Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 23:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

580EX II Master, 580EX Slave, and Pocket Wizards

ayotnoms
Perfect Anti-Cloning Argument
2,988 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 15, 2008 23:33 |  #1

Feeling rather doltish because I can't figure out if it's me or how I've got things set up.

Configuration: PW receiver connected to 580EXII which in turn is set to Master. The 580EX is set to slave. PW transmitter on the camera.

Problem: 580EX II fires as expected. The 580EX in slave mode however does not fire until after the shutter has closed...at least using shutter speeds that ranged from 1/200 sec to 1/25 sec. I want them to fire simultaneously.

As an aside, when I mount the 580EX II on my camera, both flashes fire just fine.

OK, so what simple, well known precaution am I not taking?

Steve
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=1267612&postcou​nt=17"]Gear

sponsored links
jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 15, 2008 23:39 |  #2

ayotnoms wrote in post #4712915 (external link)
Feeling rather doltish because I can't figure out if it's me or how I've got things set up.

Configuration: PW receiver connected to 580EXII which in turn is set to Master. The 580EX is set to slave. PW transmitter on the camera.

Problem: 580EX II fires as expected. The 580EX in slave mode however does not fire until after the shutter has closed...at least using shutter speeds that ranged from 1/200 sec to 1/25 sec. I want them to fire simultaneously.

As an aside, when I mount the 580EX II on my camera, both flashes fire just fine.

OK, so what simple, well known precaution am I not taking?

i don't think the canon whatchamjigie works when the 580 is off camera unless you are using one of their cords. not sure though but im sure someone else will chime in soon enough.

J.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

tmr
156 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 16, 2008 01:11 |  #3

I agree with jptsr1. I think you'll need another PW for the other 580.

I did something similar recently. I got a couple of digital peanuts to drive my old SLR flashes. Worked fine with my 580ex wireless selector switch in "off". I then switched to "master" to add in a few 430ex as slaves. The flashes with the digital peanuts didn't fire in sync with the Canon flashes (they did fire just not at the right time). Either the preflash is different in master mode or the communication between the master and slave throws the peanuts off.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 16, 2008 02:43 |  #4

Sounds like your master 580 II is not in manual mode. When both flash are in ETTL mode, when you press the pilot botton on the master, the slave will fire a second later.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2008 04:26 |  #5

You can use wireless ETTL, with one flash in master and one in slave, that doesn't use pocket wizards but you get ETTL for automatic exposure. Or you can use a PW on the camera and each flash, with everything in manual, you have to meter yourself.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2008 04:27 |  #6

btw if you're using PWs and all manual then the 580 II is a very expensive flash to use as a dumb slave.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Lotto
Goldmember
2,702 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 16, 2008 05:10 |  #7

tim, one PW can be connected to the master 580, the master will fire and control the power output of the slave EXs (exclude the 420EX). I believe that's what the OP is trying to do, but the master 580 II must be in manual mode with Ratio turned on.

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 16, 2008 07:35 |  #8

tim wrote in post #4713842 (external link)
btw if you're using PWs and all manual then the 580 II is a very expensive flash to use as a dumb slave.

Tim, that's neither here nor there. If people have more than one Speedlite, there's no reason why they can't be used with PWs to trigger them. Heck, that would apply even if they only had one flash! They already have the flash and the money has been spent. So there's no reason they can't use it anyway they wish. It's not like they're wearing the flash out and will need to replace them soon. If that were the case, then yes, a warning about the flash being very expensive as a dumb slave used that way would be warranted. But it's not, is it? ;)

...Leo

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,722 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2008 07:47 |  #9

I agree with Leo.

Unfortunately, I'm probably dumber than antonym on this stuff. Sheesh.
me

tim
Light Bringer
50,977 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 16, 2008 08:19 |  #10

Lotto wrote in post #4713909 (external link)
tim, one PW can be connected to the master 580, the master will fire and control the power output of the slave EXs (exclude the 420EX). I believe that's what the OP is trying to do, but the master 580 II must be in manual mode with Ratio turned on.

Yeah that's possible, but kindof defeats the purpose of pocket wizards doesn't it?

PacAce wrote in post #4714290 (external link)
Tim, that's neither here nor there. If people have more than one Speedlite, there's no reason why they can't be used with PWs to trigger them. Heck, that would apply even if they only had one flash! They already have the flash and the money has been spent. So there's no reason they can't use it anyway they wish. It's not like they're wearing the flash out and will need to replace them soon. If that were the case, then yes, a warning about the flash being very expensive as a dumb slave used that way would be warranted. But it's not, is it? ;)

Yeah if you have them already it's a good idea, i'm just pointing it out for other people that are reading that thread that you don't need expensive flashes if you use them in manual mode.

ayotnoms
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,988 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 16, 2008 08:52 |  #11

Let's say you want to take a photograph of birds in a birdbath under a large tree that requires a lighting boost. Is it not reasonable to use a remote flash connected to a PW? That's really all I am trying to do; trigger a flash from a remote position. Isn't that one application for a flash -- even an expensive one like the 580EX II?

Steve
[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=1267612&postcou​nt=17"]Gear

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 16, 2008 11:09 |  #12

Steve,

If you connect the Pocket Wizard via the PC port on the 580EX II, the needed Manual-Master mode is disabled. My "stab" guess is that this is what you are doing (the PW comes with a cord that will connect to the 580EX II PC port).

This means that you cannot trigger your "master" 580EX II to start the process to allow it to trigger your other compatible Canon flash units via the Canon infrared system. I call this "hybrid triggering" (part fundimental sync triggering, part Canon infrared triggering).

If you connect the Pocket Wizard to the 580EX II via the hotshoe you can regain the manual- master function on the 580EX II.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 16, 2008 11:23 |  #13

tim wrote in post #4713842 (external link)

I hear this a lot and I actually feel somewhat stupid by making a counterpoint to the all mighty TIM.
And that's no joke! You're one of the most experienced and most helpful people on POTN.
I don't think the 580II, or a pair of them and Skyports or Pocket Wizards are a bad idea. Are there cheaper options? Hell yes there are! However everything comes with a cost in compromise. Power, compatability, reliability, features, and portability.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

ayotnoms
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,988 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 16, 2008 11:59 |  #14

FlashZebra wrote in post #4715369 (external link)
Steve,

If you connect the Pocket Wizard via the PC port on the 580EX II, the needed Manual-Master mode is disabled. My "stab" guess is that this is what you are doing (the PW comes with a cord that will connect to the 580EX II PC port).

This means that you cannot trigger your "master" 580EX II to start the process to allow it to trigger your other compatible Canon flash units via the Canon infrared system. I call this "hybrid triggering" (part fundimental sync triggering, part Canon infrared triggering).

If you connect the Pocket Wizard to the 580EX II via the hotshoe you can regain the manual- master function on the 580EX II.

Enjoy! Lon

Thanks Lon. I appreciate the feedback.

Let me re-phrase and maybe you can tell me if I'm off track.

To fire the 580EX II remotely, I can connect the PW to the PC port and it will work fine although it will not allow me to use the flash as a master to control other flashes.

If I connect the PW via the hotshoe, I can once again have wireless control over multiple flashes.

Thanks again everyone for the excellent feedback.

Steve

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Jan 16, 2008 12:31 |  #15

ayotnoms wrote in post #4715628 (external link)
Thanks Lon. I appreciate the feedback.

Let me re-phrase and maybe you can tell me if I'm off track.

To fire the 580EX II remotely, I can connect the PW to the PC port and it will work fine although it will not allow me to use the flash as a master to control other flashes.

If I connect the PW via the hotshoe, I can once again have wireless control over multiple flashes.

Thanks again everyone for the excellent feedback.

Yes, now you have it right. :D
But, remember, you need to have the master in Manual mode and the slaves must have manual mode capability with their output set manually via the master or on the slaves themselves.

...Leo

sponsored links

12,550 views & 0 likes for this thread
580EX II Master, 580EX Slave, and Pocket Wizards
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.