Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Software and Routine for Backing Up Files to External Drives

kvt
97 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2008 21:42 |  #1

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered, but I did a search and couldn't seem to find the answers to my exact questions.

I am in the process of trying to establish a backup system for all my files. I am not a very computer savvy person and I am finding this to be the most challenging part of photography. I currently use a desktop and a laptop, and I purchased a Western Digital external hard drive for each. A portable 320 GB Passport for the laptop and a 500 GB WD My Book for the desktop. When I plugged each new drive into their respective computers, I found that they seemed to be using different software and processes for backing up. I would really like to maintain a consistant routine across the board. Right now, the portable Passport drive is using WDSync and the My Book launched a program called WD Anywhere Backup -- which on top of everything seems to be a trial-only version.

Not only am I having trouble figuring out these different programs, but I can't figure out how and where to automatically backup my files when I am importing them with Lightroom because the drives seem to have put all my current files into encrypted weird folders. Okay, I am sure I have confused anyone that it reading this, but I am just confused myself!

I guess what I am asking is whether there is backup software that you would recommend for Windows XP that I can install on both computers and use with both external drives? What routine would you recommend setting up from there? Should I backup automatically from LR when I import files from my CF card? The reason I am not sure I should is because I often delete a bunch of the not-so-good imported files in LR, so I think I would end up with a bunch of extra files on my external hard drives that I would never use. Ahhhh, I wish I were more computer literate! I am just so lost here. Any advice you all can give me would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

KVT
Canon EOS 5D, 400D
Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Canon EF 85/1.8, Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro, Canon EF 135 f/2.0L, Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II Extender, Canon Speedlite 430EX

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,695 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2008 21:57 |  #2

This comes up from time to time. Here's a recent discussion - https://photography-on-the.net …=434087&highlig​ht=synctoy

I use Synctoy, and find it quite good.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

kvt
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 28, 2008 23:11 |  #3

Damo77 wrote in post #5017419 (external link)
This comes up from time to time. Here's a recent discussion - https://photography-on-the.net …=434087&highlig​ht=synctoy

I use Synctoy, and find it quite good.

Thank you for the link, that thread did not come up in my search. I appreciate the tip! I took a look at SyncToy and it looks like just what I need.

A couple questions though, should I somehow format the external drives before I start this process? They came with a bunch of programs and folders already on there. Should I get rid of them? And if so, how would I do that formatting?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

KVT
Canon EOS 5D, 400D
Canon EF 50 f/1.4, Canon EF 85/1.8, Canon EF 100 f/2.8 Macro, Canon EF 135 f/2.0L, Canon EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L II, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II Extender, Canon Speedlite 430EX

Damo77
Goldmember
4,695 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 28, 2008 23:37 |  #4

I've only had experience with a Maxtor drive. It came with its own software, which I used for a while, until I gave it up in disgust, and started using SyncToy.

I deleted the software, but I didn't reformat. I'm not sure if you should. Hopefully somebody else will have some wisdom for us.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

JW22
74 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 26, 2008 23:00 |  #5

I'm looking for the same answer...
I have a mac with a 500GB My Book External HD. I'm new to mac but can I format or remove the software that came with the drive and use time machine?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,889 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 27, 2008 00:26 |  #6

I just got a 320 USB external. I have had two hard drives in my towers for at least the last ten years, and a couple more I used in removable drawers, and now the usb externals, 2x120gb and the new 320. There is no secret to them and there shouldn't be any spoftware junk needed on them. They are part of Windows when you plug them in, they take on a drive letter set by windows. You don't need any other software. I just delete it. If I want to really get serious, I partition the externals, but why bother, just making folders in them is almost as good. I mean, I'm not going to back up my backups. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

neil_g
708 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 27, 2008 06:29 |  #7

a simple batch file should do the job..

@ECHO OFF
EchO ***************
ECHO * Copying files... *
ECHO * *
ECHO * Please wait... *
ECHO ***************
rem @ECHO OFF
xcopy c:\sourcephotosfolder\​*.* F:\destinationphotosfo​lder /d /e
ECHO Copying complete.
pause

Burp.

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 27, 2008 06:34 |  #8

I use Robocopy, a free command line tool from Microsoft. There's a GUI for it I think, but i'm happy with command line.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

snails
"I used the last of it to tip the strippers."
1,517 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 27, 2008 17:45 |  #9

JW22 wrote in post #5199676 (external link)
I'm looking for the same answer...
I have a mac with a 500GB My Book External HD. I'm new to mac but can I format or remove the software that came with the drive and use time machine?

Yes, you can use the disk utility to reformat the drive, (I don't know if you NEED to, but I want to say yes) and use the drive for Time Machine.

Canon EOS 7D EOS 5D Mark II EOS 40D PowerShot G10 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM EF 50mm f/1.4 USM EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX | Canon Speedlite 270 EX Speedlite 430 EX | Sigma EF 500 DG Super

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 27, 2008 18:18 |  #10

I just copy and paste onto a external drive. No programs needed. No compressing of any kind either. Eventualy Ill run out of space, but I have almost 1.5 Tb of storage so it will be a while. I keep all my images in one folder, but in that folder its divided up. But in 4 clicks Im backed up. It can take a while, but nobody said you have to wait for it. I do it while im eating lunch. By the time im done, so is it. I do the same thing for my music.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 27, 2008 22:42 |  #11

Karen's Replicator
http://www.karenware.c​om/powertools/ptreplic​ator.asp (external link)

Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network.

Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the replication of folder and file deletions.

New features allow you to specify which files should not be copied, and also which days a file should be skipped!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

JW22
74 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 27, 2008 23:25 |  #12

snails wrote in post #5205068 (external link)
Yes, you can use the disk utility to reformat the drive, (I don't know if you NEED to, but I want to say yes) and use the drive for Time Machine.

Okay another day has passed and now I have two external drives, both 500 GB. I want to have my data saved to one I'll call it my "working drive" and use the second one as the 'backup drive" using Time Machine. Now I've found on a mac site that this is possible but I can't seem to find a layman's instructions on how to do it. Anybody know how?

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 27, 2008 23:29 |  #13

SyncbackSE.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 27, 2008 23:52 |  #14

neil_g wrote in post #5201248 (external link)
a simple batch file should do the job..

@ECHO OFF
EchO ***************
ECHO * Copying files... *
ECHO * *
ECHO * Please wait... *
ECHO ***************
rem @ECHO OFF
xcopy c:\sourcephotosfolder\​*.* F:\destinationphotosfo​lder /d /e
ECHO Copying complete.
pause

I've got a great one-liner from the terminal under OS X:

dd if=/dev/diskx of=/dev/disky/backup.img

Where x is the source drive number and y is the target drive number.

Doesn't make a clone, but it does make a bootable disk image the drive - byte by byte (even those sectors that contain no data). Takes forever, though. Time Machine's a lot easier (but not bootable).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,908 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 28, 2008 00:04 |  #15

JW22 wrote in post #5207312 (external link)
Okay another day has passed and now I have two external drives, both 500 GB. I want to have my data saved to one I'll call it my "working drive" and use the second one as the 'backup drive" using Time Machine. Now I've found on a mac site that this is possible but I can't seem to find a layman's instructions on how to do it. Anybody know how?

You're going to run into trouble if your Time Machine drive is smaller than your working drive, unless you keep your working drive to under 350 or 400 gigs. Time Machine does incremental backups and in a week or two or four you'll run out of room on your TM drive and it'll tell you you have to delete things from your working drive for it to start again. But if you want to do it, here's how:

1. Connect your two drives and launch Disk Utility.

2. When the drives show up, click on one of them and initialize as an HFS+ volume with journaling enabled. Name it as you like for your working drive and initialize. Do the same for the other one and call it "TimeMachine" (with no space - just to be safe). You should now have two Mac volumes.

3. From the Apple in the upper left, choose System Preferences, Time Machine. Turn it on and select the TimeMachine drive as your disk.

4. Here's where it gets goofy (imo). Click on Options and you get a window for "Do not back up" (seems really awkward to me). If there's anything you don't want backed up (drives, folders, files, applications), click the '+' and then search for those items to add. Time Machine will skip them and not back them up. If you use Aperture, be certain that you add your Aperture Library to the Do Not Backup list because TM can corrupt it if it's open during an hourly backup. Click Done, quit System Preferences and you should be good to go.

The first time you start Time Machine should be right before you go to bed, because the first back up can take several hours. Our 500 gig drive required about 8 hours to back up under with a USB drive.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

sponsored links

2,657 views & 0 likes for this thread
Software and Routine for Backing Up Files to External Drives
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.