Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Jan 2008 (Wednesday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calumet Genesis kits?

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 16, 2008 19:44 |  #1

I have a small livingroom but a fairly high large white ceiling. I was thinking of buying a nice neutral back drop and nice pair of lower wattage starter strobes w. stands.

I was thinking of getting some AlienBees, however, anyone have any opinion of the Calumet Genesis kits? Clearly targeted at the beginner but the kits looked to have everything one would need to get started.

Having a fairly small room for now I was thinking of getting the 200w twin kit. I also liked the idea that the Genesis lights can fit some Elinchrome accessories.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

sponsored links
swalter
293 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 22, 2008 01:28 |  #2

I was looking for reviews as well, but haven't found any. They certainly look good on paper.

http://www.calumetphot​o.com/item/CF0502K1/ (external link)

-Scott

http://scwalter.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Atomic79
214 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 22, 2008 16:56 |  #3

I just got email from Calumet announcing these today so they are really new. Unless they are a repackage of some other light it's going to be a little bit before reviews start popping up.

After going to both Calumet's and Elinchrome's sites and doing some image comparisons I think the Genesis200 is a repackage of the D-Lite2.

No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen. Minor White

elwood58
319 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 22, 2008 17:31 as a reply to  @ Atomic79's post |  #4

The Elinchrome D-Lite2s sell for $300 each. If this is really a repackage of their Strobe, it is a very good deal. The dish assembly looks different though, so I could not tell if accessories are cross compatible.

50D and a bunch of lenses (external link)

chris ­ sorensen
31 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 23, 2008 19:07 |  #5

I was in Calumet today and played with these. Pretty darn nice for the price. Digital adjustment, audible beep on recycle, seemed fairly sturdy. Tested the recycle time on min to max and was pretty much in line with the 1-3 second the specs say. Which is higher than the .8 seconds the specs for the DLite 2 says, so maybe they're not rebadges. They did say they take Elinchrom accessories.

www.chris-sorensen.com (external link)

Cars0n
55 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 23, 2008 19:39 |  #6

These are ridiculously tempting. I've been toying with the idea of studio lights and even though I don't think I'm quite ready, I'm almost ready to jump on these just to play with.

Body: 40d w/grip, 40d w/o grip
Glass: Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4 Tamron 28-75 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 70-200 2.8L IS
Light: 550 EX, 285HV

magicmikey
998 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 23, 2008 21:15 |  #7

The only problem I see is that the accessories for Elinchrome strobes, which these use, are more expensive than those of Alienbees. Other than that, they look quite nice.

Michael

nobleatelier
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2008 14:50 |  #8

Hi.
This is my first post here.

I just picked up a Genesis 2 kit last night. Haven't had a chance to pop it yet, but initial impressions: it is a very robust kit for an entry level kit. In fact, it really is on the higher end of an entry level kit, akin to a prosumer kit, if you will.

The light stand is a very sturdy stand, telescoping to 10 feet. It is much beefier than the thin Impact stands that come with some kits. The twist knobs are substantial, and you don't get the impression that you'd strip the screw threads if you turn too hard.

The umbrella is a convertible 45" brolly. It feels stable and of decent material. It comes with a nice sheath to put it in.

Finally, the strobe head itself. Well made, nice form factor, solid build. Digital readout, push buttons, audible alerts. The modeling light and flash tubes are user replaceable. The strobe uses Elinchrom mounts. If you want to use softboxes you'd have to purchase a Speedring and softbox. They don't come together, unfortunately. You can us Calumet softboxes with it, as well.

So, MrChad, I think you'd have a very capable setup on your hands. In a small room you might have too much power on your hands. I was using two 100 watt-second strobes in softboxes turned down to about 1/2 and 1/4 power. Never full power, and I used a small bedroom for shooting. Then I only used one and had enough light spill onto my background. Now I have the 200 watt-second kit. I know I won't be using this at full power.

nobleatelier
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2008 14:52 |  #9

elwood58 wrote in post #4758940 (external link)
The Elinchrome D-Lite2s sell for $300 each. If this is really a repackage of their Strobe, it is a very good deal. The dish assembly looks different though, so I could not tell if accessories are cross compatible.

Yes, they are a repackage of the Elinchrom D-Lite series. I researched them to purchase a while ago, but decided on the Calumet Travelites. I found out about the Genesis series while on hold about to buy a Travelite and then reconsidered in order to research the Genesis.

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 24, 2008 15:03 |  #10

These are fan cooled the D-Lites are not.

Edit: for the price they look too good to be true, looks like a possible great starter kit.

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,823 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 24, 2008 22:14 as a reply to  @ steveathome's post |  #11

im trying to decide between these and the beginner bee kit. cant find any reviews though.

J.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

RichNY
Goldmember
1,817 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 24, 2008 23:27 |  #12

The D-Lites are much nicer than the Alien Bees. For one they are digital. They are also color consistent from top to bottom of the scale, solidly built, and have pop to pop consistency.

TMRdesign and I spent 3 hours in the B&H lighting department today and came away knowing that these models are the ideal alternative to Alien Bees for people wanting a better light at low cost.

Nikon D3, D300, 10.5 Fisheye, 35 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.4, Zeiss 100 f/2, 105 f/2.5, 200 f/4 Micro, 200 f/2, 300 f/2.8, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, SB-800x4, SB-900, SU-800, (3) Sunpak 120J (2) Profoto Acute 2400s,Chimera softboxes, (4)PW Multimax, (6) C-stands, (3) Bogen Superbooms, Autopoles

chris ­ sorensen
31 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 25, 2008 00:08 |  #13

RichNY wrote in post #4777738 (external link)
these models are the ideal alternative to Alien Bees for people wanting a better light at low cost.

Are you referring to the D-Lites or the Calumet Genesis? Or both?

www.chris-sorensen.com (external link)

MrChad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Jan 25, 2008 09:53 as a reply to  @ chris sorensen's post |  #14

Sounds like these may become the new shiz-nitz in cheapy home lights...sweet.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

chammer2
57 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 25, 2008 11:14 as a reply to  @ MrChad's post |  #15

I am new to these light kits and am also looking at the Genesis kit. I have questions on basic setup. Are these lights continuous? It has a 5 volt sync cord that I'm assuming is used when using wirelessly (does that change the continuous lighting?). Does the cord connect to the camera and then both lights? It has a built in photo cell that allows wirelesss flash syncronization. What accessories are required to allow that? Sorry if these questions are so basic.

sponsored links

132,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Calumet Genesis kits?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.