Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Feb 2008 (Monday) 01:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

No more excuses about high ceilings and bounced flash

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2008 01:03 |  #1

Bored at a theatre rehearsal, I decided to test the limits of bounced flash with my 580EX II.

These guys are on a small platform, on a gym floor, with a white drop ceiling about 26 feet high. Flash was aimed straight up at it. 1/250 f/4 ISO 1600 (which means I could have done it with f/2.8 and ISO 800, or even f/1.4 and ISO 200 if I used a prime and didn't need much DOF).

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/253209427_i6yK6-M.jpg

Now maybe you don't like to shoot at ISO 1600. Get over it. By bouncing flash, you can use a bounce card for a bit of fill and get more pleasing illumination than direct flash, and you have the motion-stopping affect of flash (no worries about motion blur). You can also obliterate the puke-green colored sodium vapor lighting, and you have a bonus with the flash unit's AF assist light.

In case you think the ambient helped me out here, this shot was taken at the same camera settings but no flash.

IMAGE: http://performancephoto.smugmug.com/photos/253209456_MjKmd-M.jpg

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

sponsored links
Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 11, 2008 01:28 |  #2

Was the flash in manual? If so was this 1/1?

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Gallery (external link)
My Gear List

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2008 02:13 |  #3

Yeah it was manual, full power. My intention was to see what it could do.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Franko515
"doped up on pills"
2,478 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 11, 2008 02:47 |  #4

Curtis N wrote in post #4894227 (external link)
Yeah it was manual, full power. My intention was to see what it could do.

Well it sure did light the room up (all the way to the wall)! I'd say you could have even gotten away with a tad less flash. These little speedlites are amazing.

In ten years I can see the Canon 1000EX II, being as poweful as a AB800 :cool:

Light, composition, shooting technique matter to the end quality most. -Pekka
My Flickr Gallery (external link)
My Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2008 02:52 |  #5

Yep. High ceilings and ISO1600 don't skeer me. :cool:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Feb 11, 2008 03:09 |  #6

Did you use a bounce card at all?

regards,
/alan

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 11, 2008 08:20 |  #7

Nice Curtis. I find myself persuading others to crank up the ISO all the time. Too many fear it. I think now that the megapixel race has about run it's course the high ISO/low noise battle is the new war and it's getting quite good. I was shooting theater this weekend, no flash allowed, cranked to ISO 1600 at f/2.8 to get shutter speeds of 1/250 to 1/500 depending on the spots. This was a dress rehearsal and other 'rookies' were shooting as well. I noticed they stopped shooting after about 10 minutes so I went and asked them what the problems was. They said they were not getting anything worth keeping. So i checked out their settings and they were shooting with kit lenses at ISO 400. No wonder. I loaned them a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 85 f/1.8 and set their cameras for aperture priority wide open at ISO 1600 and all of the sudden they were getting great shots! Amazing the gear people buy and then don't know how to use it. They were extremely grateful for my help. They are artistic directors for the ballet company I was shooting so don't really know there way around the camera yet.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 11, 2008 08:27 |  #8

Great demonstration of the power available. I've been a fan of high ISO, even to 3200, for some time now - well, actually since buying the 20D. If you can get the picture properly exposed with high ISO you won't be bothered by the noise all that much.

And Ron - the trick is in the glass you loaned them - about $1300 worth I believe. The kit lens is a great little unit for under $100. Money does buy some happiness in photography.:lol:

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2008 08:40 |  #9

alan_potter wrote in post #4894377 (external link)
Did you use a bounce card at all?

Not for that shot. I was just an exposure test. In a real shoot, I would have.

It's good that you mentioned bounce cards. When the ceiling is that high, it really doesn't take much to throw a significant percentage of the light forward and a bounce card too big will look like direct flash pretty quick. Just the catchlight card on the 580EX is about all it would take for a decent amount of fill.

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2008 08:49 |  #10

Great experminet Curtis, thanks for posting. I'm gonna try this tomorrow in a a gym.

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

telles75
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 11, 2008 08:50 |  #11

Thanks for the posting Curtis. I was shooting at a school gym last week for my daughter talent show. The white ceiling was about 25 to 30 feet high and I used my 580EX II / 40D / 70-200 f/4 L IS. I was shooting at ISO 800 and 1600 (I must admit I am sometimes afraid of the noise at ISO 1600, may be I should get over it) located about 35 feet from the stage; I tried to bounce of the ceiling with very poor results. I was using ETTL and I did not tried to shot manual 1/1, so next time I will try that. Another big mistake I did was shooting at Evaluative metering mode, and I am pretty sure I should have being used spot metering.

Questions for Curtis: What lens were you using? How far were you from the subjects? What metering mode were you using (is this even important since you were shooting with manual setting on flash)?

Thanks

Rafael T.
Nowadays I shoot Nikon, but deep inside I am still a Canon lover... plus Nikonians don't have a cool place to hang like POTN :)
Gear -Model Mayhem -external linkFlickr -external linkWebsiteexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2008 09:02 |  #12

telles75 wrote in post #4895405 (external link)
(I must admit I am sometimes afraid of the noise at ISO 1600, may be I should get over it)

Ain't no maybe about it. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

joeyserver
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2008 09:12 |  #13

Great post Curtis. Really shows what our little guys can do. I'm constantly shooting on high ISOs now since I shoot in a lot of clubs. Nice to know what you can do. Thanks for sharing.

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2008 09:12 |  #14

Telles,

This shot was taken with both the camera and flash in manual mode. Lens was a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 .

But I would not normally use manual flash this sort of shot. When shooting for real, I would have used a small bounce card to get rid of the racoon eyes. Since this would make the flash exposure distance-sensitive, I would use E-TTL.

Whenever you walk into a situation like this, you need to make a decision. You can use a fast shutter speed like I did here to obliterate the ambient and make flash your only significant light source. Or you can try to gel the flash to match the color of the ambient and slow down the shutter to get some ambient exposure, using the flash just as fill. In either case, I would put the camera in manual mode since the ambient level won't change a lot throughout the room.

Mike ­ McCusker
650 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 11, 2008 09:15 |  #15

Curtis,

You are the MAN! Always informative.

20D with grip, 50D,Canon 50mm 1.8II,Canon 18-55,Canon EF 24-105mm IS, Canon 70-200 2,8L, Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 580EX, 430EX, ST-E2

No one goes through life undefeated!

sponsored links

50,249 views & 0 likes for this thread
No more excuses about high ceilings and bounced flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.