Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 08 Feb 2008 (Friday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My First E-Pics - Critique More than Welcome!

mrsblondie
33 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2008 13:05 |  #1

Hi there,

I am a little nervous about posting but I really would like some feedback and critique. These pictures are from back in October.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …raphy/IMG_0145_​resize.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …ix/Photography/​QT_051.jpg (external link)

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …raphy/IMG_1218_​resize.jpg (external link)

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …raphy/IMG_0873_​resize.jpg (external link)

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …raphy/IMG_0466_​resize.jpg (external link)

http://i202.photobucke​t.com …raphy/IMG_0429_​resize.jpg (external link)

Cameras: 40D,40D,10D all Gripped
Lenses: Canon 17-55mm: f2.8 IS / Canon 70-200: F2.8 / Canon 17-85mm: f4 / Sigma 24-70mm: f2.8 / Tamron 28-200mm: f3.8-5.6
And a bunch of other goodies

sponsored links
whoadude
423 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 08, 2008 13:40 |  #2

pics?

www.sebstudios.net (external link)

mrsblondie
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2008 13:43 |  #3

whoadude wrote in post #4878077 (external link)
pics?

You can't see them?

Lenses: Canon 17-55mm: f2.8 IS / Canon 70-200: F2.8 / Canon 17-85mm: f4 / Sigma 24-70mm: f2.8 / Tamron 28-200mm: f3.8-5.6

CTScrivener
229 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2008 14:20 |  #4

Other than the subjects seeming a bit...nervous/tense, they are good photos. I do have a few opinions but please don't take these harshly, only trying to help.

Photo#1 - The guy looks a bit uncomfortable and I would've liked to see them both on the other side of the stairs (away from the rail).

Photo#2 - Seems a bit overexposed/soft. I do like the pose and such though!

Photo#3 - The horizon bothers me some, and again..they look uncomfortable?

You probably hate me by now, I'm sorry....=( I suck at photos of people so I really shouldn't be saying anything...

I really like #5 even though it's a little soft. The angle of the photo ^_^ they look more natural and relaxed.

Canon 7D, Canon 580 EX II Flash, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Black Rapid RS-4 w/BRAD

Canon Rebel XT w/BG-E3, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 [kit lens], Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

bndgrl
187 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 08, 2008 14:24 |  #5

1. Can't see her face at all b/c of the shadows.
2. Seems a little soft but has potential with a lil pp work. Maybe crop in a little closer as well.
3. My favorite. I like it.
4. Can't see his face b/c of the shadows and she looks annoyed ;)
5. To me looks like the focus is on the cement edge not on the couple.
6. Hmm, not sure. I kinda like this one except the big red building is distracting.

Good start though!

mrsblondie
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2008 14:36 |  #6

CTScrivener wrote in post #4878306 (external link)
Other than the subjects seeming a bit...nervous/tense, they are good photos. I do have a few opinions but please don't take these harshly, only trying to help.

Photo#1 - The guy looks a bit uncomfortable and I would've liked to see them both on the other side of the stairs (away from the rail).

Photo#2 - Seems a bit overexposed/soft. I do like the pose and such though!

Photo#3 - The horizon bothers me some, and again..they look uncomfortable?

You probably hate me by now, I'm sorry....=( I suck at photos of people so I really shouldn't be saying anything...

I really like #5 even though it's a little soft. The angle of the photo ^_^ they look more natural and relaxed.

I don't hate you at all! I absolutely love the feedback!

Your speculation on the mood of the couple is dead on. They asked me to do them, but were both very uncomfortable throughout the day. I did spend a lot of time directing them as they were constantly hiding behind eachother.

Do you have any tips on how to get them relax?

Again, thank you so much for the feedback!

mrsblondie
THREAD ­ STARTER
33 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 08, 2008 14:38 |  #7

bndgrl wrote in post #4878324 (external link)
1. Can't see her face at all b/c of the shadows.
2. Seems a little soft but has potential with a lil pp work. Maybe crop in a little closer as well.
3. My favorite. I like it.
4. Can't see his face b/c of the shadows and she looks annoyed ;)
5. To me looks like the focus is on the cement edge not on the couple.
6. Hmm, not sure. I kinda like this one except the big red building is distracting.

Good start though!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am off to do some pp work on these photos with some of your suggestions. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!

Anyone else?

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2008 15:26 |  #8

Hello, I see you haven't posted much so welcome to the forums, officially.

I think that these photos so a good creative eye, it's good to see that right off the bat you are looking for cool ways to compose the photos.
What time of the day did you shoot these? It looks like you were battling some pretty mean sun. I generally suggest outdoor shoots be in the last couple of hours before sundown, so you can find more places with softer light.

I think all of the images could stand an unsharp mask to sharpen them up a little bit, particularly after being resized for web viewing. On a full size image I do a defog which is 20%, 60, 0, and then when i resize for web, I do 150%, 0.3, 0.. sometimes I do less than 150%, sometimes more, you have to feel it out for the image, but I find 150% is pretty safe without over sharpening.

Also, watch your white balance. #3 and #5 are very warm. #3 is a little over exposed as well. But it is still my favorite, I love the composition. You may want to clone out that truck in the background thou!

I know these seemed like generic tips but I feel like they applied to almost all your photos. I would say you did really well for a first go, and I think with some tweaking you will have really phenomenal stuff in the near future.

I am super cool n' stuff.
http://www.brandithomp​sonphotography.com (external link)
Like Me On Facebook (external link)

nwagirl
207 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2008 16:41 |  #9

I'm no pro but #3 I think is a cool shot.

http://www.cwest.zenfo​lio.com (external link)

CTScrivener
229 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2008 16:47 |  #10

mrsblondie wrote in post #4878390 (external link)
I don't hate you at all! I absolutely love the feedback!

Your speculation on the mood of the couple is dead on. They asked me to do them, but were both very uncomfortable throughout the day. I did spend a lot of time directing them as they were constantly hiding behind eachother.

Do you have any tips on how to get them relax?

Again, thank you so much for the feedback!

The only thing I can really say is to try joking around with them and goofing off to try to bring out some of thier personality a little more. I don't know if the locations were thier choice or yours but also get with them on places they go to often/like to go (ofcourse if the lighting and layout of the location permits) in hopes that they are more comfortable with the location and will act more....open? themselves?

I really don't know what I'm saying....:D :oops: :cry:

Canon 7D, Canon 580 EX II Flash, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Black Rapid RS-4 w/BRAD

Canon Rebel XT w/BG-E3, Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 [kit lens], Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2008 17:32 |  #11

Hope you don't mind..

IMAGE: http://www.auroraskye.com/photos/POTNedit6.jpg

This really needs to be edited in Lightroom, but I did shadow/highlight and recovered a lot of the blown spots on their faces, it still looks too harsh.. But it looks better.
I also did an USM for web sharpen, I cloned out all the vehicles (sloppily but hey they were in the distance) and I did a color pop action and erased back their faces to keep them looking natural. I also applied a cooling photo filter.

leninglass
Goldmember
1,581 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2008 03:21 |  #12

WOW .. the edit makes all the difference.

but look at his face.. Directing them isn't bad. You just need to joke around with them to get them relaxed.

Canon 5D Mark III x2 - 14mm Mark II f/2.8 L II - 24 L II - 35mm f/1.4 L - 50mm f/1.2 L II - 70-200 f/2.8 L II IS - 100L Macro - 600EX-RT x3
Lenin Glass - One of Oklahoma's Premier Wedding Photographers (external link)

WilliamL
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 09, 2008 06:35 |  #13

On number 3 if you had moved just a little to your right and shot the picture i think you could kept the power line/pole out of the shot. other than that i think they are good...

just me thinking out loud here ... i know you wanted the train rails in the last picture but the big red building in the background takes away from the couple. I know this crop is tight but it keeps the couple at the center of attention.... everyone else may feel differently about it... and welcome to the forumn

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D * 40D/w 24-70 L * 20D*17-85 mm*Canon 100-400L IS *Canon 70-300mm*580EX
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

http://william1956.smu​gmug.com/ (external link)

auroraskye
Goldmember
2,445 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2008 09:29 |  #14

William, I have to disagree. When you crop it down to the couple like that, it becomes pretty boring. If I was going to crop it, I'd crop it to even more move the couple toward the right of the image. It's a good idea for a shot, just needs to bring back some of the blown spots.

mrmarklin
571 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 09, 2008 10:48 |  #15

The rail idea is a good one. Two comments, there is just too much junk in the background of the scene, and I think the rails should go off into the distance as a metaphorical statement. The angle of the shot does not allow it.

Canon EOS 5D also Mk III, 24-70L, 85 IIL, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L, 180 Macro L, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, 100-400 L IS, 8-15 L Fisheye f/4, 16-35 L, 50 L , TS-E 24 L, 600 L, Extender 1.4X & 2X II, Speedlite 580EX x 2, MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite, ST-E2, Angle Finder C, RS-80N3 Remote Switch, Focusing Screen EE-D, BG-E4, Manfrotto 458B Neotec tripodw/Acratech 1155 GP Ballhead.:cool:

sponsored links

2,823 views & 0 likes for this thread
My First E-Pics - Critique More than Welcome!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.