Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Jan 2008 (Monday) 10:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need advice with canon xti lense

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 21, 2008 10:17 |  #1

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am busy reading and maybe I will come across this, but:

I just bought a new canon xti. I want to take good pics of my son playing ice hockey.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to buy for a lense to take good quality pics?

The lense that came with it gave me dark, grey ice, too far away gloomy shots. I would like to keep it under a 1000 dollars if I could.

Thanks

sponsored links
oaktree
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 21, 2008 11:27 |  #2

Search this forum (Canon EF and EF-S Lenses) for "ice hockey" and you'll get many threads with good info.

Good luck!

Too much stuff, not enough shooting time.

Canon T4i (2 lenses), Fuji X100s, Olympus OM-D EM-1 (3 lenses)

nburwell
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 21, 2008 12:10 |  #3

More than likely, the lighting is going to be less than great - particularly if the arena your son is playing is doesn't have very good lighting. You're going to need a long lens with a fast aperture. Now since your budget is about $1,000, you other alternative is to rent a lens from the various lens rental places on the internet. I would highly suggest the 70-200 f/2.8 IS since it would probably be the most beneficial to you and also allow you to shoot in less than spectacular lighting conditions. A few lens rentals places that I have used which are excellent are:
www.lensrentals.com (external link)
www.lensprotogo.com (external link)

D800 l 14-24mm f/2.8G l 16-35mm f/4G l 24-120mm f/4G

RRS l B+W l Cokin l Lee l Manfrotto l Adobe l Apple

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2008 12:31 |  #4

How far away will you be? That should determine the focal length you need, and then get something fast in that focal length. Perhaps take a serious look at a prime like the 135L or the 200 2.8L (both under your budget) if they're long enough, or the Sigma 70-200 2.8 if you need a zoom that again, is within your budget. IS is nice, but not essential for action sports (can't stop movement with slow shutter speeds!). The AF on these lenses all have USM/HSM so they're nice and fast for use with AI Servo.

Oh also, grey ice won't be a result of your lens (mostly), but rather a result of underexposure. Regardless of what you are shooting, your camera will meter for it to be 18% grey. Read up a bit on exposure - lighter subject will require you to expose a stop or two over what your camera thinks is right - so shoot AV or TV, and crank EC up a stop or two, or learn to shoot full manual. A fast lens like the ones I listed above will help with this, as they'll let in more light and allow you to get those exposures needed.

Set the aperture (close to wide open in indoor light, really) and shutter speed you want (Ideally 1/500 at least for action sports, though you could probably get away with less) and crank your ISO up to get the right exposure. Remember to shoot at a speed of at least 1/shutter speed x 1.6 (XTi crop factor) to get sharp handheld shots.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 21, 2008 12:45 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #5

Thanks. I'll be up to half a hockey rink away for some shots...whatever that works out to be... <100 feet

Will this Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L without IS do the trick or is IS a nessisary investment?

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 21, 2008 12:51 |  #6

You don't need IS for action sports - IS lets you shoot at lower shutter speeds as it stabilises the lens, but you want faster shutter speeds for sport, and only fast glass will do that.

The Canon and Sigma 70-200 2.8 lenses will both do the trick. Both are excellent, but the second is cheaper, the first a little bit better.

To be honest though, at 100 feet away, 200mm is going to be pretty short. Given that your son is playing, there isn't a chance of getting closer?

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 22, 2008 10:43 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #7

Well, I'm just thinking a rink is 200 feet long, so I would be somewhere between 30 and 100 feet for my shots.

100 being the furthest away I would be...

What would be a good prime to buy while I save money for the big one?

I'm not talking expert shots here, but something that I can hang over the boards from 30 or 40 feet and get a nice shot of a 9 year old.

As you can see, the ones I took last weekend were brutal...

Thanks
Brad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

1,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
need advice with canon xti lense
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.