Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Jan 2008 (Saturday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which flash bracket, and why?

djeuch
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 12, 2008 21:29 |  #1

Been playing around with my 40D and 580EX II... LOVE the results so far with bounce flash. Why did I ever use the built-in? :)

Anyway, looking at adding a flash bracket... What would you recommend and why?

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2008 21:32 |  #2

djeuch wrote in post #4690860 (external link)
Been playing around with my 40D and 580EX II... LOVE the results so far with bounce flash. Why did I ever use the built-in? :)

I use a home made jobby..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 12, 2008 21:33 |  #3

you should visit a local store and try out the various styles, they are like gloves.. some fit you, some wont, and it seems to be something people are rather picky about

also, you should consider whether or not you will use a grip or not in the future, getting a taller bracket upfront may save u money down the road

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tal_T_Flash_Rot​ating.html (external link)

thats the one i own, and i find it works well for me, because ive grown used to it, and thats on the inexpensive end

Gear List | Wish List |

djeuch
THREAD ­ STARTER
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 12, 2008 21:39 |  #4

I'll throw something else into the mix. I've done the "rotate and twist" to get portrait shots with the flash still pointing upwards, but I think some of you have flash brackets making this a much easier operation?

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

Fureinku
Goldmember
1,339 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 12, 2008 21:50 |  #5

brackets allow you to shoot forward in portrait orientation, while maintaining a flash-over-lens position.. without a bracket, u can bounce the flash upwards, or shoot forward and have a shadow from the side

with forward firing, to go fron landscape to portrait, all u do is flip the bracket, but if you are bounce firing, you have to flip the bracket and re-twist the flash to aim the bounce

Gear List | Wish List |

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2008 21:51 |  #6

Newton Di100FR2 (external link). Because I like it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …ear/2007-07-16-newton.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 12, 2008 22:00 |  #7

djeuch wrote in post #4690860 (external link)

What's your budget for the bracket?

...Leo

djeuch
THREAD ­ STARTER
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 12, 2008 22:02 |  #8

Good question! So far, the thread has produced $60 to $240.... I'd like to stay below $100, but if there's an obvious choice above that, I don't want to make a mistake on the wrong equipment because of a breakpoint. I usually try and maximize benefit/cost as best as I can.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 12, 2008 22:13 |  #9

When i was looking, nothing good under $100 unless you get used. I'm waiting for taxes and hopefully i can get a Newton. I'm so psyched over those, I'm blinded.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

djeuch
THREAD ­ STARTER
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 12, 2008 22:14 |  #10

The Newton does look quite cool!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 12, 2008 22:15 |  #11

The Newton is my third and final bracket. The other two just didn't cut it. One was flimsy and didn't work with gripped cameras without modification (I literally bent it by hand to get it to work with a gripped 30D) and the other was just clumsy, heavy, and huge.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 12, 2008 22:15 |  #12

I just bought a Novoflex Flashgriff and am very happy with it. The ball-head allows flash to be pointed in any direction, and while it's small it is plenty strong enough for my 430EX.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 12, 2008 22:42 |  #13

I don't use one very often, but I bought this one because I got it for $65.00 off eBay

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My Gear

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2008 22:43 |  #14

Check out custom brackets (thats the company name). They might be out of your price range but they sure are nice. I used one when second shooting and was quite impressed.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Jan 13, 2008 08:14 |  #15

I had originally purchased a Stoboframe Pro T. But when you rotate the flash it seemed too off center to me. I hated it.

I then purchased a Newton Di400CR. This is the one that accommodates the grip or 1 series cameras. I could not be happier. Personally I hate using flash rotators and would never own anything except for a camera rotator.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links

16,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which flash bracket, and why?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.