Anyone used it?

ZekaG
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 04, 2008 00:08 |  #1

Just stumbled on this cool looking strap: http://www.blackrapid.​com/ (external link)

Looks cool, not sure if it works as advertised. Here's the video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6EbaQaDiFoE (external link)

Anyone used it before, or have any other thoughts about it?
I like how you can store memory cards inside of it...

Shoot with Canon!

sponsored links
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 04, 2008 09:31 |  #2

I do that with my strap I have now. As for storing cards, it's quicker to reach into my pocket or pouch. I've never liked having them in the strap.

I guess pending on price, it wouldn't be too bad.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 04, 2008 09:39 |  #3

Looks interesting.

I use the UPstraps now and they work great. The longer length is worth it alone and is a primary benefit of this one.

I don't like things that hang on the tripod mount point because I use tripods or monopods frequently. I'd have to look at using the hook connector to hold onto some other part of the camera to use it.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Paul ­ Tinworth
945 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 04, 2008 09:43 |  #4

Looks great, but what happens if you have a lens without a tripod ring and you like to shoot vertically using the grip? The 'lock' ring looks like it'd get in the way of my hand. :(

~ Paul
Current kit: Fujifilm X-T1 | XF 16-55 f/2.8 | XF 50-140 f/2.8 | XF 56 f/1.2 | XF 80 f/2.8 Macro
Previously owned: Canon 5D Mark II | 40D | 50 f/1.4 EX | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Paul Tinworth Photography (external link) - Portraits, Weddings, and Events | Gear-list & feedback

jrsforums
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 04, 2008 15:31 as a reply to  @ Paul Tinworth's post |  #5

Actually you can do much the same thing with any strap (I happen to use an Op/Tech....a.k.a. POTN strap)

After a lot of frustrating juggling and knocking about using neck straps I found it much more convenient to just attach both sides of the strap to the left-hand side of the camera and hang the strap over my left shoulder. The camera hangs down out between arm and hip out of the way until needed, then swung into action easily without the strap getting in the way of the controls on the right side. It is especially effective with long lenses (which hang lens down) and/or when using a flash bracket.

Below is a shot of how I attach the strap on my 5D. I use a swivel snap connector taken from an Op/Tech parthttp://www.bhphotovide​o.com …em_Connectors_S​et_2_.html (external link) (though you can get metal ones from Ace hardware) and a 1" key ring.

One of the main advantages is that the weight is on the shoulder, not the neck. The camera is out of sight and secure -- steadied by the left hand - until needed, then able to be pulled up the the eye. If I'm carrying the shoulder bag on the right shoulder it balances the load. The weight of the camera can be lifted off the shoulder by simply grabbing it with the left hand to give the shoulder a break.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John

Gear List

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 04, 2008 16:19 |  #6

This would be similar to the rapidstrap if this could slide on the strap.

Check out Upstraps (http://www.upstrap.com (external link)) for a strap that will stay on your shoulder.

J

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

jrsforums
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 04, 2008 17:22 |  #7

JohnJ80 wrote in post #4631639 (external link)
This would be similar to the rapidstrap if this could slide on the strap.

Check out Upstraps (http://www.upstrap.com (external link)) for a strap that will stay on your shoulder.

J

I am not sure if you were reponding to my post.

If you were....as I described in this post (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=4589446&postcou​nt=19) the Op/Tech (POTN) Pro strap will allow the ability to slide up to shooting position as well as give a good grip on the shoulder. This configuration can also be positioned, as the 'Rapid Strap', over the neck and down the (left) side. The Op/Tech also provides extremely good "starin relief" due to the way it is constructed.

I am not sure where you were going with the 'Upstrap' comment....it does grip...but will definitely not allow easy swinging into position....primarily due to the "grippiness".

However....we each have to find what personally works best for us....

John

Gear List

ZekaG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 04, 2008 20:20 |  #8

I agree, everyone is different and requires different options... some people don't even like the strap...

UPSTRAP seems cool...

Shoot with Canon!

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 05, 2008 18:31 |  #9

jrsforums wrote in post #4632062 (external link)
I am not sure if you were reponding to my post.

If you were....as I described in this post (https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=4589446&postcou​nt=19) the Op/Tech (POTN) Pro strap will allow the ability to slide up to shooting position as well as give a good grip on the shoulder. This configuration can also be positioned, as the 'Rapid Strap', over the neck and down the (left) side. The Op/Tech also provides extremely good "starin relief" due to the way it is constructed.

I am not sure where you were going with the 'Upstrap' comment....it does grip...but will definitely not allow easy swinging into position....primarily due to the "grippiness".

However....we each have to find what personally works best for us....

Upstrap can be easily moved into position - I do it all the time pretty much as you describe with your optech strap. It does not grip unless there is force applied to it.

The difference between the rapidstrap and any other strap out there is that hook is loose on the strap and moves without the strap moving. That is its sole advantage and difference. Other than that, if the camera is fixed to a point on the strap, it is precisely like every other camera strap out there.

The Upstrap, because it does stay easily and securely on the shoulder removing the strain on the neck as you mentioned earlier.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

undergrad.
197 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 08, 2008 20:20 |  #10

It looks pretty interesting. I wish I was able to see it in person before purchasing it though.
I can't stand my current camera strap.

Flickr (external link)

ZekaG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 12, 2008 11:06 |  #11

undergrad. wrote in post #4661811 (external link)
It looks pretty interesting. I wish I was able to see it in person before purchasing it though.
I can't stand my current camera strap.

We can email some online camera gear rental companies and ask them if they could carry it...

Shoot with Canon!

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 12, 2008 11:45 |  #12

Interesting concept. I do that now with regular neck straps although it gets a bit tangly. For 48 to 56 dollars, that's a bit expensive! 20-30 bucks is more like it.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

undergrad.
197 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2008 19:46 |  #13

ZekaG wrote in post #4687973 (external link)
We can email some online camera gear rental companies and ask them if they could carry it...

Thats not a bad idea.
I'm curious how well it will work considering that my current lenses don't have anywhere for the attachment to hook onto.

Flickr (external link)

glassandgear
21 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 28, 2008 12:13 as a reply to  @ undergrad.'s post |  #14

I've been thinking about getting some of these straps for our rental cameras and having a few extra on the side for people to try out. If we end up getting them I'll let you guys know.

www.glassandgear.com (external link)

squeaky_clean
177 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2008 16:19 |  #15

I have 2 straps from black rapid and although they are kinda spendy, I think they are well worth it. They work just like advertised, and they are very well made (and in the US, I think, which probably accounts for some of the $$).

I also have to say they have some of the best customer experience I've ever seen! They went completely out of their way to get me a strap in time for a recent wedding, and all on their nickel. After using it, I have to say its the best way I've found thus far to carry both my cameras at weddings.

sponsored links

9,576 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rapid Strap! Anyone used it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.