Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jan 2008 (Friday) 00:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Indoor Car Show Tips

zasboy
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 04, 2008 00:13 |  #1

Hi all. I did a quick search about this subject and did not find anything useful for my situation.

There are several upcoming car shows. Most of the shows are inside a huge convention center. I am somewhat prepared for the events and got some ideas to play around and experiment with. I'll be mostly using my Tamron 17-50mm, tripod, shutter cable release, and a polarizer to take shots of the cars.

What I'm worry about is when taking shots with models in it. I'm thinking I will have to use my external flash unit but I'm really confused on the subject of using flash. I probably want to use some sort of diffuse lighting whether it comes from light bouncing off a wall, a type of diffuser, or any other techniques to diffused light. If I had to bounce light, then I would be in trouble since I'll be in a very large open area and bouncing light would seem impossible. So is my only option is to use direct flash? I do have "abetterbouncecard", a generic flash card, and a stofen cup. Is there a way I could use these to produce good shots? Also, I'll be shooting among other camera users so I probably be switching to my Sigma 70-200mm to get the half body and face shots. Oh, I have a feeling I'll be shooting in protrait mode most of the time so that would effect how I would use the flash unit. And another thing is if I do want to take a shot of the model in front a car, I'm worry that the flash will cause a huge reflection off the car.

If anybody has any tips for my situation, that would be great. Also, tips in general would be helpful to. Any information I gather will help me try new things out and learn while having fun :)

PhotosGuy
75,847 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 04, 2008 08:52 |  #2

I'd try to use the flash as fill, not to overpower the light already there, so on-camera with your card would be OK.
Auto show tips?

Help shooting auto show?

Don't go on a weekend if you can avoid it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Pete
Cream of the Crop
38,607 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 04, 2008 09:29 |  #3

Depending on how popular the show is, I'd be tempted to leave the tripod at home. It'll be unlikely that you'll be able to set up it how you like without causing an obstruction to the other attendees.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

zasboy
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 04, 2008 18:21 |  #4

To give you an idea where I'm going, here's the first event:
http://www.motortrenda​utoshows.com/sanjose/ (external link)

The second event is in San Francisco and will take place inside a very large car garage. So lighting here will be extremely poor.

I don't know what to expect because most car show events I goto are outdoor so I don't really need a tripod but since I'm trying indoor car shows, I have to formulate a plan to tackle the issue of light availability. I'm assuming it will be pack so a tripod wouldn't be such a good idea.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jan 05, 2008 04:35 as a reply to  @ zasboy's post |  #5

This has worked well for us in similar situations:

http://www.lumiquest.c​om/lq925.htm (external link)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,914 views & 0 likes for this thread
Indoor Car Show Tips
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.