Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 14:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D admirers, assemble!

this thread is locked
Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 14:53 |  #1

If the 1D classic and 1DII get their own threads about how great they are, the 5D certainly deserves one too.

So for all the 5D owners out there, let's talk about how amazing this camera is and why you love it!

And for all the newbies and non-5D owners out there who are undecided, may this thread help you in making your decision :lol:.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sponsored links
Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 01, 2008 14:56 |  #2

Three little words.

High Dynamic Range (without poncing around with HDR).

IMAGE: http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/large/IMG_1755.jpg

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 15:06 |  #3

I love how the full frame makes Canon's lens lineup make so much more sense, and the viewfinder is a real treat and the biggest reason I got one. The moment I looked through that big viewfinder, I knew I had to get rid of my cropped body and revel in that full frame goodness that I hadn't felt since the film days.

The 6 invisible AF points are often overlooked, but when enabled, they really make AI Servo tracking work wonderfully in a lot of situations.

And it certainly says a lot about the camera when it is still used as the standard for IQ. One of the first questions that came up with new bodies like the Nikon D3 and 1DIII was always 'how does it compare with the 5D?', with the D3 actually losing in most reviews.

The wonderful high ISO performance is just icing on the cake. Whether or not it's hugely significant is a side issue to the psychological freedom one experiences when one can switch to ISO3200 without hesitation.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 01, 2008 15:53 |  #4

The biggest draws for me:

The viewfinder. Best prosumer dSLR viewfinder available anywhere.

The 85L for people shots. The closest 1.6X equivalent is the 50L, which has the focus shift problem.

The 135L for people shots. There is nothing equivalent for tight portraits on the 1.6X, as the 85mm lenses have longer MFDs.

And then there is the total IQ. Despite being the same generation as the 20D, the 5D is still outperforming the XXD line (by a smaller margin, to be sure) for resolution and noise two generations later.

Overall the 5D is an excellent performer.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,120 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 01, 2008 16:00 |  #5

Pete wrote in post #5027730 (external link)
Three little words.

High Dynamic Range (without poncing around with HDR).

You know the 20D has more measured dynamic range than the 5D, right?

IMAGE: http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS5D/Samples/DynRange/compared.jpg

Of course the 40D has more than both of them...And this is only with JPG. 14-bit raw > 12-bit raw for dynamic range

flickr (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:02 |  #6

And price too! The 5D price has come down so much since it was released. It'd be awkward if there were a replacement priced at the original price of the 5D (I still am not convinced that a replacement is coming or even in the works).

I'm often bemused by the mythical quality attributed to the 5D by some folk. Whilst I certainly understand why this is the case, it does seem sometimes that the 5D is talked about as though it's a magic, legendary camera with strange, indescribable qualities to its images :lol:. Having said that, I'm PP-ing a lot less shooting with the 5D because the colours and shots look so damn good out of camera.

Pete, your eagle shots with the 5D and dusty trombone on your gallery are FANTASTIC! I'm working on my birding setup right now and I'm just simply unable to make up my mind on what I want to be using, lol.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:18 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #7

Pete, I think the word that you were looking for was "putzing" rather than "poncing". :D Think it's a New York word.

I mentioned in my misunderstood "broken gray card post", that a gray card isn't necessary with the 5D.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2008 16:20 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #8

I love that the ON switch doubles as the POP enabler.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:22 |  #9

TheHoff wrote in post #5028202 (external link)
I love that the ON switch doubles as the POP enabler.

LOL :lol: oh man that made me laugh SO HARD! It's so true though :lol:.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:30 |  #10

I almost sold the 5d because I wanted to get the 100-400 back, so the plan was to get a 40D as the backup to the mkIII.....I got a guy who wanted to give me $1900 for it...This morning he called and wanted to meet up to do the deal.....
Right then my wife says to me,,,,Don't do it, I'll get you the 100-400, just don't sell the 5D, you'll just end up wanting it again, you always talk about how muh you love it.
Needless to say, I told the guy "sorry, no deal."
Slapped the 50L on the 5D and felt really, really good. Something very special about the 5D, hard to quantify, but it's a certain something about the images that even my mkIII doesn't replicate.
Man...I got the best wife on the planet. Took this image right afterwards:)
5D, 50L, 1/80th, f2, ISO800, cropped about 50%

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:35 |  #11

thatkatmat wrote in post #5028256 (external link)
I almost sold the 5d because I wanted to get the 100-400 back, so the plan was to get a 40D as the backup to the mkIII.....I got a guy who wanted to give me $1900 for it...This morning he called and wanted to meet up to do the deal.....
Right then my wife says to me,,,,Don't do it, I'll get you the 100-400, just don't sell the 5D, you'll just end up wanting it again, you always talk about how muh you love it.
Needless to say, I told the guy "sorry, no deal."
Slapped the 50L on the 5D and felt really, really good. Something very special about the 5D, hard to quantify, but it's a certain something about the images that even my mkIII doesn't replicate.
Man...I got the best wife on the planet.

Aww that's a great story! And a lovely shot as well :D.

I too am madly in love with this camera. I have thought about what other kind of stuff I could get if I sold it, but then the thought of being without a 5D is really quite horrific. I notice the difference too, not when I'm processing, but when I look at my 5D shots compared to my older photos, there's something about the 5D images that just looks better.

thatkatmat
Cream of the Crop
9,340 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 16:43 |  #12

Thanks Perry....I'll admit, the story is ...well...a bit sappy, but it's true so....what the hell:cool:

My Flickr (external link)
Stuff
"Never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." -Jimmy Conway
a9, 12-24/4G, 24-70/2.8GM, 100-400GM, 25/2 Batis, 55/1.8ZA, 85 /1.8FE, 85LmkII, 135L...a6300,10-18/4, 16-50PZ, 18-105PZ

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 01, 2008 17:29 |  #13

AdamLewis wrote in post #5028095 (external link)
Of course the 40D has more than both of them...And this is only with JPG. 14-bit raw > 12-bit raw for dynamic range

The DR of the JPG is relatively unimportant - you're throwing away data to get there from the 12 or 14-bit RAW image. In this case, the 8-bit medium does effectively limit the DR to a certain extent. You won't be seeing any huge DR stats from the JPG because you're limited by the number of brightness graduations available at the dark end of the spectrum.

Both the 40D and the 5D easily have a stop or better of headroom at the high end of the exposure spectrum when shooting in RAW. At the dark end, the 5D exceeds the capabilities of the 40D in terms of noise control by at least 1/2 stop. I have a little more room to work with an image from my 5D than I do with the 40D. Both are good, of course, but the 5 still has more latitude. These are my findings based on comparison tests with my 40D and 5D.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

Perry ­ Ge
THREAD ­ STARTER
12,266 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 01, 2008 18:36 |  #14

I might go out tomorrow and chase snowy owls with my limited birding equipment right now.

And by limited, I really do mean limited. 5D + 200L + 1.4x TC.

We'll see how this puppy performs at this type of thing :D.

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 01, 2008 18:53 as a reply to  @ Perry Ge's post |  #15

If the 5D was released today instead of 2 years ago, I believe it would be a hit, even compared to todays cameras. A few features are a little dated, but the results it produces are amazing. The fact it's selling at such a reasonable price is a great opportunity to pick up a classic. This is going to be one tough camera to upgrade. I was lucky as I was waiting for the 30D upgrade to come out a year ago, and when it didn't I pulled the trigger on the 5D. Glad Canon was slow on the release.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sponsored links

1,086,039 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D admirers, assemble!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.