Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 21 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 21:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Skiing, GS

aussieskier
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2008 21:04 |  #1

Here are a few shots from a HS GS race I shot last weekend.

Comments and critiques welcome (as always)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/Aussieskier/RB​_-0191.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://img.photobucket​.com …/Aussieskier/RB​_-0341.jpg (external link)

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

sponsored links
SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Location: Swimming, cycling or running ... somewhere in California

Feb 21, 2008 23:04 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Shot # 1 is AWESOME!!!
I used to ski giant slalom about 25 years ago, and that picture just brought back all those memories. ... WOW, you did a great job. I can feel the "edgy" fear/adrenaline I used to get when I (stupidly) pushed the straights and then hoped that my edges would bight the curves.

Yikes!!! Like I said, # 1 is fantastic. I can actually feel it!!;)

Boy did I do stupid stuff when I was younger!!!

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 21, 2008 23:07 as a reply to  @ SilverHCIC's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

... You really did a great job. I had to take another look. The expression in both of their faces is priceless!!! I know EXACTLY what they were thinking: "Oh, god, PLEASE BIGHT!!! ..."

Nice capture!!;)

"It's easy to find your bike in transition when you're the last one out of the ocean ... it's no fun being lost at sea :rolleyes:."

aussieskier
THREAD ­ STARTER
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 21, 2008 23:09 |  #4

SilverHCIC wrote in post #4969040 (external link)
Shot # 1 is AWESOME!!!
I used to ski giant slalom about 25 years ago, and that picture just brought back all those memories. ... WOW, you did a great job. I can feel the "edgy" fear/adrenaline I used to get when I (stupidly) pushed the straights and then hoped that my edges would bight the curves.

Yikes!!! Like I said, # 1 is fantastic. I can actually feel it!!;)

Boy did I do stupid stuff when I was younger!!!

Glad you liked it! Bet you wish you had some of the skis around now, back in the day :). I once skied some 210s that were about 15 years old, those things were crazy considering I am used to the cut skis :lol:.

That shot is at the top of the steepest part of the course that is renowned for being icy (this year it wasn't), usually you hear a few choice words as people come around that gate and try to bit in the ice.:lol:

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

barmajan
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 21, 2008 23:39 |  #5

wow,

nice shots, I like both of them

nice colors, good work

ألعاب طبخ (external link) | ألعاب (external link) | موقع (external link)

nicmo
413 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:05 |  #6

Excellent pics!

--Aaron
Aaron Callanta Photography (external link)
SportsShooter Page (external link) | MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2008 00:08 as a reply to  @ barmajan's post |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

OK, I'm giving away may age now, because you can tell by the model of my skis ... I used to ski GS on 203mm Pre 1600GSP's. I had 3 pair. Regardless of conditions, I would hone the edges with a pocket-sized diamond impregnated sharpening "stone" so sharp that I used to accidentally slice my gloves. ... And I would still push the straights so hard that if I got even the slightest chatter on an icy curve I was practically peeing in my pants for a bite at the gates.

I LOVE the expression on their faces!!!

aussieskier
THREAD ­ STARTER
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:12 |  #8

SilverHCIC wrote in post #4969387 (external link)
OK, I'm giving away may age now, because you can tell by the model of my skis ... I used to ski GS on 203mm Pre 1600GSP's. I had 3 pair. Regardless of conditions, I would hone the edges with a pocket-sized diamond impregnated sharpening "stone" so sharp that I used to accidentally slice my gloves. ... And I would still push the straights so hard that if I got even the slightest chatter on an icy curve I was practically peeing in my pants for a bite at the gates.

I LOVE the expression on their faces!!!

My brother just cut himself through his pants on the edges of his GS skis tonight at practice.

That said, the quality of the racer really helps the quality of the picture... but I love the face on this one...

http://img.photobucket​.com …/Aussieskier/RB​_-0312.jpg (external link)

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

aussieskier
THREAD ­ STARTER
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:14 |  #9

barmajan wrote in post #4969279 (external link)
wow,

nice shots, I like both of them

nice colors, good work

nicmo wrote in post #4969377 (external link)
Excellent pics!

Thanks! I couldn't have asked for better light :).

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2008 00:16 as a reply to  @ SilverHCIC's post |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

BTW - I see you're from Oregon. ... Back in the day (25 years ago???) I skied Bachelor & Hood a few times. Each time, the wind was terrible!! The ice crystals would blow right into your face and sting like bees.

... I used that as an excuse for poor finishes:rolleyes:. LOL. I haven't raced in years. And like you said, cut skis make a world of difference!!! You can practically read the Wall Street Journal and drink a capuccino while turning on skis these days!! Way too much technology; where's the challenge of that?? -- My youngest daughter (teenager) has me up on a snow board now. Boy, do I feel old!!:rolleyes:

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,033 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:18 |  #11

Once again, Riley....AWESOME work!!

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

aussieskier
THREAD ­ STARTER
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:20 |  #12

SilverHCIC wrote in post #4969424 (external link)
BTW - I see you're from Oregon. ... Back in the day (25 years ago???) I skied Bachelor & Hood a few times. Each time, the wind was terrible!! The ice crystals would blow right into your face and sting like bees.

... I used that as an excuse for poor finishes:rolleyes:. LOL. I haven't raced in years. And like you said, cut skis make a world of difference!!! You can practically read the Wall Street Journal and drink a capuccino while turning on skis these days!! Way too much technology; where's the challenge of that?? -- My youngest daughter (teenager) has me up on a snow board now. Boy, do I feel old!!:rolleyes:

All these are from Hood, we got a great break in the weather for an amazing and rare day.

I skied Bachelor a couple years ago when it was 10 degrees in the parking lot and really windy. One of the lift booths said it was -35 degree windchill or colder, not a lot of fun.

Tech is sweet :). I like my brother's 152 Pin Tail Slalom skis, I swear they read my mind when I turn.

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

aussieskier
THREAD ­ STARTER
just that stupid?
10,608 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 00:20 |  #13

Maureen Souza wrote in post #4969436 (external link)
Once again, Riley....AWESOME work!!

Thanks Mo!

Riley
Gear list
"Keepin' it rural"
In yeast we trust...

SilverHCIC
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2008 00:22 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

aussieskier wrote in post #4969405 (external link)
My brother just cut himself through his pants on the edges of his GS skis tonight at practice.

That said, the quality of the racer really helps the quality of the picture... but I love the face on this one...

IMAGE NOT FOUND PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.

http://img.photobucket​.com …/Aussieskier/RB​_-0312.jpg (external link)

Now that is FUNNY!!! I am actually laughing out loud!!! I am glad NOBODY took pictures of me when I used to race, because I would have the same expression (only worse!!!). This is the BEST post I have seen on the forum so far. Absolutely hilarious!!! And your pics are truly fantastic!! Nice job.

Oh, my kids have been looking over my shoulder while I've been typing, and they are making fun of me. They say I still make those faces when I race. -- I am a triathlete, and they have mercilessly reminded me that I look like crap when I drag myself out of the ocean.:evil:

cstewart
Goldmember
1,866 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2008 01:06 |  #15

Riley:

Last image posted is great! I'd be curious to know what your exposure settings were on that one and what PP you had to do if any. I shot some stuff at a ski resort a couple weeks ago and all were way too dark as I did not compensate enough for all the white!

Cheers!

Chris

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports News (external link) -- Sports Shooter (external link) --Web Site (external link) -- Facebook (external link) -- iStockphoto.com (external link)--Twitter (external link)
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links

1,880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Skiing, GS
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.