Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Feb 2008 (Monday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do I get my 430EX to not switch off automatically?

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 17:01 |  #1

Ok I hope this isn't idiotic of me to ask, but how the heck do I make my 430EX not turn off automatically?

Now before I get told to RTFM, I did, and I set custom function 1 to 1, which is supposed to disable auto-off.

BUT, I use my 430EX off-camera via gadget infinity poverty wizards and the damn thing still turns of automatically after a certain period of time. What's the deal?

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links
nursek
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 18, 2008 17:10 |  #2

this happens to me too, it's frustating because you gotta keep pressing the pilot button to turn it on again. i would like to know if there's a solution to this also :)

Specializing in newborns, children & family portraitures
Please LIKE my facebook page! https://www.facebook.c​om/cathykamphotography (external link)

Check out my BLOG! http://www.cathykampho​tography.com (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 18, 2008 17:47 |  #3

Cfn 01 set to 1

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 18:10 |  #4

Titus213 wrote in post #4944002 (external link)
Cfn 01 set to 1

Did you read my OP? I did that already and it still shuts off automatically.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 18, 2008 18:58 |  #5

Perryge, that's the way I set mine and it worked perfect...won't turn off. I used it for more than an hour with the Skyports (and previously with ebay triggers) with no problem.

If that is the way you have yours set, I don't have any idea what might cause it.
Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 19:04 |  #6

Yeah that's how it should work, isn't it?

I haven't had any problems with this flash before, it's worked perfectly.

I am confused. ???

pyterps
640 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 18, 2008 19:13 |  #7

It's in the CF of the flash. I just set my 580EX and 580EXII about a month ago to not turn off and it works with no issues.

Dave

1DS MK III, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Canon 24-70 F2.8L, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 1.4 TC, Canon 580 EX, and lots of other stuff.

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 19:33 |  #8

pyterps wrote in post #4944585 (external link)
It's in the CF of the flash. I just set my 580EX and 580EXII about a month ago to not turn off and it works with no issues.

Dave

Right, I know that, and I've said, twice now, that I have changed that custom function!

It still turns off...

joruiz
Goldmember
1,613 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 18, 2008 21:36 |  #9

strange. Mine keeps going after setting C.Fn 1 to 1... hmmm, that's a strange failure.

Cantisani
my facebook profile (external link) |

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 18, 2008 21:50 |  #10

perryge wrote in post #4944182 (external link)
Did you read my OP? I did that already and it still shuts off automatically.

It's the only way I know how to do it....no matter what your OP said.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 21:52 |  #11

Ok I must be doing something really horribly stupid. It wouldn't have anything to do with being mounted on the gadget infinity triggers would it? It still seems to do it on the hot-shoe...

And yes, custom function 1 is set to 1.

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 18, 2008 22:23 |  #12

perryge wrote in post #4943706 (external link)
BUT, I use my 430EX off-camera via gadget infinity poverty wizards and the damn thing still turns of automatically after a certain period of time. What's the deal?

I do not have the 430EX with me to test it now, but Custom function 02 ‘Slave unit’s auto power off time may help if set to:
0 – Auto power off after 60 min.

at least it is better than

1 – Auto power off after 10 min.

By the way, somebody knows if there is a real .pdf manual for the 430EX?
I think I downloaded mine from Canon, but each page is a picture of the printed manual and you can not search the words. :evil:

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 22:29 |  #13

rpolitsr wrote in post #4945961 (external link)
I do not have the 430EX with me to test it now, but Custom function 02 ‘Slave unit’s auto power off time may help if set to:
0 – Auto power off after 60 min.

at least it is better than

1 – Auto power off after 10 min.

By the way, somebody knows if there is a real .pdf manual for the 430EX?
I think I downloaded mine from Canon, but each page is a picture of the printed manual and you can not search the words. :evil:

Hmm...

Cfn 2 is set to 0, that's the default, but I don't need to set it to slave mode when using the poverty wizards anyway.

joruiz
Goldmember
1,613 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 18, 2008 22:29 |  #14

perryge wrote in post #4945761 (external link)
Ok I must be doing something really horribly stupid. It wouldn't have anything to do with being mounted on the gadget infinity triggers would it? It still seems to do it on the hot-shoe...

And yes, custom function 1 is set to 1.

I use it with the Cactus trigger V2 and it keeps going just fine. I don't think it matters if you use it with any trigger, or on camera, or on the canon mini stand that comes with the flash. It keeps going for me in any situation (but I will make some tests to be sure).

Cantisani
my facebook profile (external link) |

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2008 23:55 |  #15

Whaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttt​t surely my flash can't possibly have a custom function that doesn't work? That'd just be absurd...

sponsored links

69,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do I get my 430EX to not switch off automatically?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.