Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2008 (Sunday) 00:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G9 - Need to change default image downloader

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 06, 2008 00:17 |  #1

I just bought my new G9 after using a G2 for the past 5 1/2 years. I only got it yesterday so I'm still learning all the nice features.

Anyhow - O - dummy me ! ! :oops: As I updated my Zoombrowser to v6 from the install CD and was playing around with it, I pulled a stupid and messed up the menu screen that allows you to select what program to run to download the images. I have always used the Canon Camerawindow to download pics with previous versions.

Here's what I did and I cannot figure out how to undo it. When I plugged in the USB cable and it invoked the window to select what program to use, I saw the EOS Utility listed there. For some silly reason, I thought this was the right one and I checked the box that says "Always use this program" As soon as I clicked OK, up comes the error message "Choose Canon Camerawindow for this camera" Arrrgh!! Bonehead!:evil:

Problem is, I cannot bring that menu back up to uncheck the box to use the EOS Utility as the default when I plug the G9.

Yeah, I know better! But I screwed up and didn't test the application first like I should have.

I have tried digging through the registry to see if I could find a place to change a value but couldn't find it.

I don't really feel like uninstalling and re-installing the danged thing.

Why the heck would they bundle the EOS Utility with a G9 anyways??:rolleyes:

Can anybody tell me how to reset the Choose Application window so it shows up again when I plug the camera in?

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2008 21:26 |  #2

Oh well,

I guess it is safe to assume nobody here knows how to cure the problem I outlined!!

Sure would be nice to fix it without reloading the whole thing.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

rpolitsr
5,951 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 08, 2008 22:17 |  #3

I do not know much about the matter. ‘Re-loading’ will not solve the problem I guess, because Canon programs stick to the configuration of previous installations. Perhaps un-installing and then installing it again, but I am not sure if that is any better.

Before un-installing, check
START > All programs > Canon Utilities > Camera Window > EOS digital and
START > All programs > Canon Utilities > Camera Window > CameraWindowMC > CameraWindow

If you have both, start manually the second one, it starts the camera window for the powershots.

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

gool
518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 08, 2008 22:22 |  #4

http://www.techsupport​forum.com …-program-association.html (external link)

you may need to reset the autoplay settings on your machine. Connect the device to your computer and then right click the drive icon in My Computer -> Properties -> Autoplay. Select the content type (music, videos, images etc) and then either choose the program if you see it or put a check in the box to prompt you for a respone. Then disconnect/reconnect the drive and you should either be asked again or it will open with the desired program.

Of you could do a system restore to the most recent day before you made the changes.

Go to start => all programs => accessories => system tools => system restore and select a date in bold prior to when the problem started.

As long as you didn't change the computer too much since the last system restore date, it shouldn't affect your computer much. ie. didn't install any new programs or updates or anything.

Paul | 7D | 10D
Canon EF 85 f1.8| Tamron 17-50|Canon EF 35-80 (macro)| Tokina 11-16 | 580EX II
5 MDH | Kata 3N1-22 | Billingham 206 Presstop | Horusbennu NEO 1128TT + LX-1T

RafaPolit
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 08, 2008 23:15 |  #5

Bobs,

Gool's first idea is the way to go. I would suggest choosing "prompt me each time to choose an action" in case you ever insert another persons card, or for whatever reason.

I would strongly suggest AGAINST doing a system restore, it may not fix the problem and you could end up with a "version" of your OS and registry that is simply too old and you may lose some program's functionality.

Good luck,
Rafael Polit Jr.

Rebel T2i | EF-S 17-55 IS | EF 70-200 f4L | EF-S 10-22 | 430EX II |
Picture Galleries at:
www.rafaelpolit.com (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2008 23:23 |  #6

gool wrote in post #4662576 (external link)
http://www.techsupport​forum.com/micr...socia​tion.html (external link)

you may need to reset the autoplay settings on your machine. Connect the device to your computer and then right click the drive icon in My Computer -> Properties -> Autoplay. Select the content type (music, videos, images etc) and then either choose the program if you see it or put a check in the box to prompt you for a respone. Then disconnect/reconnect the drive and you should either be asked again or it will open with the desired program.

Hey thanks, man!!
That did the trick. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but then if we all thought of every solution, we wouldn't need the forum, would we?
Appreciate your solution!

Bob ;)

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 08, 2008 23:28 |  #7

RafaPolit wrote in post #4662879 (external link)
Bobs,

Gool's first idea is the way to go. I would suggest choosing "prompt me each time to choose an action" in case you ever insert another persons card, or for whatever reason.

I would strongly suggest AGAINST doing a system restore, it may not fix the problem and you could end up with a "version" of your OS and registry that is simply too old and you may lose some program's functionality.

Good luck,
Rafael Polit Jr.

Yeah, I only use system restore if I'm desperate. I am always tweaking my system and can never remember the right restore time.
Thanks for the input.

Bob

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

gool
518 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2008 04:36 |  #8

Usually system restore points are pretty often so like a day or two before on my computer.

Glad things worked out. :)

Paul | 7D | 10D
Canon EF 85 f1.8| Tamron 17-50|Canon EF 35-80 (macro)| Tokina 11-16 | 580EX II
5 MDH | Kata 3N1-22 | Billingham 206 Presstop | Horusbennu NEO 1128TT + LX-1T

asylumxl
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jan 09, 2008 04:55 |  #9

Plug your camera in, go to my computer, click properties. There should be an "auto-play" tab, which will allow you to chose which program opens by default.

I M A G E I N A T I O N
..........WEBSITE (external link)
Pixel peeping is like count the sides of a circle, pointless.

sponsored links

4,962 views & 0 likes for this thread
G9 - Need to change default image downloader
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.