Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 00:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Help me reunite a 24-105 with its owner!

tekkie
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2008 18:51 |  #31

I am glad to see there are still some honest people left in the world, so kudos to you for doing this, I know if it was me who lost it I would be forever grateful

Canon 1DMKII, 7D, 5DMKII, 1D MKII
Canon 500L, 100-400L
, 70-200 2.8L, 17-40L, 24-105L, 24mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.8 SF, 100mm Macro
Canon 430 & 580 flashes

jorl
594 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2008 18:57 |  #32

If the owner was smart and had insurance on it.. they probably don't even care, nor would they be looking for it, because they would have a brand new one sitting on there camera right now....

haha

FOR SALE: Brand new Nikon 50mm 1.4G - Msg me for details
FOR SALE: Used MB-D10 Battery Grip - Msg me for details
FOR SALE: CANON 24-70 f2.8L Lens http://www.flickr.com/​photos/synthet...76299​57367627/ (external link)

Jim ­ McKeogh
105 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 28, 2008 20:08 |  #33

MikeI wrote in post #5011109 (external link)
I'll spare the long story, but I'm trying to reunite a 24-105 f/4 IS with its rightful owner. I believe the lens was stolen, but may have been left in a parking lot. The person who had the lens said they found it in a parking lot. That doesn't hold too much weight, because the same person was in possession of other confirmed stolen property.

We have searched our immediate area for any police reports regarding missing or stolen camera equipment but have yet to find a match. I'm doing this out of desperation. So far, the serial number has not been entered as a stolen item.

If you live in the East Bay (California) and are missing a lens or know someone who is, please PM me with some details. If you have a police report, even better.

If you have questions, PM me.

I know I would FREAK if I got my gear ripped off. I'm hoping to get at least a litte piece back to its righful owner, not to mention adding another charge on the person that 'found' it.

Have you tried calling Canon to see if it was registered?

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 28, 2008 21:03 |  #34

Jim McKeogh wrote in post #5016681 (external link)
Have you tried calling Canon to see if it was registered?

Now that's a good idea!:)

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

MikeI
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,074 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2008 21:40 as a reply to  @ Az2Africa's post |  #35

To answer a few questions:

Yes, I am a Police Officer. I contacted a guy who just purchased this lens through a Craigslist deal for $500. Luckily I know a *little* about Canon gear and recognized this was far beyond a good deal. He was very, very, fair about it and totally cooperative. For the time being, he kept the lens while I went after the people that sold it to him. I found a bunch of other stolen stuff in their car that was confirmed and returned to the owners, but the lens is among a few things that still need to be connected. The original guy came down and met me at the station and got his money back. He actually said that as soon as he realized the lens may have been stolen, he didn't even want it anymore.

I contacted Canon today. The serial number has not been registered with them. I searched other local agencies, and although they have a few cases with camera gear, the serial # doesn't match.

There is still hope. A nearby Wolf camera was broken into recently. Among the stolen items were some 5D kits. They are digging up the numbers for us.

For now, it is packaged nicely and sitting safely in a locker. It would be a shame not to reunite that lens with its lawful owner.

Doubleshot Photography (external link) ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3138451&postcou​nt=595"]My Gear ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://irel​and-photo.smugmug.com/"]Pe​rsonal Gallery

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,501 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2008 22:00 |  #36

How about you finger print the lens then run them through the system and see what pops up ;)

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 28, 2008 22:12 |  #37

I think photo.net still has a stolen camera registry try posting there. If you decide to post to any board do not use the entire serial number or type of filter brand if any, that should help weed out the weenies. Also adding to the post that you are making copies of any ID that the person must present prior to looking at the lens...

EDIT:
I have a few ideas as well.
1. There is an outside chance that the actual owner belongs to one of the local camera clubs. http://n4c.org/ (external link) is the bay area group that many are affiliated with. Then there is the www.coba.com (external link)
and also in the south bay area the http://www.sbccphoto.o​rg/ (external link) as well. That represents a fairly large section of phototgraphers in the bay area. Here is another http://lgscc.home.att.​net/ (external link)

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
11,680 posts
Gallery: 258 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 28, 2008 22:16 |  #38

photobitz wrote in post #5017443 (external link)
How about you finger print the lens then run them through the system and see what pops up ;)

I thought the CSI system only works with Nikons... :lol:

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

deletedpenguin
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2008 22:42 |  #39

I heard back from everyone I know in the Tri-Valley area. Unfortunately, it wasn't any of them, nor anyone they knew. (Though many are very willing to take it off your hands if you can't find the owner.) :p

Stefan | StefanPetersen.com.au (external link)
500px (external link) Flickr (external link)

number ­ six
fully entitled to be jealous
8,963 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2008 22:45 |  #40

photobitz wrote in post #5017443 (external link)

Watch a lot of TV, do you?

Mike, being an Ossifer of the Law, probably has heard of the technique...

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash

photobitz
PlatinumMeasure​baiter
6,501 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2008 23:26 |  #41

number six wrote in post #5017713 (external link)
Watch a lot of TV, do you?

Mike, being an Ossifer of the Law, probably has heard of the technique...

-js

ROFL :lol:

It wasn't a serious suggestion on my part...

Maybe I'm being too subtle for my own good? :rolleyes:

Dan

My gear | Me on Flickr (external link)

rangersvtsplash
634 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 29, 2008 07:20 as a reply to  @ photobitz's post |  #42

mike - what happen to it if it dont find a owner? ya guys can use it for ya investigations lol

Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2 Zoom Lens EF-S 17-85mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM with EW-71B Hood, 50mm f1.8 II.

MikeI
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,074 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 29, 2008 10:12 |  #43

Someone PM'd me with a good idea. They suggested using the serial number to find out (via Canon) where the lens was initially sold and track it from there. I actually tried to go that route with Canon yesterday. While they were super polite, they would not give me squat. I actually don't blame them. Although I identify myself, they really don't know who I am. To get access to those records, the big corporations generally require a subpoena. The supervisor I talked to said I can always send them a copy of the report and they could work on it from there.

Fingerprints won't work. First, it went through no less than two confirmed people's hands before I got it. Second, the surface of the lens isn't conducive to getting prints, despite what CSI shows on TV. If the glass was touched? Oh yeah!! Perfect! This thing is pristine though...

I have a feeling we are going to link it back to the camera store burglary.

I'll keep you posted. I still need to post on the other links some people have provided. Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Doubleshot Photography (external link) ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3138451&postcou​nt=595"]My Gear ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://irel​and-photo.smugmug.com/"]Pe​rsonal Gallery

dugcross
879 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 29, 2008 10:51 as a reply to  @ MikeI's post |  #44

It's nice to know that there are people like you on the "force"!

Doug Cross
Graphic Designer and Photographer
www.crossphotographics​.com (external link)

statsman
527 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 29, 2008 14:33 |  #45

dugcross wrote in post #5020391 (external link)
It's nice to know that there are people like you on the "force"!

Agreed!

MikeI wrote in post #5020162 (external link)
To get access to those records, the big corporations generally require a subpoena.

When you get the subpoena, please be sure to take a quick look at the 1DmkIII testing records and future Canon DSLR releases scheduled for 2008-2009. ;)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

12,242 views & 0 likes for this thread, 58 members have posted to it and it is followed by 2 members.
Help me reunite a 24-105 with its owner!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.