Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 30 Jan 2008 (Wednesday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sx100is macro settings help

ddphotography
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2008 09:43 |  #1

Hey everyone.
so, I got a Canon Sx100is a few months ago after doing tons of research.
I have lighting, lightbox, everything I can think of, but am finding the macro on this camera a bit stubborn. any setting suggestions?

Thanks

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 30, 2008 09:48 |  #2

Examples? And please spell out what you did for each shot you may post . . .

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

ddphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 30, 2008 10:27 |  #3

This was taken with my canon Powershot A310 2mp. In a light box with only one daylight bulb (40watt) and a piece of white poster board above the bulb to reflect the lighting. Camera was on a tripod. Settings: White Bal 0, Lighting Tungston,ISO auto, Timer Off, Superfine, L 2048x1536, Macro, No falsh
Results: Perfect. The color is beautiful and reflects the object exactly. The only editing is cropping.

This was taken with my canon SX100is 8mp. In a light box with two daylight bulbs (40watt) and a piece of white poster board above the bulb to reflect the lighting. Camera was on a tripod. Settings: White Bal Auto, Lighting Auto (tungston looked bad),ISO 80, Timer 2 sec., Superfine, L 3264x2448, Macro, No falsh
Results: SubPar. Color very whited out. Photo not sharp. Took 10 shots to get this 1. Edited in PS tons to get this coloring and focus. Not pretty.

Hope I loaded photos correctly. We shall see. Thanks for your help.

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Jan 30, 2008 13:24 as a reply to  @ ddphotography's post |  #4

Hi there Dawn.

I am Jimmy , nice meeting you here.

Me no expert in Marco but I loved it very much on the SX100IS.

Perhaps there are a few things that caused this (and perhaps I am wrong)

a. Turn off your IS when on tripod

b. Use manual focus, the focus box may be aiming at the wrong spot (you want the necklance to be the focal point

c. The background you used on the 2nd shot was white paper , whereas the 1st was on a wooden background. I guess the white back ground does not helps in metering correctly, resulting in a washout..... Perhaps a 18% grey card can be helpful (if you can find one easily).

d. Shooting in AV mode, at smallest apreture setting to get max depth of field.

e. Bracket shots. Helps to reduce some guesses about over / under exposures.

Personally, i have to make EV adjustments on a numbers of shots on the SX100IS. I dunno why on the DigicIII chipset, I had lots more work (and fun) overriding the settings than my A620.

Hoped this helps

I hoped to do something indoors soon, when my next product are ready for shooting. Try and let you know.... :-)

Jimmy
Just my 2 frame's worth :D:D:D
My Gear List
500px album (external link)

ddphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 31, 2008 12:48 |  #5

Hey Jimmy,
I will try all your suggs today or tomm and let you know. If I get a good shot, I'll post it. I think I will try using the same background.

I am really trying to perfect my macro skills.
Dawn

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 01, 2008 01:27 as a reply to  @ ddphotography's post |  #6

Good luck to your attempts on the weekend.

If you are really serious into Macro, then I would think serious equipment is needed.

What equipment do i mean ?

- A DSLR with a good marco lens
- Macro ring light or at least a studio strobe, to provide sufficent lighting for no-shadow and depth of field requirement.
- a tripod with ball head, for that steady shot. (forget IS)
- (perhaps) a handheld light meter

but you have to start somewhere, SX100IS may be a good starting point

Jimmy
My Gear List

ddphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2008 07:51 as a reply to  @ lensmen's post |  #7

do you recommend a particular dslr? I know everyone is hooked on the rebel, but is that the one you'd recommend. I hear it's great for sports photog, but haven't really heard anything on it for macro.

I did alot of research on the sx100is for macro and it looked really good for the process/price. I am not currently working so money is an issue...but would like to know what to look into when the time comes to upgrade to the forementioned gear.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 01, 2008 09:12 |  #8

For macro with an SLR the body isn't all that significant. You don't need high frame rates, you generally don't want high ISO because of the noise, and you're probably going to need to focus manually. The real key factor is the lens you choose. Most people, especially if they're photographing live animals, prefer a longer focal length lens for that so they can be further away from the subject.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 01, 2008 12:21 |  #9

ddphotography wrote in post #4829048 (external link)
do you recommend a particular dslr? I know everyone is hooked on the rebel, but is that the one you'd recommend. I hear it's great for sports photog, but haven't really heard anything on it for macro.

I did alot of research on the sx100is for macro and it looked really good for the process/price. I am not currently working so money is an issue...but would like to know what to look into when the time comes to upgrade to the forementioned gear.

Jon is right to the point.

If I were in your shoes with this particular type of subjects (still life macro), I would put a heavier % of my limited $$$ into the lens & lighting. A Rebel (300D / 350D) is more than sufficient UNLESS you need high resolution.

I am in HK and are more fortunate that I have access to cheap white tents box
(i think my BIG unit cost less than Euro20.)

Studio lights (made in china type) don't cost as much either.

http://www.falconeyes.​com.hk/diyhp/12224/xml​/home.jsp (external link)

I will be doing some product shots for my company soon. Hoped that my 300D + the existing lens & 1 flash light will help to create the acceptable photos. Share them here when the job started.... (yes, I will use the SX100 as well, since I am at it....)

Have fun....

Jimmy

Jimmy
My Gear List

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 01, 2008 12:25 as a reply to  @ lensmen's post |  #10

one more thing....

as the saying goes...it is the photographer who makes the picture, not the equipment.

so i suggest that you have lots of practice...any subject in your surrounding will do....the SX100 + IS can make wonderful shots while on the go....and I love this camera for it's ability....

Jimmy
My Gear List

ddphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2008 08:49 |  #11

lensmen, i was looking back over the threads for "sx100is" and came across the one where you discussed battery life. I also had that problem. I was at a local park shooting and went through 6 batts in 2 hours. The manual says on rechargables you have to use 2500mha or higher. Mine were all 2500mha and yet all died in no time. I was closer to Wolf Camera than I was to home and wasn't finished shooting, so headed to Wolf.
To my discovery, I learned that LITHIUM Batteries are much more powerful than the rechargables. I purchased a pack of 4 lithium batteries (and a set of 2 rechargables). Put 2 lithiums in my camera and went back to the park.
I shot for another 2 hours and went home.
That was 2 weeks ago. I have since shot lots of pics. I still have the original 2 lithiums in my camera and my camera is still alive. I am so thankful I chose to go to wolf that day. Hope this helps you out :-)

4 AA energizer lithium batteries - $12.00
Gas to buy them - $3.00 a gallon
Not running out of battery life every hour - Priceless!

lensmen
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Feb 03, 2008 09:16 as a reply to  @ ddphotography's post |  #12

Hello there. How was your weekend shoot (other than the battery issue).

Rechargeable batteries does have lifespan, both as "time from being fully charged" and "time from date of purchase".

Other factors that has an influence includes the temperture that your camera is snapping under. I was in Beijing with my new SX100 and it was like about 0 deg C, freezing cold. Managed to make about 300+ shots before I am done with that set. However, recently when my friend visiting Hong Kong, I was doing like almost 500 shots on the same set of batteries before I took them out for recharging..

A 2500mAh battery, usually has about 2350mAh marked as minimum capcaity. Personally, I am using both 2500 & 2700mAh batteries (min cap 2500mAh). I can safely say this as I am using my company's product, www.fiamo.com (external link), and I have to pay for them as a staff - at a discount.

Why is there a minimum capacity ? Something to do with the manufacturing process and it has to be stated somewhere on the batt for legal reasons. Also how was it charged plays another role. We had the 30 mins ultra fast charger, which requires special rechargeable batteries that can withstand the heat & hi-current charging & 240 mins quick charger. Often customers will take our 2500 / 2700 batteries on the 30 mins chargers, only to find that the batts died within weeks. The batteries were killed by the ultra quick charger, destoryed by the heat, so warranty claim was denied.

Usually these are not common knowledge shared by the major brands selling the 15/30 mins chargres you see on the market. Reason is that the more you destoryed your batteries, the more they sell. (to qualify the 15/30mins charger, i mean that the charger can charge 4 x 2000mAh batteries in 15 or 30 mins)

I always advise, bring spare batteries along. They don't cost that much more that the downtime inconvenices and the cost of gas to getting spare batts from the local stores.

Back to your existing set of battery. To have something that almost died within short period, means that the battery don't hold charge (the power juice) as well as when it was new. A sign that the battery should be retired and get new ones.

hoped this helps .

Ps: how was the macro shots ? and your shots at the park ? :-)

Jimmy
My Gear List

Newstech
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2008 09:18 as a reply to  @ ddphotography's post |  #13

Don't give up on the SX100. I just bought mine a few weeks ago and have gotten some wonderful macro shots, just fooling around. Dropped a penknife on the carpet, and can see amazing amounts of detail in the full image -- even individual fibers in the carpet are crystal sharp. Lensmen's suggestions are excellent. Did you get a chance to try them? I would add that you want to make sure you're shooting your subject straight on, to keep everything in the focal plane. Your SX100 shot seems to be at an angle. (My knife has the same problem -- the logo is out of focus.)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- SX100 IS, beloved 1975 Nikkormat EL--

bard385
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 04, 2008 10:33 |  #14

ddphotography wrote in post #4815394 (external link)
Hey everyone. My name is Dawn. I have had a basic canon powershot a310 for 3 years and pretty much perfected macro with that camera. I have the settings, lighting, everything down pat. But the camera isn't as nice as what I'd like...

Thanks.

If you were getting good macros with the a310, you should not need to invest in a DSLR. I find the macro on the sx100is to be very good. I'd try experimenting with under exposure or lighting changes and use manual setting more. Don't give up on the sx100 yet, it's a sweetheart.

ddphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
57 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2008 11:56 |  #15

lensmen, as soon as I get on my desktop I will put up a few pics. I'm really happy with the park pics. I still don't have the macro ones down like I want. I am a perfectionist. I can't seem to get lighting and settings right. I'm still working on it though.

bard385, I promise I won't give up. what are some of the setting combinations you've used? Thanks.

sponsored links

5,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
sx100is macro settings help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.