Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 17:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Classic Lovers !!!

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 21, 2011 00:48 |  #6661

KerriErickson wrote in post #13135866 (external link)
Ok your all killing me here. I am going to ask here...thinking of trading a rebel xti for a 1ds classic.

WOULD YOU ALL DO IT?

Tell me now cuz I have an option right now and neeeeed to know should I do it????

in a heartbeat

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

sponsored links
Steveod
767 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 21, 2011 02:50 |  #6662

KerriErickson wrote in post #13135866 (external link)
Ok your all killing me here. I am going to ask here...thinking of trading a rebel xti for a 1ds classic.

WOULD YOU ALL DO IT?

Tell me now cuz I have an option right now and neeeeed to know should I do it????

I don,t use my XTI much since getting my 1D.The crap long exposure and extra weight, 300-400 shots per battery I can live with when I see the pictures on the screen

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 21, 2011 23:41 |  #6663

Steveod wrote in post #13137877 (external link)
I don,t use my XTI much since getting my 1D.The crap long exposure and extra weight, 300-400 shots per battery I can live with when I see the pictures on the screen

could you elaborate on this gripe? not sure i know what you mean:oops:

Steveod
767 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 22, 2011 01:33 |  #6664

minitrucker wrote in post #13143152 (external link)
could you elaborate on this gripe? not sure i know what you mean:oops:

Hi , what I mean is despite the 1D classic's short comings I still prefer it to using my XTI [400D]. When used in the right conditions the old 1D is such a terrific tool

Steveod:shock: 1D Classic,1Ds, 400D. EOS-1n, EOS-5 Minolta Autocord,Yashica-A,Yashica-mat 66 Yashica-mat 124G ,Rolleicord IV & VB ,Mamiya C3,Mamiya C33, and a heap of other gear I keep collecting and collecting,Hi I am Steve and I am a photoholic http://www.flickr.com/​photos/steveod2007/ (external link)

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2011 18:23 |  #6665

Its just I haven't seen a problem with the long exposures. Given I haven't had the chance to compare the same conditions/composure/l​ength exposure with a newer model. Only film...

Steveod
767 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 24, 2011 21:22 |  #6666

minitrucker wrote in post #13157129 (external link)
Its just I haven't seen a problem with the long exposures. Given I haven't had the chance to compare the same conditions/composure/l​ength exposure with a newer model. Only film...

Try a long exposure at night and anything more than 20 sec will show overheating of the sensor giving a blue tint to the corners of the picture, you will also notice a large increase in undiscovered stars [from dead pixels], if you push the exposure in pp you will notice banding and sometimes you may notice the join where the two CCD sensors meet. For this type of work my 400D or film bodies are the answer.

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 24, 2011 21:51 |  #6667

Like Steve mentioned, banding can be really bad with these sensors. I've got a pic a few pages back that shows what happens when you push exposure in post.

At high ISO or with long exposures, you can run into this banding, as well. I've even had fairly quick shots at ISO 400 or so that have shown the beginnings of banding.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Tadaaa
926 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 24, 2011 23:26 |  #6668

Yeah, this camera really needs good light... Indoors a bounce flash makes all the difference.

- 1D & G9 & Sigma DP1 & Nikon D800 -

Steveod
767 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 25, 2011 03:48 |  #6669

Tadaaa wrote in post #13158303 (external link)
Yeah, this camera really needs good light... Indoors a bounce flash makes all the difference.

Yes I agree ,I use speedlites alot even outdooors, I usually sellect manual dial a reasonable speed and F stop and let the speedlite supply the sunlight very seldom have I experienced banding and the subject is sharp and exposure normally spot on. Love this old camera body and speedlite combo ,

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 25, 2011 16:32 |  #6670

I could've sworn this one was longer than 13s..... good thing for EXIF i guess:oops: Just at 13s though, I can see the corners you are talking about on the top. But, to me at least, even at 400ISO the banding isn't bad in this one.

minitrucker wrote in post #12946545 (external link)
and while I'm here I might as well comment on how great the colors are on this body. Taken in Charleston, SC. I dont remember if the porch light was on..... I dont think so. Lengthy exposure, no post

QUOTED IMAGE

hemmings
455 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 25, 2011 17:11 as a reply to  @ minitrucker's post |  #6671

Couple of straight out of camera jpegs.
Just testing out a Takumar 135mm I got for 20 bucks on the local Craigslist.;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

hemmings
455 posts
Joined May 2009

Sep 25, 2011 17:18 as a reply to  @ hemmings's post |  #6672

As for night shots, this is 21 seconds-Iso200, taken when I first got the 1d to test it out.I believe I cloned out some hot spots/stars etc.
Noise reduction on obviously.;)

HOSTED PHOTO

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 28, 2011 00:39 |  #6673

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pzfnuu16RUA/ToKyieF-cRI/AAAAAAAAA-4/tLl6NwB4fAU/674A6313%252520acid.jpg

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

b_ron
547 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 29, 2011 01:37 |  #6674

the longest exposure that i've used was 1 second... for panning shots haha

| G | F (external link) |

goonico
199 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 29, 2011 11:58 |  #6675

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Camera used: Canon Canon EOS-1D
Focal length: 35.0 mm
Aperture: f/2.2
Exposure time: 1/500
Lens F-Number: f/2.2
ISO: 400

Flickr (external link)
mY bLoG (external link)

sponsored links

1,257,652 views & 35 likes for this thread
-=1D Classic Lovers !!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.