Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 03 Mar 2008 (Monday) 01:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sweet 'Nature Moment'

MikeI
Goldmember
2,074 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 03, 2008 01:02 |  #1

We have all had those times.....right place, right time...

A buddy (ErikT72) and I went to a lake today near my house. We had a lot of fun and success there last year, capturing eagles, hunting peregrine falcons, river otters, and assorted waterfowl. Winter isn't the best season to be out there, but a string of warm spring-like days got me itching to dust the boat off and take her for the maiden voyage of 2008.

Well, mother nature let us know that "Spring-like" doesn't mean spring. Although it was sunny and mild, a recently departing low pressure system left us with a nasty, persistent north wind. Gusts were up to 40 MPH today. Not good for a 14' boat.

As long as we stayed behind the protection of the hills, it wasn't bad. The eagles, however, were always congregated in a certain part of the main body of the lake. As we rounded the corner, leaving the protection of the river arms, we were slapped straight in the face with 4' white capped wind chop swells and a healthy wind....

So much for that...

We ended up finding a nice cove and beached the boat. The plan was to walk over the top of the peninsula and look down into the next cove. Last year, this particular cove held lots of ducks, herons, egrets, geese, and an eagle or two. If we could see any in there, it wouldn't be toooo terrible to fight the wind to get around the point.

Just as we neared the top of the hill, I noticed an eagle in a tree not 40 yards in front of us. The term eagle eyes is certainly appropriate. She was gone! We were totally caught off guard. As a matter of fact, Erik was shooting trees with his Wigma!!

Luckily, she played in the wind long enough for both of us to fill our buffers a few times. This is probably the most unique perspective I have ever had for a bird, much less an eagle. Although it may be hard to tell, many of the shots were shooting slightly down.

Enough story...here are a few:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

40 D + 300 F/4 IS + 1.4 Tcon
All were ISO 250 or 320 at F/5.6

Doubleshot Photography (external link) ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3138451&postcou​nt=595"]My Gear ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://irel​and-photo.smugmug.com/"]Pe​rsonal Gallery

pima
85 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2008 01:09 |  #2

nice shots i am still learning how to take bird shots but this forum is really helping me.

jason
canon 40D/70-300/28-135/manfrotto 486rc2/manfrotto tripod.
my pics http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pimaphotos/ (external link)

MikeI
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,074 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 03, 2008 01:12 |  #3

pima wrote in post #5037515 (external link)
nice shots i am still learning how to take bird shots but this forum is really helping me.

Av mode and AI servo! Use your ISO to get your shutter speed up to where you want it.

Doubleshot Photography (external link) ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://phot​ography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=3138451&postcou​nt=595"]My Gear ~~~~~ [URL="[URL]http://irel​and-photo.smugmug.com/"]Pe​rsonal Gallery

downywp
Goldmember
4,004 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 03, 2008 02:32 as a reply to  @ MikeI's post |  #4

Great set of shots, I love the eye level perspective and your timing was excellent!:)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

697 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sweet 'Nature Moment'
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.