Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2008 (Friday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Indoor Sports and Canon 40D

Jefflesh
28 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2008 07:37 |  #1

Ok, here is a question for you guys that I am sure will result in a few different suggestions.

I will be shooting indoor sports for a little while and I am wondering which setting people typically shoot. M, Av, or Tv and why you shoot in that mode?

I will be using the following lenses, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 100 f/2.8 macro, or EF 70-200 f/4.0.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

sponsored links
gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 01, 2008 08:59 |  #2

shoot in AV as low as you can ie: 1.8

look for shutter speeds above 300 depending on movement of subject.

adjust ISO to get your shutter in that area...

prob use AI servo as well... 1.8 is pretty shallow even at distance
and if you have AF set to af-on its like having 1 shot AND servo at the same time....

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,157 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 01, 2008 09:26 |  #3

I do it a bit differently. I put the ISO at 3200, and go into Tv mode for indoor hockey. I set speeds at faster than 1/300th, and then let the aperture fluctuate accordingly. A puck or stick locked in air is more important to me sometimes than the dof. I have done it the other way as well though, as gravy described above. I also shoot the ice to set custom white balance because it is one less step later during the raw conversion.

I have used both the Sigma and Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lenses, the 100-400, and even the Bigma at hockey games. These last two lenses were not very useful during the heavy action however, but between periods, they were good for getting the fun mascot shots, center ice action, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Jefflesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 01, 2008 10:26 |  #4

Thanks guys for your replies. Do you know anything about using flashes? I typically do not like to use flash but I may have to as some of these gyms are pretty dark. My questions is, are the speed-lights far superior than the camera flash? Now, I know that they are better but, how much better are they? I am sure that is not easy to answer.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

BaumannPhotography
619 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 01, 2008 11:10 |  #5

Manual
ISO 1600-3200
f/1.8-4.0 (because of your lenses)
SS aprox. 250-500
RAW
Spot metering (expose for skin/or 18% gray card)
Al Servo
Center focus point
6.5 fps
AWB

if lighting is constant than these settings should work fine, just play with it a little to get it to where you want it.

I have bad experience with Tv, and Av mode because that camera makes the decision for me which I don't get satisfactory results with, for instance if one team has white uniforms and the other red/black and you fill the frame with the player you will get 2 very different results, in Av mode if you are set for 1.8 and shoot the white team, it's no problem, but the red team can effect your shutter speed to the point that it will cause blur. This is not always the case because other factors come into play, But in highschool gyms I find that it is best to take control of whatever you can. Hope this helps

www.action-fx.com (external link)
1Ds Mark III - 1D MIIN
300L 2.8 IS - 24-70L 2.8 - 70-200L 2.8 IS - 85L 1.2
580 exII - 430ex

partsman
210 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 01, 2008 11:10 as a reply to  @ Jefflesh's post |  #6

i have a rebel xt and shoot a lot indoors. the 430ex speedlight was the best purchase i've made. literallly the difference between night and day compared to on camera flash. also lots of other options for bouncing, focusing in low light etc.

Mark
50D l 350D l 70-200L f/2.8 IS l EFS 17-85 f4.0-5.6 l 50 f/1.4 l 430EX

Jefflesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 02, 2008 20:38 as a reply to  @ partsman's post |  #7

:lol:

Ok, I went and bought a speedlight 430 last night to use with the 40D and I must say that I am pretty happy with the results, see for yourself.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i193.photobucke​t.com …260/jefflesh/Sa​mple-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The flash worked great!

Photo taken with the 70-200 f/4.0 at 1/200 sec shutter and ISO 400.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 02, 2008 23:31 |  #8

Remember to ask the coaches from both teams if flash is OK. This will save you from looking unprofessional if they don't allow it and need to stop an event to tell you to turn it off. If you are covering more than one event be sure to ask again. While one may not have a problem, another might. I like the shot.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Joe ­ Cyr
989 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 03, 2008 07:08 |  #9

Jefflesh wrote in post #4839291 (external link)
:lol:

Ok, I went and bought a speedlight 430 last night to use with the 40D and I must say that I am pretty happy with the results, see for yourself.

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i193.photobucke​t.com …260/jefflesh/Sa​mple-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

The flash worked great!

Photo taken with the 70-200 f/4.0 at 1/200 sec shutter and ISO 400.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Nice job... next time go up to 800, with the flash on, and see the results. I think you will like them.

Canon 1D (Mark III) (Mark IV),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 03, 2008 08:13 |  #10

More: Question and Answer Sessions with some noteable POTN Members

Sports Shooting Tutorials and Advice

Q&A Session with Gmen: Sports Photography

The week's sporting events in images...

Why do you guys use manual? AV makes more sense.
http://www.photography​-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=130176

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Jefflesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2008 08:28 |  #11

Mike R wrote in post #4840156 (external link)
Remember to ask the coaches from both teams if flash is OK. This will save you from looking unprofessional if they don't allow it and need to stop an event to tell you to turn it off. If you are covering more than one event be sure to ask again. While one may not have a problem, another might. I like the shot.

Mike,

Thanks for the advice, I didn't think if that, should I also ask the refs?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jefflesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2008 08:30 |  #12

Joe Cyr wrote in post #4841449 (external link)
Nice job... next time go up to 800, with the flash on, and see the results. I think you will like them.

Joe,

Thanks or the advice. I have to ask, how will that improve my picture? Will it make the picture more sharp?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

emtp563
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 03, 2008 08:45 |  #13

I was at a sporting event last night at the Meadowlands. It was a monster truck race and I used manual exposure. This would apply to you also. The trucks's colors ranged from black, to blue, to orange, to red. This would effect exposure. I set my aperture to 2.8, ISO to 1600, and I used manual and spot metered off of the stadium floor. To my surprise, I achieve a shutter speed of 1/640 and I knew that was more than enough for what I needed. I could have decreased the ISO or I could have decreased the aperture a little if I wanted to, but I knew my lens performs well at f/2.8 and the camera handles ISO 1600 well. So it didn't matter if the stadium suddenly lit up all of their spotlights, or if flames shot out of an engine- my exposure was always constant and correct.

*cameras: Canon 1D Mark III | Canon 1D Mark II | Canon 1D "Classic" | Canon S95
*lenses: Canon 16-35L f/2.8 | Canon 24-70L f/2.8 | Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS | Canon 1.4x TC II
*accessories: Canon 580EX II/430EX | Quantum Turbo SC | CP-E4
http://www.cyclingcapt​ured.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/cyclingcaptured (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 03, 2008 12:06 |  #14

Jefflesh wrote in post #4841667 (external link)
Joe,

Thanks or the advice. I have to ask, how will that improve my picture? Will it make the picture more sharp?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

The problem is that the background is so dark, so the picture is not pleasing. Faster aperture and high ISO will allow more ambient exposure which will brighten it up.

I don't shoot indoor sports with flash. I shoot M mode and adjust my settings to push the histogram right to control the noise. I prefer ambient for the balance and because the flash can distract the atheletes.

5D, 85mm, 1/320, f/2, ISO3200.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

khaz
147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2008 12:11 |  #15

Can you explain pushing the histogram to the right to control the noise? How does that control the noise?

Kevin

Just trying to get better!

sponsored links

19,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Indoor Sports and Canon 40D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.