Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 12:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling JPG files?

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2008 12:35 |  #1

I have a web page (zenfolio) with local HS sports pics. Two customers have asked about buying JPG files. I think it is something I should support but wonder about pricing & pitfalls. Currently, my rather low pricing is:

4x6 - $2
5x7 - $7
8x10 - $10

I'm thinking of pricing JPGs at $15 and offering a credit for any print ordered from the same image. Buy a 4x6 for $2 and get the JPG for $13. Buy an 8x10 for $10 and the JPG is $5.

My customers are pretty much parents of the players. Each shot, therefore has a very small market. If the folks don't buy them, they don't sell. Also, I live in a very small town and everyone knows everyone, and nobody is willing to pay much for anything. Since I know these kids and their parents, I'd rather they get the images than not. I'd prefer to sell stuff cheap rather than raise the price and have fewer high dollar sales.

What would you advise?

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2008 15:11 |  #2

Low-res, or high-res?

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2008 16:47 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #3

hi-res. These would be for screen backgrounds, local printing, sending to friends & family. You know, all of those backdoor thing we're afraid people will do if they get or digital images. Basically, I figure by selling the JPG, I'm giving up any future print sales from that image.

Each of my images has a very small target audience (the family) so I'm not really giving up a lot of business by "giving" them the JPG.

- Keith

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2008 19:59 |  #4

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't low-res work fine for video-type viewing?

I was thinking along the same lines... possibly offering low-res photos in addition to prints just in case wanted to spend a few bucks for a screen saver or digital photo frame, or whatever. Hoping, of course, that a low-res file would be fine for video but not for trying to get prints on the cheap.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 22, 2008 22:20 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #5

Well, that's a good thought. For the screen, something 1600 pixels wide would be enough. Of course, that is also enough for a 6" wide print at 250 per inch, and I supponse it could be stretched to 7" for a 5x7 or maybe even 10" to make an 8x10.

I check with Zenfolio. They currently do not support downloads for sale, but are planning to sometime in the future. I hope it's soon.

- Keith -

- Keith

CanonXTuser
648 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 23, 2008 03:10 |  #6

n1as wrote in post #4974039 (external link)
hi-res. These would be for screen backgrounds, local printing, sending to friends & family. You know, all of those backdoor thing we're afraid people will do if they get or digital images. Basically, I figure by selling the JPG, I'm giving up any future print sales from that image.

Each of my images has a very small target audience (the family) so I'm not really giving up a lot of business by "giving" them the JPG.

You might be surprised at the repeat business you get. Course people could buy a print and scan it anyways.

If I was you, I would either only do web size versions as in 640x480 or make an incentive deal that if they buy so many prints you will throw in a jpg or two.

Now Canon 30D user [previous used XT, XTi, and Rebel]
http://www.concertphot​ozine.com (external link) - "I make your crappy band look good"

TroyRaymond
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2008 23:56 as a reply to  @ CanonXTuser's post |  #7

I live in a similar situation (cheap small town) although I don't shoot sports.

There is a photographer in a neighboring village that does the local school photo's, she offers a cd for $30 of an image or two with a copyright release so you can have it printed at places like walmart. That's what I always purchase, I feel lucky to have it. My oldest daughter did not have that option and we only have a few faded photos left with no option of reprint. We would have no idea who to even contact.

If its an image that means something to them and nothing to you... Personally I'd consider some type of option where you could both profit. Memories to last forever and a few more bucks in your pocket. Possible more sales too.

Something I've been pondering.

You shouldnt consider it only a jpg. Treat the image as an image whether printed or digital form.

Troy

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 26, 2008 11:22 |  #8

n1as wrote in post #4972351 (external link)
What would you advise?

First off, raise the prices of your prints! You are doing yourself a disservice by only charging $2 for a 4x6.

Crank the 4x6 up to $7 or $8, up the 5x7 and 8x10 as well.

Price a high-resolution .JPG at least double your 8x10 print price.

Dave Hoffmann

sponsored links

3,322 views & 0 likes for this thread
Selling JPG files?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.