Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 05 Jan 2008 (Saturday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: -=WARNING FAKE RC-1 on E-bay=- :(

smorter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 06, 2008 02:02 |  #16

:lol: the RC-1 seems less well regarded/useful than I thought it would be

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links
rhys
Dis-Membered
5,351 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 06, 2008 11:21 |  #17

The seller I bought my ebay flash triiggers and cable release from had perfect feedback. The triggers were a piece of crap and the cable release never ever arrived. I now don't deal with Chinese thieves.

Rhys

The empire conquers yet more galaxies:
www.sageworld.co.uk (external link)
www.sageworld.org (external link)
www.sagephotoworld.com (external link)
Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/t​hunderintheheavens (external link)

Free cheese comes only in mousetraps

smorter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2008 06:10 |  #18

Yeah same this dude had 99%. It's a shame, I think I'll buy from reputable places in the future to avoid the hassle

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 08, 2008 11:37 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #19

Everyone wants that great bargain and I'm the same way, but sometimes it's just not worth it. I buy 90% of my camera gear from a local pro camera store just a mile from my house. Sure, I might be paying a bit more and I have to pay the state sales tax, but I'm so much better off in the long run. If the product doesn't work then I can return it and the fact I'm a long-time customer reaps dividends. I've gotten a number of little freebies and the manager told me recently if I wanted to rent a lens, I wouldn't have to worry about the $1000 deposit.

I do buy on-line occasionally, but from established, reputable dealers such as B&H and Amazon. I would never buy new cameras or accessories from e-bay... I have been looking there for a 1960's vintage camera like the first SLR I ever owned, but only because it's probably the only place to find one.

John

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2008 15:29 |  #20

Bought one for my brother's Xti for xmas and the instruction sheet looked like the one on the left.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

scrapbookworker
341 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 08, 2008 18:03 |  #21

when I shopped off Ebay for my CF card, I googled many sites to see different pictures of fake vs. real. I think it's a great thing to post this for others to see. Maybe it'll help someone in the future. Sorry - that really stinks!!! :(

Canon 30D, Speedlite 430 EX, 28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 , CS3 and lots of passion for photography!

yoshiguy
27 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 08, 2008 21:43 as a reply to  @ scrapbookworker's post |  #22

The fakes they have these days are getting better and better looking real. Why don't they spend the effect on making a good copy?

Digital Camera Blog - Coolfix.Net (external link)
Canon 40D - 580EX II

smorter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2008 20:55 |  #23

oops sorry I never replied to this post, I ended up going back to the seller (wasting time, petrol, phone costs etc) doing so, and got another fake one that stopped working after a while again. When I met him again I asked him whether it was a fake, but he denied it saying it was just packaging differences between batches. Unfortunately I didn't a real one to compare in front of him, so I let it go.

Of course, the thing lasted for about 10 actuations after I had left, and then stopped working as well.

I got fed up, so I just went to a shop and purchased a real one for about $10 extra. I'm not going to bother chasing it up with the seller I can't be bothered but I don't think I will ever give my business to this guy again, I just don't feel comfortable with the principle of it. I was going to buy a 17-55 IS off him too but will go to a store now.

yoshiguy wrote in post #4662381 (external link)
The fakes they have these days are getting better and better looking real. Why don't they spend the effect on making a good copy?

LOL
also they spend so much effort on the cosmetics of the product, yet something so simple as the plastic used, or the instruction booklet or the box gives it away

ben_r_ wrote in post #4660004 (external link)
Bought one for my brother's Xti for xmas and the instruction sheet looked like the one on the left.

Cool! Yep should be legit hopefully, the fake one looks like it was been photocopied or printed on some crappy paper using bad ink.

scrapbookworker wrote in post #4661012 (external link)
when I shopped off Ebay for my CF card, I googled many sites to see different pictures of fake vs. real. I think it's a great thing to post this for others to see. Maybe it'll help someone in the future. Sorry - that really stinks!!!

Yeah same I was going to as well but then I saw all these threads warning of the scams.
er..hopefully you aren't too affected by the nasty tornados or something at your location, I saw that my BH Photo parcel got delayed because of the weather issues, though this is trivial compared to the destruction there

JWright wrote in post #4658397 (external link)
Everyone wants that great bargain and I'm the same way, but sometimes it's just not worth it. I buy 90% of my camera gear from a local pro camera store just a mile from my house. Sure, I might be paying a bit more and I have to pay the state sales tax, but I'm so much better off in the long run. If the product doesn't work then I can return it and the fact I'm a long-time customer reaps dividends. I've gotten a number of little freebies and the manager told me recently if I wanted to rent a lens, I wouldn't have to worry about the $1000 deposit.

I do buy on-line occasionally, but from established, reputable dealers such as B&H and Amazon. I would never buy new cameras or accessories from e-bay... I have been looking there for a 1960's vintage camera like the first SLR I ever owned, but only because it's probably the only place to find one.

Yeah I agree this is the way to go, I'm tired of shenanigans for the sake of a few bucks, in the long run I've ended up out of pocket about $30 for a fake, when I could have paid about $10 more for a real one.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 06, 2008 22:37 |  #24

Why is it that fakes never seem to work but cheap alternatives do?

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Glasstream15
91 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 06, 2008 23:37 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #25

I have a real RC-1. It works about as advertised, as a low power IR trigger.

I have never bought anything on e-bay. I know that there are good deals to be had and that 99% is honest, but I just can't take the chance.

Amazon and B&H. You know EXACTLY what you're getting, you know EXACTLY what you're paying, you know EXACTLY when it will arrive and you can place the order and sleep at night not worrying about it.

It costs more, but what is security worth?

I carry a gun 'cause a cop's too heavy!!

Canon EOS Rebel XT DSLR, Canon EOS Rebel K2 35 mm SLR, Canon EOS Rebel X2 35 mm SLR, Canon Powershot S5IS Digicam, Canon Photura 35 mm P&S

mcmadkat
Goldmember
1,059 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 07, 2008 12:42 |  #26

You gets what you pay for at the end of the day.

Out of 300+ ebay chinese and HK transactions I have never failed to have an item arrive.

Buy carefully.

The only time I was ripped off was with a fake CF card from LONDON!

30D 17-40L 580EXII
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=386249

Mr_Bester
111 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 07, 2008 14:27 |  #27

I got (what I think its legit) one from a local camera shop that is Authorized Canon, and mine didn't have any instructions at all. Until I saw this thread, I didn't realize they were supposed to....

gear: 50d, siggy 10-20, siggy 24-70 f/2.8, canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 400 f/5.6L
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/20938394@N03/ (external link)

pmk
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 07, 2008 15:02 as a reply to  @ Mr_Bester's post |  #28

Why isn't there a Hack for the RC-1 ???

Hi Smorter ~ Sorry for the bad luck and hassle, especially over such a cheap and crappy product.

Why isn't there a good hack for the RC-1 for Palm Pilots, etc? Heck, if you can control your TV with a Palm, I don't see why we can use them to actuate our Canon's. Seems like some people are getting this to work with their TV remotes:

http://www.camerahacke​r.com …e_with_Canon_ca​meras.html (external link)

I'm still skeptical that it was truly a fake. My guess is that Canon makes these things really cheaply and doesn't pay much of any consideration to quality control.

I wish they would make one that could actuate the shutter from BEHIND the camera and not just IN FRONT of it!!!

pmk

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Singlespeed Photography (external link)

Mr_Bester
111 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 07, 2008 15:52 |  #29

pmk wrote in post #4871924 (external link)
Hi Smorter ~ Sorry for the bad luck and hassle, especially over such a cheap and crappy product.

Why isn't there a good hack for the RC-1 for Palm Pilots, etc? Heck, if you can control your TV with a Palm, I don't see why we can use them to actuate our Canon's. Seems like some people are getting this to work with their TV remotes:

I'm still skeptical that it was truly a fake. My guess is that Canon makes these things really cheaply and doesn't pay much of any consideration to quality control.

I wish they would make one that could actuate the shutter from BEHIND the camera and not just IN FRONT of it!!!

pmk

I have read that there is a hack to use with the palm remote control software. I may have to steal my wifes palm and see if I can program it. Also, if you pick one up and have a learning remote, you could use that too. Although, the RC1 is a lot smaller than my harmony ;)

edit, Check this link and read the comments, someone has it working with the omniremote software http://eosdoc.com/manu​als/?q=RC-1 (external link)

gear: 50d, siggy 10-20, siggy 24-70 f/2.8, canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 400 f/5.6L
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/20938394@N03/ (external link)

johnnybfan
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2008 21:27 |  #30

pmk wrote in post #4871924 (external link)

pmk

First, I think your comment about Canon not caring about quality is kind of off-the-wall. I bought my RC-1 over three years ago & it still works well and I've not yet had to replace the battery (although, now that I've said it, it will probably die next time I use it :):)). It works from about 25' on in. At least if I don't forget to change the camera settings so it will work. I'm notorious for that. Anyway, like I said, I bought mine off eBay and I've not regretted it. But I definitely got a real one - not a fake. It sounds like the OP got a fake one.
On the point about not being able to use it from behind the camera - right on! That's probably the thing I don't like the most about this remote.

jim

40D w/Grip X 2, Canon 10-22, Canon 24-70mm f2.8L
, Canon 100-400L IS, Nifty Fifty, Canon 430 EX Flash

sponsored links

131,688 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=WARNING FAKE RC-1 on E-bay=- :(
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.