Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Mar 2008 (Sunday) 09:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can we talk about Bryan Pedersons book for a second?

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2008 09:29 |  #1

oops typo...peterson

Hi, can somebody explain two things from this book and bring it down to my level.

In the aperture pages, he talks about storytelling pics. He mentions that on primes, you can set the distance. The only one I have is the 85mm 1.8. Does this have this distance setting on it and exactly how do you do it?

Also, he mentions when he shoots a pic with a lot of green trees, he changes it to -2/3 of a stop. Does he mean to go into exposure compensation or does he mean to keep changing settings until the meter shows it -2/3?

Thanks in advance.

sponsored links
eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2008 10:30 |  #2

There is a distance scale on the 85/1.8 in both feet and meters. You can use this to set the focus to the correct point into your scene. This also works when using hyperfocus distance settings. Although, the effectiveness of hyperfocus is debatable.

The camera uses 18% grey as the "normal" metering point. When you have a scene that is predominately lighter than or darker than 18% grey the camera will adjust the exposure to try and force the scene to be 18% grey. The camera will tend to overexpose dark scenes and underexpose light scenes. This is why you will generally have to underexpose a dark forest scene to get a correct exposure.

You can use exposure compensation or if shooting in M just adjust the exposure by -2/3 stops. This is a good example of why you should be shooting in M and understand how to use the histogram. You can remember all the rules you want. Or just put it in M and chimp the histogram.

Eric

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2008 10:54 as a reply to  @ eddarr's post |  #3

Ok, so thanks. When I go to take a picture, do I set that foott setting at the distance to 1/3 of the way into the scene?

ie, if I have a foreground and a cabin at 100 feet and then mountains. Would I set that foot setting at 100 feet?

Thanks

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2008 11:11 |  #4

I think the distance scale tops out at about 21ft. Anything beyond that you will be focused at infinity. If you are using a small aperture like f/22 you can focus at about 5' and just about everything will be in focus. You can read here (external link) about depth of field and hyperfocus.

Eric

troyer16
832 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 02, 2008 13:27 |  #5

Are you reading his "understanding exposure" book?

Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Canon Rebel X (Film)
Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L
Tamron EFS 70-300mm/Macro
www.adamtroyerphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Brad999
THREAD ­ STARTER
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2008 13:38 as a reply to  @ troyer16's post |  #6

Ok, perfect, thanks.

Yes, I forgot to put what book I was referring to...lol.

sponsored links

688 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can we talk about Bryan Pedersons book for a second?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.