Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Oct 2004 (Wednesday) 14:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any exper w Archos Jukebox Recorder for mass storage?

chartbin
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 13, 2004 14:30 |  #1

Any thoughts in using this as a portable mass storage device?

Anyone knows who makes a CF reader for this?

Thanks

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

sponsored links
edsarkiss
156 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 13, 2004 15:20 |  #2

GMini 220

i'm suprised i don't see more attention paid to my 3rd favorite travel companion (after my wife and camera). the Archos GMini 220.

http://www.archos.com …s/overview/gmin​i_220.html (external link)

this is a 20GB music player/recorder with a built in CF reader.

the MP3 player is great for the airplane or in the car on the way to your destination. this thing is small enough to then put it in your camera bag to use to dump the contents of your CF card. you can also view a low-res B&W version of your JPEG (not RAW) files on its screen.

i just got back from 3 weeks in india with it, and it didn't fail me once.

it also has a USB 2.0 connector, so when you hook it up to your computer, it's FAST transferring the data to your main drive.

Belkin makes a CF reader for the IPOD, but it's HUGE -- the IPOD is already larger than the GMini, and their adaptor doubles its size.

chartbin
THREAD ­ STARTER
127 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 13, 2004 16:09 |  #3

Is the 220 worth the extra costs compared to the 120?

I guess the irreplaceable battery was/is a consern as far as I have read

http://m2moi.deviantar​t.com/prints/ (external link):lol:

edsarkiss
156 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 13, 2004 16:33 |  #4

the 220 is much smaller than the 120 (i think it uses a 1.8" HDD vs. a 2.5"). seems that if space is less of a concern and you don't mind the smaller display, then the 120 seems like a good choice.

wolf
738 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 13, 2004 20:07 |  #5

The GMini 220 is small enough to put it in your shirt pocket and the battery life is awesome. You can also get a charger that you plug into your vehicle's cigarette lighter to charge the unit.

I downloaded 5500 images into my 220 over a three week camping trip without a problem. The transfer rate is quite fast from the CF card to the GMini and the also from the GMini to the computer.

Great little unit. Highly recommended.

<> My Gear <>

Adam ­ Hicks
952 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Oct 13, 2004 20:54 |  #6

For those looking at a mass storage device like this, the new iPod 60Gb might be attractive... full color image viewer and lots of space at $499. It doesn't come with a CF reader per se, but neither did the other iPods. You just buy the Belkin card reader.

It should be a pretty neat gadget.

Adam

edsarkiss
156 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Oct 13, 2004 21:40 |  #7

Adam Hicks wrote:
For those looking at a mass storage device like this, the new iPod 60Gb might be attractive... full color image viewer and lots of space at $499. It doesn't come with a CF reader per se, but neither did the other iPods. You just buy the Belkin card reader.

the belkin cardreader is about 1.5x the size of the ipod, and is another $100.

http://catalog.belkin.​com …pcount=&Product​_Id=158350 (external link)

i guess for some, 60GB and a color screen would justify a $600 kit, but personally i'd take the smaller drive and mono display for 1/3 the total size and less than 1/2 the price.

i hear Archos may release a GMini 240 (40GB), and with 1.8" 60GB drives, i wouldn't be suprised to see a GMini 260.

-zs

Kinger
361 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Oct 14, 2004 05:37 |  #8

I have the GMini 400 from Archos and love it. The resolution on the color screen is pretty good, and transfer time is pretty quick. I was able to dump a 512mb CF (Basic level ScanDisk) in less then 2 minutes. I have to CF cards and my GMini, I will never buy another CF card again. (unless I break or lose one)

Stephen King

Drebel, EF 17-40L, EF 50, EF 85, EF 100-400L, 550 EX

http://home.comcast.ne​t/~king247 (external link) (randomly changing)

sponsored links

1,978 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any exper w Archos Jukebox Recorder for mass storage?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.