Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2008 (Saturday) 12:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you stach your camera gear?

Denton
96 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 09, 2008 12:16 |  #1

Hi all...
Doing some remodeling...and am looking for some options as to a safe and secure place to stach my camera gear and other valuables when out of town for extended peroids of time....
Some things I am considering....
In floor storage...something like a cooler underneath a hidden lift up floor panel...would place air dryers in the cooler.
In wall storage with hidden panel?
Floor safe?
Gun safe? Am using one of those steel gun cabinents right now...but it is pretty darn obvious....and easy to get into.

Dang.....ran across this...
http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=67JNmaNPf88 (external link)
Two amateur thieves with a crowbar and prybar break into a gun safe in less than 5 minutes!

sponsored links
Kris_2020
516 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 09, 2008 12:18 |  #2

In my closet in the Tamrac Expedition 5 bag

Canon 5D IV | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L Mark 2 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | 580 EX II

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
1,084 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2008 12:20 |  #3

In my flipside 300.

You spelled stash wrong too. Just saying!

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,359 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 09, 2008 12:24 |  #4

Denton wrote in post #4883473 (external link)
Hi all...
Doing some remodeling...and am looking for some options as to a safe and secure place to stach my camera gear and other valuables when out of town for extended peroids of time....
Some things I am considering....
In floor storage...something like a cooler underneath a hidden lift up floor panel...would place air dryers in the cooler.
In wall storage with hidden panel?
Floor safe?
Gun safe? Am using one of those steel gun cabinents right now...but it is pretty darn obvious....and easy to get into.

well that doesn't sound too safe :D!

ed rader

p.s. when i go out of town the camera equipment goes with me.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 09, 2008 12:36 |  #5

Yea! I like the gun safe idea!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

bolantej
Goldmember
3,780 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 09, 2008 13:02 |  #6

just get one of those fire safes for files and bolt it in a closet. No one's gonna take my lightstands and stuff anyway. :)

I take my camera with me on trips also.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,770 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 09, 2008 13:11 |  #7

Document all your gear, fill out the form with your home owners insurance and get them issue a rider covering all your gear. It's not all that expensive and covers theft, fire, and sometimes other things as well.

Then you can just keep it where you keep it now without worry. I would however make sure you have backups of your data stored offsite. It would be horrible to come home, find your PC with all your pics gone.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Eagle
Goldmember
4,374 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 09, 2008 14:56 |  #8

Denton wrote in post #4883473 (external link)

Must be a real cheap piece of sh*t if it's easy to get into.

I store mine in my gun safe, which is bolted to a wall. Hell years ago I had a cheap gun safe I bought at KMart, the house got broke into and they tried to pry it open and failed. Screwed it up pretty good though, It took me about an hour to drill the keyed locks out to get into it. Replaced it with a better one.

Put your Canon in a Cannon (external link)! :cool:

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

cowpix
617 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 09, 2008 15:24 |  #9

gjl711 wrote in post #4883673 (external link)
Document all your gear, fill out the form with your home owners insurance and get them issue a rider covering all your gear. It's not all that expensive and covers theft, fire, and sometimes other things as well.

Then you can just keep it where you keep it now without worry. I would however make sure you have backups of your data stored offsite. It would be horrible to come home, find your PC with all your pics gone.

That would be the correct course of action!

kato1
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 09, 2008 17:09 |  #10

I work in law enforcement in the UK.

As such I would firstly suggest a good home alarm system and decent home contents insurance.

If I really didn't want to take my gear with me I would then look for a location that wouldn't afford a burglar with an easy exit from the property should they be disturbed.

Most don't want to run the risk of being caught in the act and therefore always try and ensure there's more than one way out.

If you have such a place in your home then that's where I would put it. Most places you will have thought about hiding it they will have too. Remember it's their profession. You need to make life as uncomfortable and as compromising for them as you can.

They like soft targets. No alarms etc etc. Don't become one of them!

EOS 40D + BG-E2N, EOS 10D + BG-ED3,
50mm f1.4, 17-40 L f4, 70-200 L f/2.8 IS,
580EX II, 550EX, 420EX,
Manfrotto 055XPro tripod/808RC4 head.
Sekonic L-308s

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 09, 2008 20:38 |  #11

That video is a load of crap and nothing more than a way of saying don't buy cheap safes buy ours.

Like the person that commented last on there, let's see a thief with the same equipment throw down a safe in a small room with the safe in a corner bolted to the floor. My grandfather has his gun safe, but it's in a room smaller than my parents bathroom and a corner of the room.

Given time certain determined people can get into anything.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 10, 2008 00:47 |  #12

Hmm ya it would be harder to get leverage if was standing in a corner but Mythbusters can do anyhting! haha dynamite anyone? :P

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

Jim ­ G
I feel thoroughly satisfied
12,255 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 10, 2008 00:57 |  #13

Hrm. Mine sits on the floor of my room in a variety of camera bags. Were I to leave town for an extended period of time and for some unthinkable reason I didn't have my gear with me I suppose I'd probably drop it off at my parents place.

When I buy a place I'll probably get some sort of small safe to store valuable stuff in but for now.. it's all insured.

Gear Listhttp://www.codastudios​.com.au (external link) Reviews & Hotlinks: Domke F-3x - Pelican 1510/1514 (external link) & 1610/1614 (external link) - DIY Variable Length OC-E3 - Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home (external link) - FA-100 (external link)

gravity
243 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2008 01:45 as a reply to  @ Jim G's post |  #14

You guys really got it easy to be able to store the gears like that. Must be the dryer climate. Over here (BKK) if we're not going to use it for an extended period of time we have to put the gears in the dry cabinet, or the air-tight box w/ silica gel in it. (much more humid around here) ;)

www.500px.com/numphoto​graphy (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​numphotography (external link)

Petepix
295 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 10, 2008 06:12 |  #15

Check out this idea!

https://photography-on-the.net …?t=448550&highl​ight=sears

Nothing wise or clever to enlighten you with!
Gear List
sportsshooter.com/pfru​tkoff

sponsored links

2,386 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where do you stach your camera gear?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.