Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NBA

TitusvilleSurfer
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 01, 2008 02:58 |  #1

I may have an interview coming up with a NBA basketball team. I was hoping for some insight as to what I should tell the human resources department when I talk with them. What will they want from me and what can I expect from them? I want to be prepared from the get go and not make any mistakes. The idea is to have some structure and prep before sitting in the hot seat.

50D | G11 | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 IS | 580exII

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 02, 2008 09:45 |  #2

Interview to be what? Behind the scenes shooter? Game shooter? Archivist? Water boy? It helps to give us the info.
If they want you to shoot, your "Kick A$$" portfolio will be what they want to see & it will be the most important part of the interview. Other than that, it will probably follow the lines of any other interview that 1,000 people apply for & HR's first objective is to weed that 1,000 down to 1-3 people, so don't give them any reason to dump you.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2008 19:41 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #3

In theory they are looking for three court side home game photographers. I don't have much of a portfolio though. I've only shot middle school stuff.

Chris71
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 02, 2008 21:28 |  #4

I just want to say good luck, and let us know how it goes.

I tend to agree with Photosguy, your portfolio should do most of the talking.

Chris

TitusvilleSurfer
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2008 21:49 |  #5

Would it be ludicrous to suggest shooting a practice to show what I am capable of? If I got the job I would be more than happy to buy a 1dmkIII and whatever lenses would be appropriate but not unless I know money would be made with them. I may be using their equipment anyway.

Floriantrojer.com
296 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 03, 2008 06:23 as a reply to  @ TitusvilleSurfer's post |  #6

Would it be ludicrous to suggest shooting a practice to show what I am capable of?

As you said you already shot middle school. At least you're not a total newbie wandering up and saying you wanna shoot basketball!

Even though it's "only" middle school, they're still players - moving fast, and they're still throwing baskets. There's no difference to the NBA really, so you should still bring portfolio shots.

If you're good, your pics should look impressive.
Doesn't matter whether it's NBA or middle school or kindergarden ;)

Asking doesn't hurt, so if you feel like it - ask them to let you shoot a game as trial. Nothing more than a rejection you'd have to fear anyway.

Oh and BTW - how about you rent pro-gear before weeding out thousands of dollars for a single, unsafe job?

www.floriantrojer.com (external link)
---------------
Canon 1Dmk3, 20D + Lenses
---------------

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 03, 2008 19:43 |  #7

Would it be ludicrous to suggest shooting a practice to show what I am capable of?

I agree with what Florian said.
And, your 40D is good enough for now. And I wouldn't think of buying another piece of equipment until my present equipment had paid for it.
Renting a cam is an option, but working with things you aren't familiar with is asking for trouble.

djscrib
127 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2008 00:14 |  #8

No difference between middle school NBA? The players are faster, twice as tall, the lighting is severe, the court is 3 times the size as a middle school. Courtside photographers shoot from the end of the court, and almost all carry 2 bodies, one for shots on the near-side of the court, and one for the far side (obviously with differing lens lengths).

I'd consider going to a game and spend some time watching the photogs (I did that last month, it was pretty interesting).

40D 24-70 2.8F, 50mm 1.4F, 10-22, 580exII, 70-200 2.8 IS

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 04, 2008 00:31 |  #9

The NBA and Middle School are two different levels of shooting - the game is 10,000x faster and many clients want to see higher competition stuff to know you can capture the speed of the game and the big differences in how the game is played. With that said, many don't as well. I know one guy who got a "gig" just by showing little league stuff and then was shooting pro ball (not for the team, paper - but still).

A 40D isn't fast enough (sorry, but working with card companies they are VERY high on equipment because they want to know you won't miss a shot). But wait a minute, if it's an indoor sport you may be using strobes and that's not 10fps either.

If you haven't noticed I'm contradicting myself as there's no perfect answer :) The simple thought process is be ready to asnwer anything they can throw at you about sideline behavior, about using lights, about the game itself, about yourself as a person, about equipment, etc. If I'm the team photog and looking for help I'd be there in the interview as well and ask some random questions out of what seems like nowhere just to test your knowledge base out of the blue.

As for shooting a practice I would not count on that, most coaches at that level do not want media in the room - there's that "special" time media can come in and shoot but usually its a no.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 04, 2008 00:33 |  #10

djscrib wrote in post #5044243 (external link)
No difference between middle school NBA? The players are faster, twice as tall, the lighting is severe, the court is 3 times the size as a middle school. Courtside photographers shoot from the end of the court, and almost all carry 2 bodies, one for shots on the near-side of the court, and one for the far side (obviously with differing lens lengths).

I'd consider going to a game and spend some time watching the photogs (I did that last month, it was pretty interesting).

Maybe MS's are different in your neck of the woods but I coached MS basketball and the court was exactly the same size - maybe the SIDES of the court are different. Everything else I concure...

djscrib
127 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2008 00:26 |  #11

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #5044333 (external link)
Maybe MS's are different in your neck of the woods but I coached MS basketball and the court was exactly the same size - maybe the SIDES of the court are different. Everything else I concure...

Your Middle school had a NBA length 3 point line set up and NBA court length based on that 3 point line?

If so than those must be some boring ass games to watch as it takes the 5th graders 30 seconds to hoof from one end of the court to another. Middle school courts != NBA courts.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

40D 24-70 2.8F, 50mm 1.4F, 10-22, 580exII, 70-200 2.8 IS

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 06, 2008 05:38 |  #12

so this is what we do now.....argue about the size of basketball courts.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 06, 2008 08:38 |  #13

And some people comment on the arguing!

And others comment on that! :D

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 06, 2008 13:14 |  #14

What about a comment on the comment from the comment about the argument?

To answer your question, all our courts are 94'x50' NCAA/NBA regulations - the NBA 3 point line is not on our courts but the length/width is the same. That includes our two elementary schools, middle school and high school. The middle school leagues (our 4th-6th grade team and both modified teams for 7/8th grade) are not allowed to shoot 3's. Well, I'll take that back - they can shoot them but it only counts as two. I had a girl in 7th grade a few years ago who dropped 3's like nothing, including NBA 3's in practice...we ran 3 point plays for her and another girl even though they counted as 2 just so she could learn the plays for JV/Varsity down the line...she's now a sophomore and everyone in the league knows about her shooting, ironically her dads name is Michael Jordan and she used to wear #23 for me, her nickname - MJ - as her name also starts with M (obviously).

So, in conclusion your honor, yes our middle school (and elementary) courts are set up the same witdth/length as the NBA. Your witness council.

sponsored links

1,571 views & 0 likes for this thread
NBA
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.