Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 03:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me with my strobist kit

Connor ­ P ­ Price
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 03:06 |  #1

I'm finally going to be putting together a basic lighting setup. I got the opportunity to play around with my buddy's light stand and pocket wizards along with my 220ex a few weeks ago and I'm addicted. Unfortunately I don't have nearly enough money in my budget for pocket wizards and the like. What I'd like to do is set up a nice portable strobist style two light kit that i can use my 220ex with so I don't have to buy another light.

As a basis for my setup I've been looking at the Strobist Kits at MPEX. Which can be found here. (external link) Since I'm using a rebel I obviously don't have the luxury of a pc port, so the Starving Student No PC Kit is what I've been looking at. However, since the 220 ex doesn't work with optical slaves, how do i configure a setup that I can use the 285hv and my 220ex with for a two light set up? Should I even use the MPEX kits at all? Is there another flash i should be considering like a sunpak 383? (sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I pick the right set up before i order it)

edit: I'll be using the lights for portraits, automotive photography, and G&N style shoots.

Rebel xt w/ bg-e3 grip, 70-200 f/4L, Canon 50 f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, speedlight 220ex, currently accepting donations for ABR800. ;)

sponsored links
White_Marten
456 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 29, 2008 03:11 |  #2

As for sync, you may consider el-cheapo e-bay, Gi triggers, I kmow I love mine!

Canon 350D, BgE3 Tamron 17-50 f-2.8,Yupiter 85 f-2

Canon 430EX, Sigma EF-500, Nikon sb-25, El-Skyports
www.dkunin.ru (external link) / Flickr (external link)

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 03:18 |  #3

How about the MPEX starving student wireless kit with the 285hv, and then another without the light or the transmitter to use with the 220ex. I cant see any reason why it wouldn't work, but would there be a better option?

Rebel xt w/ bg-e3 grip, 70-200 f/4L, Canon 50 f/1.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, speedlight 220ex, currently accepting donations for ABR800. ;)

White_Marten
456 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 29, 2008 03:26 |  #4

Yeah, that's the thing, these cheap triggers are included there.I think that kit would be a great deal for start, I know for sure, that you'll save yourself lot's of time, because for exemple I had to buy all these things seperately)

Canon 350D, BgE3 Tamron 17-50 f-2.8,Yupiter 85 f-2

Canon 430EX, Sigma EF-500, Nikon sb-25, El-Skyports
www.dkunin.ru (external link) / Flickr (external link)

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 03:30 |  #5

Thanks for the quick responses! Does anyone else have other options i should consider? I think I might prefer a wired setup for the sake of reliability.

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2008 08:35 |  #6

Connor P Price wrote in post #4806039 (external link)
Thanks for the quick responses! Does anyone else have other options i should consider? I think I might prefer a wired setup for the sake of reliability.

Does the 220EX have a manual mode?

Does the rebel not have a PC port at all?

you're going to have to go wireless for at least one of the flashes. If you don't intend to do outside work, you can get an optical trigger for fairly cheap. They're just not the greatest for reliability outdoors.

The GI remotes can be modded to help with reliability but the cheapest way to go reliable wireless right now is the Elinchrom Skyports. $186 a set. A lot more than the el'cheapo e-bay triggers, half the price of the PW's, and a very reliable trigger according to everyone I've ever seen/heard of using them.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 10:58 |  #7

No, the 220ex has no manual mode whatsoever, and the rebels dont have pc ports at all. I hadn't even thought of the Elinchrom Skyports. They may be a bit more expensive than i was thinking, but probably well worth it. So, let me know what you all think of this set up.

2 lumopro lp604 5 section stands (external link)
2 lumopro lp632 umbrella swivels (external link)
2 westcott umbrellas (external link)
2 vivitar 285hv flashes (external link)
Elinchrom Skyport 2 receiver kit (external link)
2 rapid battery chargers (external link)
2 diy grid barndoor and snoot kit (external link)
Total cost: about 660

bikers1
104 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 29, 2008 11:37 as a reply to  @ Connor P Price's post |  #8

For strobes I've had nothing but reliable service from

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

extra receiver

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk ….m118.l1247QQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

a total of about $40 for three lights

These things work, I've got other things to spend the money on that I've saved :)

guess if I did a lot more strobe work I'd look at PW's or something.

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2008 12:04 |  #9

Connor P Price wrote in post #4807855 (external link)
No, the 220ex has no manual mode whatsoever, and the rebels dont have pc ports at all. I hadn't even thought of the Elinchrom Skyports. They may be a bit more expensive than i was thinking, but probably well worth it. So, let me know what you all think of this set up.

2 lumopro lp604 5 section stands (external link)
2 lumopro lp632 umbrella swivels (external link)
2 westcott umbrellas (external link)
2 vivitar 285hv flashes (external link)
Elinchrom Skyport 2 receiver kit (external link)
2 rapid battery chargers (external link)
2 diy grid barndoor and snoot kit (external link)
Total cost: about 660

No.

I believe that currently the skyports still do not work with the 285HV. They're supposed to come out with a set that's compatible. If you're ordering from www.mpex.com (external link) , it's best to call them and ask. Ask to talk to Moishe. He's the guy to talk to about the Strobist kit and he'll help you out. That's actually the reason I went with Pocket Wizards, because the skyports didn't work with my vivitars. You can always switch up to the Sunpak 383's. I believe they work with the skyports and they're $10 cheaper than the 285HV's iirc.

Speedotron users, untie!

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 15:00 |  #10

Oh wow, good to know, it would have been quite a dissapointment to have everything show up and then not to be compatible.

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2008 17:09 |  #11

When you are looking at buying everything from scratch, you could just pick up some AB800's for about $200 more...

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

Village_Idiot
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 29, 2008 17:10 |  #12

bigjon0107 wrote in post #4810481 (external link)
When you are looking at buying everything from scratch, you could just pick up some AB800's for about $200 more...

Than the $660? Does that include stands, wireless radio triggers, umbrellas, etc?

Speedotron users, untie!

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2008 17:17 |  #13

Village_Idiot wrote in post #4810494 (external link)
Than the $660? Does that include stands, wireless radio triggers, umbrellas, etc?

2x AB800's - $560
Skyports - $185
2x 6' Stands (similar to what he mentioned) - $40
2x Umbrellas - $40

Total: $825 (only $165 more)

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

Connor ­ P ­ Price
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 29, 2008 17:20 |  #14

Unfortunately the 660 was already pushing the limits of my budget, so i think what i'll end up doing is getting the ABR800 that I've wanted so badly with a stand, moon unit, and 15 foot sync cord so i can play with it off camera for a while. And add on a light to that and skyports once i have some more cash.

edit: For the additional light, I'll stick with the same sunpak strobe and everything mentioned before so that I still maintain the portability with that one light if needed. It'll cost me more in the long run since im going with the ABR800, but i think it will be more versatile, and worth every penny.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 29, 2008 18:27 |  #15

bigjon0107 wrote in post #4810535 (external link)
2x AB800's - $560
Skyports - $185
2x 6' Stands (similar to what he mentioned) - $40
2x Umbrellas - $40

Total: $825 (only $165 more)

And you can dump the Skyports and get (admittedly not as good) AB RFT1s for $120. But since the ABs also have optical triggers you can dump another $40 off the price by just getting one and letting the one light trigger the other. Or you could skip the wireless completely - they come with PC cords.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

6,459 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me with my strobist kit
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.