Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 27 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 01:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your Pelican Case distribution Photos !!

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 14, 2011 20:39 |  #286

My updated strobist case

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

toys list

sponsored links
Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 15, 2011 00:12 as a reply to  @ photopat's post |  #287

You guys have some really nice transport methods. I have two cases, one a Pelican 1510 & the other a large Stormcase.

The problem I have is the larger one being overweight .... which means another $50 more in most flights. When traveling with a backpack & surfboard, I have no spare hands to carry anything else but those two cases.
Anyone have a solution to the added charges of overweight luggage .... short of leaving some gear I might need at home? :confused:

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

photopat
569 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 15, 2011 07:28 |  #288

Mark II wrote in post #11644217 (external link)
Anyone have a solution to the added charges of overweight luggage ....

That's the problem with the Pelican case with dividers. Empty they are already over the weight limit...

They are great tools for traveling by ground transportation, but by air you'll pay the price.

toys list

tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 17, 2011 00:09 |  #289

Has anyone ever used the 1770 for light stands/tripods and monolights? I know it's kind of pricey ($305 empty) and used for for rifles...but I just wanted feedback on it.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 18, 2011 23:41 |  #290

Mark II wrote in post #11644217 (external link)
The problem I have is the larger one being overweight .... which means another $50 more in most flights.

Anyone have a solution to the added charges of overweight luggage .... short of leaving some gear I might need at home? :confused:

I've never been charged for being over the weight when flying with my Pelican 1510's. I do try to spread the weight so they weigh evenly.

I'll be flying them again this month for trips to New Orleans and Las Vegas (taking my gear to WPPI and letting Canon CPS clean some of my gear for free)...

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 18, 2011 23:45 |  #291

Pelican Padded Divider Color Change, what gives?!?!

I am not a fan of the new black padded dividers... I liked mine with the mid-tone grey much better. With so many items being black or mostly black the mid-tone grey made objects stick out much easier.

I've always loved how Kata uses yellow fabric in the interior of their bags to help with things getting 'lost' inside. It might seem like a small thing but when I'm in a rush and I have six cases of gear the easier to spot the better. Usually this isn't a problem for me because I keep my cases pretty organized, but visually I find the mid-tone grey better.

My Web Site:
My flickr:

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2011 12:20 |  #292

fensterbme wrote in post #11670223 (external link)
I'll be flying them again this month for trips to New Orleans and Las Vegas (taking my gear to WPPI and letting Canon CPS clean some of my gear for free)...

you know it's a very basic cleaning right?
IE front and rear elements for a lens etc... :confused:

fensterbme wrote in post #11670239 (external link)

I am not a fan of the new black padded dividers...

yeah, I've seen some shots with them in bright blue which I'd LOVE. Or red maybe?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 19, 2011 12:47 |  #293

WHAT! I Was thrilled when my latest case came with black dividers! Different strokes for different folks I guess...

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 19, 2011 13:12 |  #294

ben_r_ wrote in post #11672897 (external link)
WHAT! I Was thrilled when my latest case came with black dividers! Different strokes for different folks I guess...

You may like the looks, but wait until you have to find something in it in less than perfect light.

dovaka
398 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 19, 2011 13:38 as a reply to  @ Pinto's post |  #295

im not to thrilled about the black either

i own way to much crap to list it all here and try to keep it up to date

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2011 14:16 |  #296

well, I'll agree black is better than gray, but I'd prefer some funky color to black so it's 1) not boring gray and 2) easy to find things.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2011 14:38 |  #297

jacobsen1 wrote in post #11672721 (external link)
you know it's a very basic cleaning right?
IE front and rear elements for a lens etc... :confused:

That I do, I've had them do cleanings a few times before at different conventions. I usually have them do the camera bodies and then send my lenses in so they can also be calibrated. Still a free 'light' cleaning is better than no cleaning.

Different Strokes Indeed... I think they 'look' better than the boring grey... but I don't care how they look so much as how they 'work', for me when I'm moving fast or asking an assistant to find something and I'm short on time I don't want to make it any harder than it has to be...

Black on Black is like camera cammo making stuff hard to find... but like I said above I care how things work, not how they look.

My Web Site:
My flickr:

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2011 14:40 |  #298

fensterbme wrote in post #11673526 (external link)
Still a free 'light' cleaning is better than no cleaning.

yeah, just checking because I'd rather travel light and do the light stuff myself, then send it in for clean and calibration as needed. YMMV.

My Gear List

my sites:
GND buyers FAQ

mckinleypics
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 19, 2011 14:52 |  #299

I learned the hard way. Bought a 1650 with padded inserts. Big enough to hold all of my gear plus tripod and most of my clothes for a weekend trip. Got to the airport - 61lbs. $90 charge. What!? This means $180 every time I use it??? On the way home I carried my camera gear onboard in my thinktank R20 and got the case down to $49.

1650 is for sale.

Dave
7D, 70-200mm 2.8 L IS, 24-70mm 2.8 L, 50mm 1.4, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, 580EXII
My Flickr (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 19, 2011 15:22 |  #300

mckinleypics wrote in post #11673610 (external link)
I learned the hard way. Bought a 1650 with padded inserts. Big enough to hold all of my gear plus tripod and most of my clothes for a weekend trip. Got to the airport - 61lbs. $90 charge. What!? This means $180 every time I use it??? On the way home I carried my camera gear onboard in my thinktank R20 and got the case down to $49.

1650 is for sale.

1514 man!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links

682,980 views & 22 likes for this thread
Post your Pelican Case distribution Photos !!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.