Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 24 Feb 2008 (Sunday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Greensboro Arenacross (or lack thereof...)

MotoXPunk481
159 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2008 08:43 |  #1

Last night, my brother and I went to the arenacross race at Greensboro Coliseum hoping to get some great shots throughtout the evening. But when we got there, the people at the gate refused to let us in with our cameras since they claim "no professional cameras are allowed". Now the 2 of us shoot with gripped Digital Rebel XTs. He had a small shoulder bag only big enough for his kit lens and my small Sigma 70-300. Understandibly that it would raise eyebrows, I had my 70-200 2.8L IS and my 24-70L in my small Canon backpack. Obviously upset without any justification for the rejection, I asked "What do you consider a 'Professional camera'"? To which the oblivious lady summoned for another gentleman whose only explanation was that MY equipment was considered a "professional camera". I explained that I am NOT a professional photographer and was only there to capture shots like everyone else from my seat, but to no avail. I left it at that and did not cause a fuss over it since I was also there as a motocross enthusiast to watch the race. But when we returned from the car I took note that there was no posted limitations to photography equipment. The only re-itteration I saw or heard was no smoking, no laser pointers, and no video recording equipment (all of which I saw several samples of throughout the evening... so much for thoroughness or consistency). Even on the event ticket itself the only limitation stated, "No video recording equipment permitted". On top of that, once in the complex, I saw a half-a-dozen people with DSLRs like my own (i.e. D Rebels, D40s, etc.) walking about. I was also there about 8 months ago for a freestyle motocross event without my L's (but with my older Sigma lenses and same body/grip) and was given no trouble at all.

I'm sure all of you have run into similar scenarios at events of this nature and am just curious to know what type of questions I should ask next time I'm refused admission in this manor or if I have any justifiable rebuttal to the rejection. It just angers me to see venues and event promoters vilify people who are there to do no harm with no justifiable reason.

Sorry for the rant, but what do you guys do in situations like this?

-MXP

(2X) Canon EOS 5DII | Canon EOS 5D w/ Grip | Canon EOS 40D w/ Grip | Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ Grip | 16-35 2.8L II | (2X) 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L | 24 1.4L II | 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS | 100 2.8 macro | (3X) 580EX II

North Carolina Wedding Photography (external link)

cedew
339 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 24, 2008 12:54 |  #2

I went to the Sacramento Arenacross last night, and was curious about the same thing. I was interested in some wide angle shooting so I brought my filmy eos 620(20d size) with my Sigma 15mm fisheye(kit lens size). It was raining and I didn't bring a bag, so I wedged it in my sweatshirt pocket. When I walked up to the metal wand guy, I pointed to the giant bulge in my pocket and said "camera". He ran the wand over it, it beeped, and let me go. I thought that was funny, could have packed two hand grenades in there, he wouldn't have known the difference.

Anyway, I had considered bringing my good stuff, and just like you said, all it says is "no video recording equipment permitted". There is a wide range of personality types. If someone tells you no, just walk to another entrance, someone else will probably let you by. If that doesn't work, I would escalate it as far as need be. My main objective would be for them to show me some document that says I can't bring my camera inside, otherwise it's just a bunch of idiots making up their own rules. Climb the supervisor ladder, take up a bunch of time so traffic backs up behind you, and the someone will probably let you by.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
Greensboro Arenacross (or lack thereof...)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.