Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 17:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Off camera flash underexposure

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 29, 2008 22:28 |  #16

why is the picture dark? Is it because I need to set the AB800 Higher due to color and skin tone?

The teddy was super white. Please help... I think I have to re-read the 430EX flash manual.

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

sponsored links
QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 30, 2008 00:15 |  #17

Shooting wrote in post #4811185 (external link)
Ok it works fine in Manual..my goodness everything is totally washed out but it works..took 50 shots and none failed. Of course I\'ll only be using my flash on a bracket when situations don\'t let me bounce like dark wood ceilings and walls and colored walls

OK...now control the flash power ...either 1/2 power or 1/4 or 1/8 power (Iso 400-800) and forget about ETTL ,the manual flash should be last for you a lot of shot .

1D MK III,40D,G12.1Ds mk3.
24-70L,100-400L ,70-200F2.8LIS,85L,180L macro.18-200EF-S.8-15mmL.
Raynox DCR250,Kenko set extesion tube,ST-E2.
28-200,75-300,KenKo 2X TC,430EX,580EX II,Metz45 CL1.

QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 30, 2008 00:21 as a reply to  @ QX56's post |  #18

I really don't like putting the camera in M mode because all my images comes out blurry... I need a tripod... I am a very nervous girl... These images must have been in P mode. I don't think i put the camera in Manual mode. Anyway, this is what everything look like before I decided to take a couple of shots with my neice.

Jackies35 ,

Try this :
Put your camera in Manual mode ,
ISO 400 ,
Aperture about f.8 and shutter speed 1/125
flash set it to Manual mode 1/2 power or 1/4 ,the flash head you either point straight up to the ceiling if the ceiling is low , or just point it straight to the object ....and post some pict here .

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2008 09:22 |  #19

QX56 wrote in post #4813360 (external link)
OK...now control the flash power ...either 1/2 power or 1/4 or 1/8 power (Iso 400-800) and forget about ETTL ,the manual flash should be last for you a lot of shot .

Ok..if I do that don't I have to always stay within that distance? If I move closer a little the image will be blown? Back up a few feet it will be too dark? So if there is no ettl then there is no adjustments right? I have to stay within a few inches of that setting/distance all the time?

QX56
774 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jan 30, 2008 15:02 |  #20

Shooting wrote in post #4815299 (external link)
Ok..if I do that don't I have to always stay within that distance? If I move closer a little the image will be blown? Back up a few feet it will be too dark? So if there is no ettl then there is no adjustments right? I have to stay within a few inches of that setting/distance all the time?

This is my personal ref :

1. I alway stay in the same distance (10-15ft)with the object or people .
2.If I back up too far ...I either adjusted my Aperture or Flash power depend how many people in the shoot ...alot of time I adjusted the aperture ,because it quicker and fast than adjust the flash power so I don't miss the shot .
3.Some time the pict had alot of people and I have to go to wide (24mm ) I adjusted aperture to f6.3 .
for examle if I start at f.8 normal distance 10 ft ...i'll step up to f.6.3 ( I used 24-70f.2.8 )
4.For ETTL I adjust the flash power at the camera about 1/3 or 2/3 power ,also it depend on the distance .
But I don;t use ETTL at the wedding .

I try to keep my distance with in 10 feet ,so that I don't have to worry about adjust my flash power ,because in the wedding day ...I don't have time to mess around with flash setting .

You have to keep pratice and find with setting or method work for you .

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2008 19:22 as a reply to  @ QX56's post |  #21

Ok thanks for the info. Staying within that distance in a fast paced part of a wedding is not always possible. I need something reliable that works regardless of the situation or how many people, etc. I need ettl II to work the way it was made to do.As I said before on another forum, you don\'t see Nikon users having this problem. Canon has a big problem in the way they made their line of focusing/flash, etc.

Jim ­ M
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2008 21:00 |  #22

jackies35 wrote in post #4812638 (external link)
Here are the pictures I mentioned about.

Focal Length: 50mm
Exposure time: 0.125
I really don't like putting the camera in M mode because all my images comes out blurry... I need a tripod... I am a very nervous girl... These images must have been in P mode. I don't think i put the camera in Manual mode. Anyway, this is what everything look like before I decided to take a couple of shots with my neice.

I went from 800 iso down to 100 and I kept on changing the shutter speed. Now, I am shooting in manual mode on the camera, the flash is set to M and slave OFF.

I don't understand why putting your camera in manual mode would make the images come out blurry unless you had manually adjusted the shutter speed to a very low value or had the aperture wide open so there wasn't enough depth of field. Is it possible that you have confused the manual focus setting on your lens with the manual exposure setting on your camera? That could make fuzzy pictures fuzzy if you weren't focusing manually.

I'm not sure why you were changing the shutter speed. Unless it is faster than the sync speed, changing the shutter speed will not have an effect on flash exposure. It will have an effect on the ambient light exposure, but I don't think that is what you are trying to figure out. If you are just trying to get a decent exposure out of your flash, I would just let the flash provide all the light until you get a reasonable handle on that.

With your 430EX try putting the camera in manual and the 430EX in ETTL mode. Set the camera to 1/125 or 1/200 shutter speed and the aperture to f/5.6. ISO can be anything from 100 to 400. Take some pictures and see what you get. Don't mix the Alien Bee in because you won't be able to tell what the 430EX is doing.

When you use your Alien Bees you will have to use your camera in manual exposure mode so you can adjust the aperture for the proper exposure with the manual flash. Since the Alien Bee is a completely manual flash, it will require you to use a flash meter (not the one in your camera) or the histograms of some test images in order for you to set the aperture for a proper exposure. Nothing in or on your camera will adjust the light coming from the Alien Bee. Neither will the camera adjust itself to the amount of light coming from the Alien Bee. You will have to do both of these things manually.

I hope this is helpful and not just confusing.

(Edit: I just read your post in another thread about this subject, and I see that I didn't completely understand what you were up to. I'll put any additional comments on that thread)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2008 21:36 as a reply to  @ Jim M's post |  #23

Update: Shot a wedding last Saturday and my 580EX II performed great..my wife used the promaster 7500 dx and it quit after 15 shots. I mean it just quit firing.I took it off the bracket and put it back on and it worked for 5 more shots and then quit again. No matter what I did the rest of the day it refused to "talk" to the camera..ETTL light was on, fully charged but would not fire and of course promaster is no help. Since I don't have the more than $400 for another 580ex I'll just put my 283 on it with a safe sync...
I have heard MANY photographers with this same complaint the past few months with the promaster 7500dx.

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 16, 2008 23:39 |  #24

Shooting wrote in post #6509737 (external link)
I have heard MANY photographers with this same complaint the past few months with the promaster 7500dx.

I'm glad to see others are having a similar issue. My Promaster 7500DX does the SAME thing. I thought maybe the connection was loose, but it was tight. I have to turn camera and flash off, then disconnect flash from camera, then reattach both and turn on.

What a PitA!!

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 17, 2008 11:42 as a reply to  @ noxcuses1's post |  #25

Do yourself and me a favor go to the www.promaster.com (external link) site and write to them and tell them of your problem..the more that report it the better off it will be for everyone involved. Everyone on here needs to tell Promaster about it and then maybe that will get them to see it is a design flaw and will fix them for free, have a recall maybe.
It is pretty bad when you are shooting the processional at a wedding and your flash stops working right in the middle of it and you cannot get the rest of the bridesmaids coming down the aisle.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 17, 2008 19:23 |  #26

I tried to read this whole thread but didn't see any reference to the cable. You say you're using this on a bracket so you must have a cable involved. Could you have a faulty cable?

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 17, 2008 21:02 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #27

Oh LOL, that would help right? It does it on both cords I have. I have a promaster cord and the new Canon cord. I was over on the digital photography review forums and many photographers over there are having the same problem also, all with just the 7500dx flash. I put my 580ex II on the bracket with the promaster cord and it didn't fail. I believe the problem is in the flash itself or the module they made for the XT. There are just too many people out there having problems with just this one flash.

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2008 16:18 |  #28

Mine happens on camera. I don't recall if it's happened with a cord as I only use that sparingly.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2008 20:25 as a reply to  @ noxcuses1's post |  #29

Please go to the promaster website and tell them..the more that bring out this problem to their attention the better.

noxcuses1
889 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 20, 2008 17:35 |  #30

Shooting wrote in post #6519778 (external link)
Please go to the promaster website and tell them..the more that bring out this problem to their attention the better.

Yeah, ok, I did already. This was their response to me:

"There are a couple of things that could be causing this. First of all there have been 2 versions of the 7500DX for Canon. You will need to check to see which version you have. The original 7500DX for Canon #8535 is compatible with the original Digital Rebel (300D), EOS 10D and previous cameras. This will not work properly with the EOS cameras newer than the Digital Rebel or EOS 10D. This version of the 7500DX had a gold sticher on the back that said "Passed" or "G3 OK"
The 7500DX Version 2 #2037 for Canon was the updated flash for the sync timing change in Canons E-TTL 2 flash system when they brought out the Digital Rebel XT and EOS 20D.The version 2 is also compatible with the EOS 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, XTi, XSi and is backward compatible. These code#s are listed on the box for the flash.
This version has had a variety of stickers on the back, "EOS 20D", "Digital Rebel XT", "XTi", "30D", or "5D".
This problem can also be caused by over tightening the lock wheel on the flash. This can raise the communication pins on the flash away from the pins on the hotshoe making it loose communication and have to reset. A weak camera battery can also cause this.
Has the flash always done this? If so, did you contact the dealer about this problem?
If there was a defect in the flash we sure would have preferred to have taken care of this while the flash was under warranty. You can send your flash to Promaster to have them check it out and see if there is a problem with it."

sponsored links

3,793 views & 0 likes for this thread
Off camera flash underexposure
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.