Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

1d MarkIII - Determining shutter count

blonde
Buck Naked Floozies
8,405 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 29, 2008 14:14 |  #31

canonloader wrote in post #4808860 (external link)
And a few years ago, a guy said he had found cold fusion, showed a glass of water with some bubbles in it and demanded everyone believe him. Did you? Did anyone? Of course not. They may have wanted to, free power would change the world, but they demanded proof, tell us how so we can duplicate it, they said. PPppfffftttt, and we all know the rest of the story.

All I asked for was a Mk3 RAW or jpg with the exif intact, so I could try a few things, prove or disprove it myself. Incredible.

Mitch, i will send you a raw file from a mkIII when i get home tonight. just PM me your email address.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,447 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 29, 2008 16:21 |  #32

Plenty of MKIII JPGs with intact EXIF scattered throughout, like my ISO registry thread.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=430454

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 29, 2008 18:03 |  #33

Download this file and tell me how many actuations are on the body with CS2/CS3

http://www.jasonhollis​ter.com/tech/count.tif (external link)

Now open it with 1Dcount.

I know that this body has more than what shows in Photoshop. You cannot reliably use Photoshop to count your actuations. If you owned your Mk.III from new and are CERTAIN you have not shot more than 65535, then it's most likely accurate.

Buying used? Shot LOTS of 10fps frames and think youor over 50k? Then no, Photoshop is not going to help you get an accurate number.

Take the number PS gives you and add 65535. If you have shot over 65535 say by 12986 for a total of 78521, then the Exif will show 12986. It misses the 65535. Now if you have bought used how can you be certain that the "odometer" has only rolled over once? 1dCount will show the full 78521. This of course excludes Mk.III bodies. Currently, after 65535 you are screwed. It rolls over to zero with no way to know unless Canon says so.

Last time, you cannot reliably use Photoshop to count your actuations.

Enough?

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,911 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 29, 2008 18:32 |  #34

CS2 says 16680, 1Dcount says there's nothing there, after I converted it to a jpg. It doesn't see a tif at all.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

kobe629
694 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 29, 2008 19:51 |  #35

cosworth wrote in post #4807274 (external link)
You're kidding me right?

1Dcount/Cancount counts past 65535. The numbers from Photoshop do not. any many have seen that under 65535 Photoshop is still incorrect. Never use Photoshop to determine shutter count. Photoshop also cannot reliably read any Mk.III files.

I 2nd this..

Nikon

Wazza
Cream of the Crop
10,627 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 30, 2008 02:11 |  #36

Can you please check if this shows a rough shutter count through CS2/CS3?
JPG with exif:
http://www.warrenwilli​ams.co.nz/2008/JAN_007​8.jpg (external link)
I'm guessing approx 25,000 shots. 7 month old body

New Zealand Photography Tours (external link) | Williams Photography - Queenstown Wedding Photography (external link) |
Instagram (external link) | Facebook - Weddings (external link) | Facebook - Landscapes + Tours (external link)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,911 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2008 07:06 |  #37

Well, so far, none of these images have shown the same two info layout. I was trying to find it using a hex editor, but can't find the placeholders for the shutter counts on MkIII images at all. This last one is showing 24576/65536, but it's not for image count.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,447 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 30, 2008 07:10 |  #38

Yup, several of us have gone the hex editor route as well... including the author of the free 1D shutter counter posted on a different thread. But keep testing, it may be in that exif soup somewhere!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
"Man only has 5 senses, and sometimes not even that, so if they define the world, the universe, the dimensions of existence, and spirituality with just these limited senses, their view of what-is and what-can-be is very myopic indeed and they are doomed, now and forever."

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,911 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2008 07:24 |  #39

But keep testing, it may be in that exif soup somewhere!

It would almost have to be, since Canon seems to be able to find it. There's a lot of data in these things though. Good stuff to do when I'm snowed in. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,447 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 30, 2008 07:30 |  #40

It doesn't have to be, there are other items stored in the camera that are not projected into the EXIF data. If you could reverse-engineer the communications to the camera, you may be able to figure out how to request things that are stored in the camera not part of the photos. There is no need for Canon to store shutter count and other maintenance related items in the EXIF. Better yet, if a Canon insider could get a copy of the technician's program they use to communicate with the cameras, then share it! ;)

snapzz
352 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 30, 2008 07:34 |  #41

It is not possible to ascertain the shutter actuations on a MK3 body. Only Canon can pass on this info.

Graham

Digital Photo Events by
Graham Taylor Photography

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,911 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 30, 2008 07:38 |  #42

there are other items stored in the camera that are not projected into the EXIF data.

The 1D classic puts the count in the EXIF, after that model, it seems it got added to the hex data of the image itself and not recoverable with EXIF readers, which is also where the EXIF data is. Afterall, Canon wants a test image to tell you what it is, right?

It's also possible it's stored on one of the other chips inside that only Canon know how to access, along with in the hex data of the image.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
40,447 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 30, 2008 08:22 |  #43

There is a service by Canon where you send them a raw or jpg, and they tell you from the photo what your shutter count is? The only thing I have read is that Canon, when they have your camera, can tell you what your actuations is. If Canon can tell us from just a file, then it has to be in the EXIF somewhere, but I have never heard of this.

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 30, 2008 08:27 |  #44

canonloader wrote in post #4814793 (external link)
It's also possible it's stored on one of the other chips inside.

Let's hope your digging proves this theory wrong!

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

statsman
527 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 30, 2008 08:31 |  #45

Would Canon be evil enough to store the shutter count across several, noncontiguous bytes?

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

30,591 views & 0 likes for this thread, 16 members have posted to it.
1d MarkIII - Determining shutter count
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.