Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Feb 2008 (Sunday) 09:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Carrots are FUN!

meetscriteria
264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2008 09:17 |  #1

Well, this is just for fun.

We just pulled this carrot from our little garden. Always amazing to me you put a seed in the ground, and days later, this is what you get!

My wife was a good sport of course...

Pop up flash on #2 so go easy on me there...

Cheers,

Mike

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i203.photobucke​t.com …eetscriteria/IM​G_6458.jpg (external link)

http://i203.photobucke​t.com …eetscriteria/IM​G_6461.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS 30D, Canon EF 50mm 1:1.4, Tamron SP 20-40mm 1:2.7-3.5, Metz 45 CL-4

sponsored links
seanbaker
227 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 17, 2008 09:50 |  #2

Mike,

#1 is really nice and I like the white borders on each. They might have a bit more impact a little larger, though (it took me a bit to notice them, but they do add some punch to the overall image).

Could you explain #2 for us? I know, go easy, but 30D, ISO 100, 50/1.4 @ f/4? Come to think of it, though, I bet this would look great in BW.

All in all, nicely done.

Sean

Phew, got through that without a single 'Shoot 'Em Up' reference :D:rolleyes::)

Sean Baker

Rhinotherunt
Looking for a Rock
7,129 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 17, 2008 09:57 |  #3

Fun shots...

Ryan McGill
My Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=592450

meetscriteria
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2008 10:55 |  #4

seanbaker wrote in post #4934493 (external link)
Mike,

#1 is really nice and I like the white borders on each. They might have a bit more impact a little larger, though (it took me a bit to notice them, but they do add some punch to the overall image).

Could you explain #2 for us? I know, go easy, but 30D, ISO 100, 50/1.4 @ f/4? Come to think of it, though, I bet this would look great in BW.

All in all, nicely done.

Sean

Phew, got through that without a single 'Shoot 'Em Up' reference :D:rolleyes::)

Hi Sean--

IOW, why did I use f/4? (And how did you see my EXIF data?)

The answer: It was pretty much a quick snap, camera was on the dreaded "P" (at least not green rectangle!)

DOF was so shallow and using aval light couldn't get eyes and carrot in focus. For #1 that worked to my advantage. For #2, I was in a hurry...we were just getting ready to eat lunch, and that carrot was going in the salad! :)

I had never heard of "shoot 'em up". Google answered that for me! WHOA! :lol:

I might give it a go in black and white as you suggested.

Still, if you have some other suggestions as to how it could be better, I am game! If I got cancer, tell me doc! ;)

Cheers

Mike

meetscriteria
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2008 11:16 |  #5

Here is the B&W go:

http://i203.photobucke​t.com …criteria/IMG_64​61copy.jpg (external link)

seanbaker
227 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 17, 2008 12:11 as a reply to  @ meetscriteria's post |  #6

Mike,

As you say, thank goodness you weren't in the green zone - that would be cancerous. 'P' is just more like a benign growth ;-)a.

On to some advice, or at least some opinion. I have come to personally loathe the on-camera flash. That isn't to say it doesn't have it's purpose (it can be bounced, and it can provide fill), but generally I avoid it whenever possible. In this instance, I think your shot would have looked a lot more natural and retained more of the colorful magic which the 50/1.4 gave you in #1 had you simply boosted ISO and left the flash off. Unless I haven't had enough coffee yet today (possible), the difference between f/4 and f/1.6 is around ~2.5 stops. I.e., boosting ISO to 400-500 would have given you the same shutter speed and depth of focus while still remaining well within the 30D's acceptable noise range and not employing the dreaded on-camera flash.

None of that is meant as criticism, of course, as you've posted two lovely photos. Mine is simply a stylistic suggestion for consideration.

Sean

Sean Baker

seanbaker
227 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 17, 2008 12:14 as a reply to  @ seanbaker's post |  #7

Also:

Nice job on the B&W.

And as for the EXIF, I use: Exif Viewer (external link), an addon for Firefox which provides EXIF-viewing capacity without leaving the browser. Very handy around here.

Sean

Sean Baker

meetscriteria
THREAD ­ STARTER
264 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2008 12:26 |  #8

seanbaker wrote in post #4935107 (external link)
Mike,

As you say, thank goodness you weren't in the green zone - that would be cancerous. 'P' is just more like a benign growth ;-)a.

On to some advice, or at least some opinion. I have come to personally loathe the on-camera flash. That isn't to say it doesn't have it's purpose (it can be bounced, and it can provide fill), but generally I avoid it whenever possible. In this instance, I think your shot would have looked a lot more natural and retained more of the colorful magic which the 50/1.4 gave you in #1 had you simply boosted ISO and left the flash off. Unless I haven't had enough coffee yet today (possible), the difference between f/4 and f/1.6 is around ~2.5 stops. I.e., boosting ISO to 400-500 would have given you the same shutter speed and depth of focus while still remaining well within the 30D's acceptable noise range and not employing the dreaded on-camera flash.

None of that is meant as criticism, of course, as you've posted two lovely photos. Mine is simply a stylistic suggestion for consideration.

Sean

No, not at all! That is excellent! A boost in ISO would have fixed the issue. It would have been just as quick to boost ISO as push the pop up flash button. Come to think about it...I was fumbling with that, because I rarely use the pop-up flash.

I appreciate your fine "bed-side manner"! ;)

seanbaker wrote in post #4935125 (external link)
Also:

Nice job on the B&W.

And as for the EXIF, I use: Exif Viewer (external link), an addon for Firefox which provides EXIF-viewing capacity without leaving the browser. Very handy around here.

Sean

Sweet! I'll check it out!

Thank you again!

Cheers,

Mike

sponsored links

1,075 views & 0 likes for this thread
Carrots are FUN!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.