Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off camera flash underexposure

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 28, 2008 17:58 |  #1

I figured this has been discussed before but could not find it. Anyway, I have a Rebel XT and a 580EX II plus a Promaster 7500DX.When using these flashes off camera on a bracket with the canon off camera cord I may get sometimes 10 or more flashes and then the flash indicator light is no longer in the viewfinder,the flash still fires but the image is totally dark. I have to take the flash off the bracket, put it back on and then it will start working again maybe for 30 or more flashes..sometimes only 5 before messing up again. Very unnerving to do a wedding and you have no idea when your flash will fail. Both the 580ex II and promaster flashes are doing this. Camera and flash contacts are clean and pins are fine. Flashes started doing this right out of the box. On another forum 2 more photographers posted a message on this same problem with their 30D\'s. Then another one said he has had the same problem with his 1D and speedlite flash, not the 580ex for 2 years now. Canon is no help on this matter of course. Does anyone have any idea the solution to this besides selling the ettl equipment and using auto flashes? My vivitar 283 and Promaster 5950 in auto mode do not do this, they fire everytime and every image is great..is this a problem with ettl II? Last night I shot 10 images of the same subject, letting the flashes fully charge between shootings and on #8 the flash indicator was no longer in the view finder and image was totally dark and yet the flash fired.Solution please?

sponsored links
QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2008 19:02 |  #2

It's happend the same to my 30D .If I set it to ETTL mode ....the flash will last about 30-50 image (bateries fully charge) But if I use Manual flash ...it's last for about 100-150 image ( I am not sure exactly number of shot) .

I did wedding also ,so I pick up the Battery pack CP-E4 ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_Battery_Pack_​CP_E4.html (external link) ) and that is last for long time with manual flash 1/4 power setting.

1D MK III,40D,G12.1Ds mk3.
24-70L,100-400L ,70-200F2.8LIS,85L,180L macro.18-200EF-S.8-15mmL.
Raynox DCR250,Kenko set extesion tube,ST-E2.
28-200,75-300,KenKo 2X TC,430EX,580EX II,Metz45 CL1.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 28, 2008 19:39 |  #3

QX56 wrote in post #4803295 (external link)
It\\\'s happend the same to my 30D .If I set it to ETTL mode ....the flash will last about 30-50 image (bateries fully charge) But if I use Manual flash ...it\\\'s last for about 100-150 image ( I am not sure exactly number of shot) .

I did wedding also ,so I pick up the Battery pack CP-E4 ( http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_Battery_Pack_​CP_E4.html (external link) ) and that is last for long time with manual flash 1/4 power setting.

I cannot set flash functions in my Rebel XT, but I shoot my rebel in manual. If I read your post correctly, you are referring to batteries being exhausted after so many images..correct? I am referring to the ettl II system messing up..the flash still fires but the flash indicator in the viewfinder disappears and then the flash still fires but the image is dark. I have to take the flash off the bracket, then put it back on and it is good for sometimes up to 30 to 40 shots before misfiring again. If I shoot in P mode the problem is so much worse, about 1 out of every 5 shots is screwed up.I just email from Canon and they want me to send the flash back to the factory..I told them the flash itself is not the problem because photographers all over are all having the same problem..the problem is the ettl system itself. I have a batter pack also but that doesn\'t help. If the system was made properly it seems like it would not be going on in the first place.

QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 28, 2008 22:11 |  #4

The flash function (manual)is on the flash ...not the camera . If you go to the flash ...push the button Mode Or hold it for a few second until it flashing to Manual ..and use the dial button or set button to select the number (flashing)indicate the flash power ,then use the dial button to adjust the flash power .That should help your flash use less batteries power .

What kind of batteries are you using ?

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 08:43 as a reply to  @ QX56's post |  #5

I've tried rechargeables, alkalines and even my lumedyne power pack..it isn't the batteries..the flash isn't running out of battery power, it has plenty..something is causing the flash to lose communication with the camera. I got a message from a photographer on OURPPA forum and he has had this problem with his 1D for 2 years now, then 3 more photographers all with different cameras reporting the same problem. One of them with a brand new 5D out of the box and the 580EX II out of the box, same problem..so it isn't the power...it isn't losing power..it is losing signal or something. I shot 20 shots of the same subject last night and #19 was all dark and the flash indicator light failed to show in the view finder when this happens but the flash is fully charged and it isn't in low light focusing either..

Hangerhead
363 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2008 09:00 |  #6

i get something similar too - i can use the test button to fire and the flash is fine - but (and I haven't strobed either) after about 10-20 shots, i get totally under-exposed shots.
i'm using a 350D and a 580 flash.

www.hangerhead.smugmug​.com (external link)

Canon 1DS MK II, Canon 40D
Canon 70-200mm L f4, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 17-55mm IS f2.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 24-105 IS f4 L, 17-40 L

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 11:08 as a reply to  @ Hangerhead's post |  #7

Yep, I can use the test button too and it will fire...also, my pre-flash will not register any readings either when the flash indicator is not in the viewfinder even though the flash still fires. Canon has a major problem on their hands..One photographer said when he manually focused his stopped doing that..well, that didn't help me so it isn't tied to focusing as far as my system is concerned. If this is the way it will be and there are no solutions I'm going to sell my 580ex II and promaster 7500DX and go to automatic flashes..I tried the manual mode and auto mode in the flash but that is totally underexposed on every shot so that isn't a good answer either. External metering for the flash is the pits. The entire ETTL II system is flawed it seems. Canon wanted me to send the flash, lens and camera to them to be looked at. I told them since I only have 1 and I have jobs to do that would not be feasible and since so many others are having the same problem, they need to examine their entire system.

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 29, 2008 11:26 |  #8

This sound like what happened to me last night... I took 2 nice bright pictures of my teddy bear and it came out very nice. (equipment Rebel Xt, 430Ex, and the AB800 w/sync on = strobe). This happened in P, M , (Av was ok but blurry) mode

It could be me because I am a newbie. I didn't change the settings but 20 minutes later, all the imagers are dark and unable to see... I will post later.

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

Lotto
Goldmember
2,739 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 29, 2008 11:32 |  #9

Shooting, are you using both flashes at the same time? One on the Canon off Shoe Cord II and one as slave?

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 13:06 as a reply to  @ Lotto's post |  #10

No, I tried one..took it off and then tried the other since they are both dedicated digital flashes.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 13:07 |  #11

jackies35 wrote in post #4808018 (external link)
This sound like what happened to me last night... I took 2 nice bright pictures of my teddy bear and it came out very nice. (equipment Rebel Xt, 430Ex, and the AB800 w/sync on = strobe). This happened in P, M , (Av was ok but blurry) mode

It could be me because I am a newbie. I didn't change the settings but 20 minutes later, all the imagers are dark and unable to see... I will post later.

I first used Program Mode and now using Manual but no difference.

QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 29, 2008 14:32 |  #12

Can you try shoot manual flash ?

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 18:06 |  #13

QX56 wrote in post #4809368 (external link)
Can you try shoot manual flash ?

Ok I\'ll give that a shot and let you know..I\'d hate to do that because about every flash has manual, I paid good money for this technology only to find it is so unpredictable in it\'s problems it is virtually useless.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2008 18:56 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #14

Ok it works fine in Manual..my goodness everything is totally washed out but it works..took 50 shots and none failed. Of course I\'ll only be using my flash on a bracket when situations don\'t let me bounce like dark wood ceilings and walls and colored walls

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 29, 2008 22:26 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #15

Here are the pictures I mentioned about.

Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure time: 0.125
I really don't like putting the camera in M mode because all my images comes out blurry... I need a tripod... I am a very nervous girl... These images must have been in P mode. I don't think i put the camera in Manual mode. Anyway, this is what everything look like before I decided to take a couple of shots with my neice.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i109.photobucke​t.com …64/jaccine35/_M​G_4001.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i109.photobucke​t.com …64/jaccine35/_M​G_4003.jpg (external link)

20 minutes later, this is what I am getting. I didn't change anything.

http://i109.photobucke​t.com …64/jaccine35/_M​G_4040.jpg (external link)

I went from 800 iso down to 100 and I kept on changing the shutter speed. Now, I am shooting in manual mode on the camera, the flash is set to M and slave OFF.

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

sponsored links

3,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off camera flash underexposure
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.