Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2008 (Wednesday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85mm f1.2L MkII owners - your help is needed

radiohead
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2008 16:10 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I recently sold a mint condition (as new basically) 85/1.2K MkII. The buyer has received it and is claiming the lens is faulty because:

1) The focus ring is loose
2) There's a slight click when it turns

I've owned 2 85/1.2's and both have been exactly the same - it's my understanding that this is to do with the design and/or the electronic focus. I don't believe that the lens I sold is faulty.

Can owners please give their thoughts?

Guy Collier Photography - Documentary Wedding Photographer (external link)
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
"It's no good saying "hold it" to a moment in real life." - Lord Snowdon
My kit

sponsored links
90c4
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 23, 2008 16:24 |  #2

The focus ring is like that on all of them - it's a different system than other Canon lenses. Mine doesn't click when it turns.

www.facebook.com/stage​shooter (external link)http://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooter (external link)

radiohead
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2008 16:26 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I'm not even convinced it's a click - I recall it having a very slight feel to assist with manual focussing. This may seem like a click to those new to the lens. Again, this was the same with both I owned.

The buyer is claiming there is a bearing issue (is there even a bearing in there?). It was also incredibly securely packed so I doubt there's been damage in transit.

His words - " The problem is that the focusing ring is very loose and actually clicks when it is turned. There is too much sideways slack/movement suggesting there might be a problem with the
bearings. I dont know if something as gone wrong in the post"

"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt
My kit

Papaw
765 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jan 23, 2008 16:37 |  #4

He probably has never used this lens before. Instead of mechanically moving the innerds, it uses a "wire system" that is electronic and feels much different and looser - like turning the volume control on a radio compared to turning a door handle.
If you can just get him to use it I think he will be convinced.
Have you missed it yet? I find it hard to force myself to take the lens off my MK II.

1D MKIIN 30D 20D and G6
35L 85L 400L 17-40L 24-70L 24-105L 70-200 f/2.8L IS
10-22 f3.5 60 Macro

radiohead
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2008 16:39 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

He's added this " I actually owned a 85mm f/1.2 mk2 which i sold on ebay about 3-4 months ago - (big mistake) and my copy wasnt slack and didnt have the clicking/bearing problem."

The fact they are all 'loose' leads me to wonder if he did own one before now.

My kit

peatoire
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 23, 2008 16:40 |  #6

The lens is not faulty. The manual focus ring does not have the dampers like other canon lenses, it focuses the lens electronically, it feels much looser than all my other lenses, I think it does explain this in the leaflet. I also think I know what the clicking noise is he is referring to, if you move the focus ring extremely slowly, the electronic motor moves in very small increments, it's not a click but you could say it sounds like one, move it faster and it's gone.

5D & Grip, 17-40 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, 85mm1.2 580EX 430EX II, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Rickety tripod.
Andy Peat
---------------
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

radiohead
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,372 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jan 23, 2008 16:42 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

peatoire wrote in post #4766251 (external link)
The lens is not faulty. The manual focus ring does not have the dampers like other canon lenses, it focuses the lens electronically, it feels much looser than all my other lenses, I think it does explain this in the leaflet. I also think I know what the clicking noise is he is referring to, if you move the focus ring extremely slowly, the electronic motor moves in very small increments, it's not a click but you could say it sounds like one, move it faster and it's gone.

This is exactly what I think - I'll bet if he took it into a Canon dealer who knew the lens he'd be told the same.

My kit

peatoire
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jan 23, 2008 16:47 |  #8

Advise him to take it in to a store that has one in stock & compare, if he's not happy take it back. I'll wager he won't find one any different

5D & Grip, 17-40 f4, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, 85mm1.2 580EX 430EX II, Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro. Rickety tripod.
Andy Peat
---------------
Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 23, 2008 17:51 |  #9

The focus on the 85mm L feels different to any lens that I've ever used. There's virtually no resistance at all when manually focussing, and of course it only focuses with the camera switched on.

Virtually guaranteed that it's a case of the new owner not being used to it.

BiLL

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 23, 2008 18:15 |  #10

It's normal, like you said and we said. Feels very loose. Point him to this thread.

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 23, 2008 18:18 |  #11

normal on mine.

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 23, 2008 18:20 |  #12

Take it back on the [normal for online transactions] condition that he has to pay for return shipping and original shipping charges are non-refundable. Sell it to someone intelligent. Unless, of course, he's had it more than a week from the delivery date. In which case he would have had more than enough time to test it out and alert you of any problems and destroy it in the meantime.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

I ­ Simonius
Weather Sealed Photographer
6,498 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2005
Location: On a Small Blue Planet with Small Blue People With Small Blue Eyes

Jan 23, 2008 18:31 |  #13

radiohead wrote in post #4766145 (external link)
I'm not even convinced it's a click - I recall it having a very slight feel to assist with manual focussing. This may seem like a click to those new to the lens. Again, this was the same with both I owned.

The buyer is claiming there is a bearing issue (is there even a bearing in there?). It was also incredibly securely packed so I doubt there's been damage in transit.

His words - " The problem is that the focusing ring is very loose and actually clicks when it is turned. There is too much sideways slack/movement suggesting there might be a problem with the
bearings. I dont know if something as gone wrong in the post"

It is pretty loose as I recall;)

Tell him to compare it to one in the shops

If it's been damaged in transit then claim from the delivery dudes' (or dudettes') insurance

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. - Albert Einstein" - yes, but why?
My Snaps  (external link) My Gear ---- (external link)

JC4
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 23, 2008 18:57 as a reply to  @ I Simonius's post |  #14

Send him to this thread.

John Caputo

gnrlmike
449 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 23, 2008 19:02 |  #15

I freaked about AF as well when I first got the lens, that turning the focusing ring was so easy and unnatural. If there is any lens that has a learning curve than this might be it.

Mostly ducks (external link)
No longer Brotherhood of the Red Ring

sponsored links

3,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
85mm f1.2L MkII owners - your help is needed
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.