Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 06 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you guys use your Maha C9000 with your eneloops or any battery?

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2008 10:21 |  #1

I'm curious, I just received this charger and a bunch of Eneloops and 4 Powerex 2700.

How do you guys use the charger or what is the most efficient way on using the charger with eneloops and/or powerex (if there is a difference).

Thanks!

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

sponsored links
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 06, 2008 10:22 |  #2

What's an eneloop? Never heard of such an animal.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

PhotoDude25
126 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 06, 2008 16:00 |  #3

Doc,
An eneloop is a rechargeable from Sanyo that is supposed to hold a charge much longer than standard rechargeables. They are supposed to come precharged when you buy them for immediate use and will hold their charge after non use a very long time.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2008 16:06 |  #4

Well for starters all those new eneloops you got, slap them in there one at a time and set each one as you put it in to Break-In and set the maH for 2000 and let em go. Will take about 2 days but youll be doing 4 at a time. This is best way to get them to their max capacity and ready for a good long life right off the bat. Once you do that you shouldnt have to do it again for about 30 recharges so says maha. After that just normally charge them doing a discharge first to the lowest amperage that you have time for. I have yet to test the various amperage settings to see how much time each one takes versus the others, but you should plan to charge batteries when you are not in a hurry. As the eneloops are ultra low discharge you can store them charged up and ready to go for the next round.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2008 16:23 |  #5

ben_r_ wrote in post #4865308 (external link)
Well for starters all those new eneloops you got, slap them in there one at a time and set each one as you put it in to Break-In and set the maH for 2000 and let em go. Will take about 2 days but youll be doing 4 at a time. This is best way to get them to their max capacity and ready for a good long life right off the bat. Once you do that you shouldnt have to do it again for about 30 recharges so says maha. After that just normally charge them doing a discharge first to the lowest amperage that you have time for. I have yet to test the various amperage settings to see how much time each one takes versus the others, but you should plan to charge batteries when you are not in a hurry. As the eneloops are ultra low discharge you can store them charged up and ready to go for the next round.

Ben:

Thank you very much for this information. I knew that getting this awesome charger with awesome ultra low discharge rate batteries, I'm getting the best bang for my buck with the best capabilities versus standard NimH batteries.

On the other hand, everything you have said I need to digest. It seems like I just complicated my battery charging workflow. Hahaha...seriously though.

With my other 8 eneloop batteries, it came with a standard charger and all I did was put the batteries in and plugged it into the wall.

Now, it seems like I have to "break-in" the batteries, then keep a tab on how many recharges I have done before I have to do it again. And just to charge these suckers, I have to discharge first before I do a charge?

Dang! Did I miss anything? How efficient could the charger that came with the batteries be, especially in comparison to the Maha C9000? It seems like there is a workflow in ensuring how to charge these?

Well for starters all those new eneloops you got, slap them in there one at a time and set each one as you put it in to Break-In and set the maH for 2000 and let em go. Will take about 2 days but youll be doing 4 at a time.

I'm confused, so take the first set of 4 and put it in the charger and do a break-in. (4 batteries at a time?)

Anyone else want to chime in? I'm sure there are others here that has this combination.

Lenses and Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2008 16:39 |  #6

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4865406 (external link)
Ben:

Thank you very much for this information. I knew that getting this awesome charger with awesome ultra low discharge rate batteries, I'm getting the best bang for my buck with the best capabilities versus standard NimH batteries.

On the other hand, everything you have said I need to digest. It seems like I just complicated my battery charging workflow. Hahaha...seriously though.

With my other 8 eneloop batteries, it came with a standard charger and all I did was put the batteries in and plugged it into the wall.

Now, it seems like I have to "break-in" the batteries, then keep a tab on how many recharges I have done before I have to do it again. And just to charge these suckers, I have to discharge first before I do a charge?

Dang! Did I miss anything? How efficient could the charger that came with the batteries be, especially in comparison to the Maha C9000? It seems like there is a workflow in ensuring how to charge these?

I'm confused, so take the first set of 4 and put it in the charger and do a break-in. (4 batteries at a time?)

Anyone else want to chime in? I'm sure there are others here that has this combination.

Well I am super anal and I do actually track the charge cycles of my batteries. I invested about $200 in eneloops (I have tons both AAs and AAAs) and the C9000 and I intend to get the most out of my investment.

Sorry If some of what I said confused you. The C9000 is an advanced charger and of course its going to have a lot of custom and advanced settings. First off, the C9000 is a single sell charger, which is a feature you can only get with the expensive high quality chargers. What this means is that you can charge just one battery at a time if you like as opposed to other chargers where you have to put in two at a time or three at a time. Charging batteries in pairs is bad as not all cells are in the same condition. So this is def a feature not a bug. This also means that as you stick batteries in the charger you have to set what you want the charger to do with each one (or each slot depending on how you want to think about it). The default it just to charge, but I like to set it to discharge first and then it automatically starts charging when its done discharging the cell. This is the best way to keep the maximum capacity each cell is capable of.

Read the manual throughly as it explains most of this with recommendations. Or Ill try to keep my eye on this thread and answer your questions as best I can without confusing you.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2008 19:27 |  #7

Everything that you have said makes sense. I don't want to be anal about this but I do want to make sure I am using the charger correctly. I mean what's the sense of getting a charger such as this (expensive) if all I'm going to do is put the batteries and set it to charge. Otherwise, I might as well stick with the battery charger that came with the batteries.

Either way, the instructions on the manual for the Maha C9000 is definately clear, explaining what each function does but I also wanted to inquire what or everyone here use their charger in combination with their eneloops.

Now, here is the second question, I would be using the 4 batteries at a time in my 580ex II flash and nothing else. When I'm ready to charge, should I be discharging and charging 4 at a time considering that it should have depleted the batteries similarly or do you still use one battery at a time (which would be time consuming).

Please let me know.

Lenses and Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 06, 2008 21:44 |  #8

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4866536 (external link)
Either way, the instructions on the manual for the Maha C9000 is definately clear, explaining what each function does but I also wanted to inquire what or everyone here use their charger in combination with their eneloops.

Im not sure I understand what you are asking here... Try rephrasing that question.

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4866536 (external link)
Now, here is the second question, I would be using the 4 batteries at a time in my 580ex II flash and nothing else. When I'm ready to charge, should I be discharging and charging 4 at a time considering that it should have depleted the batteries similarly or do you still use one battery at a time (which would be time consuming).

No you would be charging the batteries four at a time, all I was trying to say was that the charger itself treats each battery slot as an individual. So what you want done to each battery in each slot has to be told to the charger. For example: lets say you have two dead AA batteries and you just need to charge them and you also have two brand new AA batteries that you just got today. Well you could put the two dead batteries in say slots 1 and 2 (or 3 and 4 or 1 and 4 it really doesnt matter) and tell the charger to just charge slots 1 and 2, then while those are going you could put the two brand new batteries in slots 3 and 4 and tell the charger to do a break in on those since they are brand new.

Now since it sounds like you will be only using these batteries in a flash four at a time (until you get a flash battery pack that is ;) ) once they are dead you will be charging them all together. Well even in this case its a good idea to tell the charger to do a full discharge on all four slots so you can properly cycle each cell. It doesnt add that much time to the whole ordeal and just because they are dead enough to no longer power your flash doesnt mean they are actually completely dead.

Anyone else care to chime in here? Whats everyone else recommend for best battery care practices with the Maha C9000? I know we are not the only ones with this charger, its the most popular charger talked about on POTN. If there is something Im missing here, have incorrect or could be explained better please comment.

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 06, 2008 23:40 |  #9

I understand now. Thanks for the information. I'm sure once I read through the manual and digest what the modes are, it'll be simple enough to go through.

Lenses and Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 07, 2008 08:45 |  #10

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4868085 (external link)
I understand now. Thanks for the information. I'm sure once I read through the manual and digest what the modes are, it'll be simple enough to go through.

Yep, and once you go through the process once itll become habit. :) good luck and congrats on purchasing an excellent charger!

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 07, 2008 08:55 |  #11

Oh another thing, along with this purchase, it came with 4 Powerex 2700. I'm presuming it'st he same process with these?

Lenses and Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 07, 2008 09:04 |  #12

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4869696 (external link)
Oh another thing, along with this purchase, it came with 4 Powerex 2700. I'm presuming it'st he same process with these?

Yea except youll be setting the mah to 2700 when you do the break in or anything else that is capacity specific.

nutsnbolts
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 09, 2008 03:36 |  #13

Hey Ben:

Here is a situation I ran into when I was used the break-in setting for the 2700. (Dang this takes a long time)

Anyway, as I checked the charger as to the status of where it is at in the "break-in process" it was charging fine and dandy. It had gone through the discharge phase and so forth and all that was left was to charge.

Somewhere along the lines, my son actually tripped over the plug and after 30 minutes or so after realizing it, I plugged it back in and it began to charge again.

Now, the question I have is did I just disrupt something?

Secondly, now that it has completed charging, the status of the batteries states

1. 21xx
2. 20xx
3. 22xx
4. 21xx

No where near 2700? What to do now? Analyze & refresh?

Lenses and Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 09, 2008 06:53 as a reply to  @ nutsnbolts's post |  #14

Hi Everyone,

Great posts Ben! I hope Maha C9000 owners keep chiming in with information. I just received mine and am excited about putting it to use!

Bryan

My Gear List

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2008 11:05 |  #15

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4881856 (external link)
Hey Ben:

Here is a situation I ran into when I was used the break-in setting for the 2700. (Dang this takes a long time)

Anyway, as I checked the charger as to the status of where it is at in the "break-in process" it was charging fine and dandy. It had gone through the discharge phase and so forth and all that was left was to charge.

Somewhere along the lines, my son actually tripped over the plug and after 30 minutes or so after realizing it, I plugged it back in and it began to charge again.

Now, the question I have is did I just disrupt something?

Secondly, now that it has completed charging, the status of the batteries states

1. 21xx
2. 20xx
3. 22xx
4. 21xx

No where near 2700? What to do now? Analyze & refresh?

Yea I had that happen once. Dummy me I plugged the charger into an outlet that was hooked to a light switch and you guessed it, someone turned the light switch off. Yea if that happens you basically have to start all over because once the charger resets its default reset state is to just charge and I believe the default capacity setting is something like 2100-2200mah. So youll have to start the whole break in process over again remembering to give it the correct capacity value of 2700mah. And yes like I mentioned before it really does take about two days to do the break in process, but remember this: after a break in has been completed your batteries will actually hold closer to their 2700mah capacity and you only have to do it once in a long while. Plus if you have or had any old rechargeable batteries that needed reviving believe me you would be thoroughly inpressed by what running the break in cycle with that charger will do to breath new life into old batteries that you thought were done for.

sponsored links

20,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you guys use your Maha C9000 with your eneloops or any battery?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.