Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 01 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 06:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Triptych C&C required please.

manipula
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2008 06:43 |  #1

First of all I hate the phrase 'triptych' in photography, so much so I can't be a**ed to find out if I spelt it correctly, it makes it sound as though I'm trying to be more important than I actually am. But for want of a better phrase, I'll carry on...

Background. These three shots were taken over the last few months, and are part of a few ideas I've got for shooting slightly alternative landscapes. Main thing you need to know is that I am very much against taking landscape shots to fill a picture postcard book. I'd rather take stuff which would convey mood or bleakness, darkness, expressions of mood within either myself or you as you look at the shots. I don't strive to find perfection, just to find beauty in the natural imperfection.

So with that in mind, give me some feedback on these. The phrases 'nice' and 'wow' are good for the ego I admit, but help me to the sum of sweet FA in terms of progressing so get vocal people please! :)

The piccies:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …or%20POTN/Balme​die-T1.jpg (external link)

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …la/For%20POTN/T​1_POTN.jpg (external link)

http://i117.photobucke​t.com …20POTN/Makara-T1_POTN.jpg (external link)

Enjoy people. (Hopefully!) :p

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

sponsored links
vikingbino
24 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 01, 2008 09:17 |  #2

Really like the idea you're going with here!!

No. 1 Looks a little 'cold' maybe tweak the white balance?

No. 2 I'd re-order from abc to acb

No. 3 Definately my favorite of the three.

Canon 400D with kit lens, Canon 70-300 DO IS, Canon 100 Macro, Nifty Fifty, Sigma 10-20
Tom C Photo's (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/tom_c/ (external link)

symbolphoto
Cream of the Crop
6,621 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 01, 2008 09:48 |  #3

I didn't understand a single word of your first two paragraphs. But the photos are pretty good.

JamesConnor
144 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 01, 2008 15:52 |  #4

I don't know what Triptych means, but love your shots, and the idea behind them. but #3 is my favorite set. And i would agree with changing the order in #2.

http://jamesconnorphot​ography.zenfolio.com (external link)

greku69
104 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 01, 2008 18:13 |  #5

love the last one maybe bit dark but , that is my opinion and you don't have to agree with that :)
any way nice photos they are ...
thanks for sharing

Canon 5D, 17-40mm F4 L, 70-200mm f4 L, 50mm f1.8 , 420EX
London photo services for people who are going to get married, check my wedding photos (external link) gallery.
My photo side (external link)

dphillips81
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 01, 2008 18:59 |  #6

I think that you have a great idea going here. I enjoy all three of these sets, but the last set works the best for me. i think it is the hint of color in a mainly dark and dreary setting that pulls me in. the slight vignetting really helps to move the eye to subject of the image, and adds to the feel. to me this is a very creative and interesting form of landscape you have created here. these sets convey a sense of solitude, and tranquility to me. I can almost hear the sounds of the surf as i look at them.

well done, i look forward to seeing some more of your work.

Dustin
www.imagesbydustin.com (external link) **STILL BUILDING**
6D, 24-70f2.8 L, 135L f2, 430EX II

aduda
551 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2008 19:06 as a reply to  @ greku69's post |  #7

#3 is my favorite. All three of the shots work well together, and individualy.

#1 is solid too. The only thing that kinda gets me is the first one in the set. It is nice, and I like how it shows the approaching water, but think maybe the horizon draws too much attention for me. The other two have soely the water as the focus. Just my thoughts.

6D, 5D, 20-35 2.8L, 135L, 70-200 2.8IS L, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 105 2.8 macro, SMC Takumar 28 3.5, SMC Takumar 50 1.4, Super-Takumar 105 2.8

akprice
614 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 01, 2008 21:12 as a reply to  @ aduda's post |  #8

love the 3rd set. great job on all of these.

Canon 30D | EF-S 17-55 2.8 | 70-200 F/4.0 L | Nifty Fifty
aaron k price
artist
| graphic designer | photographer
flickr (external link)

manipula
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,290 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 02, 2008 01:54 |  #9

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm sure at the time I compiled the 2nd shot, I tried the middle and right shots the other way around and didn't like it, but I confess my rubbish memory isn't 100% sure any more. Maybe it's just that the original photos aren't hitting the nail on the head... ?!

The thinking in my head about ordering them was that if every tritych I did read left to right as the wave came in, that the formula, visually, would become pretty tired quite quickly, and that perhaps there should be a variation on the theme. I've been thinking about it all day and I'm still not sure. :roll: ?!

Cheers, Dave.
www.manipula.co.nz (external link) :: Gear list for the nerds (external link) :: flickr (external link) :: ModelMayhem (external link)
:: insert scathing quip here! ::

sponsored links

1,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
Triptych C&C required please.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.