Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 02:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Manfrotto Strap

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2008 02:03 |  #1

i know i covered this in my purchase thread a while back, but for those of you who bought the 055XPROB or a similar model, what does the connecting piece on the bottom look like? if anyone could include a picture of how it attaches, i'd really appreciate it. i bought a utility strap that i think would work great to carry this around, but i'm going to the hardware store soon and i wanted to know what i should purchase to mcgyver it together. i attached the top of the strap to the plastic at the top, but i don't know how large, or what shape ring people use to secure the bottom of the strap to the legs. any help is appreciated. =)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 22, 2008 05:54 |  #2

alt4852 wrote in post #4969817 (external link)
i know i covered this in my purchase thread a while back, but for those of you who bought the 055XPROB or a similar model, what does the connecting piece on the bottom look like? if anyone could include a picture of how it attaches, i'd really appreciate it. i bought a utility strap that i think would work great to carry this around, but i'm going to the hardware store soon and i wanted to know what i should purchase to mcgyver it together. i attached the top of the strap to the plastic at the top, but i don't know how large, or what shape ring people use to secure the bottom of the strap to the legs. any help is appreciated. =)

This is the Manfrotto strap that I use (external link). The top of the strap connects to the hub of the tripod via a provided adapter and the bottom of the strap forms a loop that just snugs around the lower end of all three legs.

Making the adapter piece that screws into the hub of the tripod is not something I would consider easy to do in the typical home shop. You'd need a lathe to make the threaded part and additional tooling to make the swivelling eye part.

My suggestion - just buy the Manfrotto strap. It's well worth the price.

Of course, if you want to make something that costs next to nothing, just tie the two ends of a rope to the tripod :p.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 22, 2008 05:56 |  #3

All I've used is a short length of braided 10-12mm Dia Polyester rope, to which at one end has been sewn in a loop of very strong 5mm Dia braided cord which I loop through the plastic eye on the tripod head and feed the other end of the rope through to secure that end. At the other end I've spliced in a plastic hook (a better job would be a proper little carabiner, but I had this kit sat in my shed), this clips to the bottom end of the centre column.

It looks very professional all in black, but is not adjustable, so slinging over the shoulder one minute and hand carrying the next is awkward. I've chosen to size it for hand carrying so its a short strop.

Having an agjustable webbing strop instead of my rope, using the same methods of attaching, should work. You would need some kind of D ring at each end of the webbing I'd imagine.

Richard

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2008 09:24 |  #4

Ill second the Manfrotto Shoulder Strap:

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/5285.jpg

I bought one for my 055XPROB legs and like it for when I dont want to carry my tripod in tne case. The only thing that slightly bothered me about it was that when I have my 410 geared head on the tripod its very tall and heavy and since the strap connects under the head when carrying it on your shoulder it feels top heavy and almost like you want to carry it with the head of the tripod toward the ground. This is just an issue with taller and larger heads as with my 488RC4 head on there it doesnt feel that bad. Just something to think about.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

aridan
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Feb 22, 2008 10:27 |  #5

I'm sure the strap is nice but I can't bring myself to spend $30 + S&H for a piece of strap with a logo it. :(

My opinion may change in the near future though... ;)

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 11:06 |  #6

SkipD wrote in post #4970282 (external link)
This is the Manfrotto strap that I use (external link). The top of the strap connects to the hub of the tripod via a provided adapter and the bottom of the strap forms a loop that just snugs around the lower end of all three legs..

What I did with my strap is to put the bottom of the strap around a SINGLE leg, then I use a hook and look strap on the same leg to wrap around the other two legs to keep all three closed up. Easy to release the hook and loop strap to open the legs when setting up, but the lower end of the carry strap is still attached to one leg rather than dangling down onto the dirt or sand or mud! MUCH more efficient than always having to take time to detach the lower end of the strap and reattach the lower end of the strap. Then use the hook and loop to keep the legs together again as you walk to your next vantage point for another shot.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

alt4852
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2008 12:10 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #7

thanks for all the replies. in the file photo of the manfrotto strap, where do those two metal eye rings attach? i've been trying so hard to find a way to fashion a hook or ring to the bottom of a leg so i could anchor down the bottom of my strap.

i esentially bought this: http://www.tiffen.com …ame=domke&itemn​um=745-1BK (external link)

i really like the fact that it's all black, very well made, and usable to carry other things. i just can't find a way to attach it to the bottom of a tripod leg. =/

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 22, 2008 13:14 |  #8

alt4852 wrote in post #4972160 (external link)
thanks for all the replies. in the file photo of the manfrotto strap, where do those two metal eye rings attach? i've been trying so hard to find a way to fashion a hook or ring to the bottom of a leg so i could anchor down the bottom of my strap.

i esentially bought this: http://www.tiffen.com …ame=domke&itemn​um=745-1BK (external link)

i really like the fact that it's all black, very well made, and usable to carry other things. i just can't find a way to attach it to the bottom of a tripod leg. =/

You do not use them with the 055XPROB legs. They are for different tripod legs. Also I forgot to mention before the strap has a really nice grippy rubber on the bottom of it so it will not slide off your shoulder and it works very well.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,890 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 22, 2008 14:48 |  #9

alt4852 wrote in post #4972160 (external link)

Don't use them. Instead, pull a loop of the thinner web strap thru the D ring on the end, then put that sliploop over one or all of the legs.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 22, 2008 15:02 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

I bought one of these (external link) after seeing someone with one. It is useable with tripods other than Manfrotto (mine's a Giottos) and is very comfortable. The tripod can be used without removing it from the strap.

John

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 22, 2008 16:25 |  #11

Another vote for the Manfrotto strap. I use it and like it. Doesn't slip off my shoulder which is the best part.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

sponsored links

2,500 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manfrotto Strap
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.