Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 06:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lunar Eclipse - what did i do wrong?

hudsonp
300 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 21, 2008 06:52 |  #1

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …5/hudsonp/eclip​semoon.jpg (external link)

1/2 second
f/5.6
ISO 400
135MM
tripod
remote trigger

I only have the 28-135 lens, but that doesn't tell me why i didn't get the clarity. what did i do wrong?

This was the only "decent" shot that I got before the clouds started rolling over and i got too cold (North East Ohio)

40d, 50mm 1.8, 28-135mm, sigma 105mm f2.8 macro, 430ex - still dreaming about the 70-200 2.8
check out my 365 self challenge - 365 (external link)

sponsored links
akprice
614 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 21, 2008 08:15 |  #2

shutter speed is too slow. the moon is moving and at 1/2 sec you will get some blurriness to it. i would have bumped up the iso to get a faster ss. great try though. still a good image.

Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 F/4.0 L | Nifty Fifty
aaron k price
artist
| graphic designer | photographer
flickr (external link)

hudsonp
THREAD ­ STARTER
300 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 21, 2008 08:21 as a reply to  @ akprice's post |  #3

so maybe around 1/125th? or faster? ISO around 400?

thanks for the input

40d, 50mm 1.8, 28-135mm, sigma 105mm f2.8 macro, 430ex - still dreaming about the 70-200 2.8
check out my 365 self challenge - 365 (external link)

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 21, 2008 08:34 |  #4

I personally think your shot looks good for 135mm. I took a few in East Tn with a Sigma 300mm. I don't think your shutter speed was a problem. I just think thats an actual size and you need more zoom for more detail. My shots are no better.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Here's about 6 shots combined at 300mm.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

roach
125 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 21, 2008 09:09 |  #5

I have the same Lens and this is all the detail I got.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i116.photobucke​t.com …_photo/EclipseC​loseup.jpg (external link)

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

Richtherookie
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 21, 2008 09:14 |  #6

Hudsonp,
I also got shots that turned out like yours, Good but not good enough to make me jump for joy. I was doing this: tripod, remote release, mirror lock up, F/2.8, 200mm, 1.7x, ISO400, IS on and in mode 1, EXIF shows 1/8th but i was sure it was more like 1/400th. and this is what i got, oh ya and some frost bite.

No PP done, this is right of the card. I'd also like some pointers.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 40D, Rebel XT, Kit lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 50mm F/1.8II, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.ne​t (external link)

whowie
307 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 21, 2008 09:35 |  #7

[QUOTE=hudsonp;4963121​]

1/2 second
f/5.6
ISO 400
135MM
tripod
remote trigger

I only have the 28-135 lens, but that doesn't tell me why i didn't get the clarity. what did i do wrong?
quote]

Your image looks reasonably good to me. The "clarity" as such is affected by many parameters:- dust in the atmosphere, moisture in the atmosphere, how much atmosphere you have to look through to see an object, etc. Astronomers use terms like "Seeing" and "Transparency" to describe these phenomena. Check out the Clear Sky Clock (external link) for a complete description.

Also, a reasonable guide to shooting the moon can be found at: - http://home.hiwaay.net …moon/howtophoto​/index.htm (external link)

http://www.flickr.com/​wesleyhowie (external link)
Canon EOS 70 D, Canon EOS 30D,150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD SP, assorted lenses, flashes, filters, bags, tripods, some film gear, etc. etc.

61ache
330 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2008 11:02 |  #8

roach wrote in post #4963710 (external link)
I have the same Lens and this is all the detail I got.

QUOTED IMAGE

I've read that image stabilization can actually hamper night shots. Could this be part of the issue?

/Canon 50D/EF 50mm f1.4 USM/EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5/EF 85mm f1.8/

roach
125 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2008 12:18 |  #9

61ache wrote in post #4971698 (external link)
I've read that image stabilization can actually hamper night shots. Could this be part of the issue?

Not sure, I think it as to do more with the range of the lens but I'm no expert so I can't really say.

When you photograph people in colour you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in B&W, you photograph their souls! ~Ted Grant

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 22, 2008 12:21 |  #10

I had everything ready to go, but it was so cold and my remote didn't work right, so I had done the timer, etc. I did everything I did before, but I think it was me shaking from the cold. :( I got similar results.

I'm going to set up in a different place, have my 5D this time instead of the 40D and use the extender and the 70-200 is. The f4 didn't work right this time. So, it's never perfect, just keep trying new things. Your shots aren't that bad. The moon's really far away.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

whowie
307 posts
Joined May 2004

Feb 22, 2008 13:11 |  #11

61ache wrote in post #4971698 (external link)

Shouldn't make a difference. Check here for shots of the moon/eclipse taken with the Canon 75-300mm IS lens:-

http://www.lightimages​.org (external link)

Look in the "Astronomy" or "Moon" folders.

http://www.flickr.com/​wesleyhowie (external link)
Canon EOS 70 D, Canon EOS 30D,150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD SP, assorted lenses, flashes, filters, bags, tripods, some film gear, etc. etc.

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 22, 2008 13:43 |  #12

Richtherookie wrote in post #4963737 (external link)
Hudsonp,
I also got shots that turned out like yours, Good but not good enough to make me jump for joy. I was doing this: tripod, remote release, mirror lock up, F/2.8, 200mm, 1.7x, ISO400, IS on and in mode 1, EXIF shows 1/8th but i was sure it was more like 1/400th. and this is what i got, oh ya and some frost bite.

No PP done, this is right of the card. I'd also like some pointers.

What does this look like at actual size? That lens should be sharp enough to use a 100% crop shouldnt it?

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 22, 2008 14:22 |  #13

You didn't do anything wrong. You did the best you could with the equipment you had.

Shooting a full moon in a clear sky isn't so hard. It's very bright so you can use ISO 100, f/11 and 1/100 shutter speed to get a nice, clean shot.

The moon in eclipse is so much darker you need to compromise everywhere to get decent exposure. A higher ISO, wide-open lens and a slow shutter speed mean digital noise, softness and a small amount of motion blur.

Photography is recording light. If there's very litle light to record, the IQ will suffer. Simple as that.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Richtherookie
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 25, 2008 09:09 |  #14

Stump wrote in post #4972803 (external link)
What does this look like at actual size? That lens should be sharp enough to use a 100% crop shouldnt it?

This is the complete shot. no cropping done. All i did was change the file size so the web site would take it. I am no good in the computer so for touching up and things like that i don't do much of it.

Canon 40D, Rebel XT, Kit lens, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, 50mm F/1.8II, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS USM

Trained to survive, willing not to.
www.haysphotography.ne​t (external link)

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2008 18:20 |  #15

Richtherookie wrote in post #4990655 (external link)
This is the complete shot. no cropping done. All i did was change the file size so the web site would take it. I am no good in the computer so for touching up and things like that i don't do much of it.

Thats what i meant, If you could use it at actual size then it would be a lot bigger. Not sure if that lens has the IQ for that or not. I know my Sigma doesnt.

sponsored links

2,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lunar Eclipse - what did i do wrong?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.