Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 03 Mar 2008 (Monday) 06:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Image Post, one of my favourites.

Scott ­ H
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 06:38 |  #1

Hi all,

I have been lurking for a little while now and I thought I might finally contribute something for everyone to take a look at.

Would appreciate any advice you can give, as I would really love to learn all the little detials and tricks of photography.

Here is one of my favourites which I have taken with my 40D with kit lens.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i224.photobucke​t.com …hines-photos/IMG_0781.jpg (external link)

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm F4-5.6, ISO 1600 (PP Noiseware), TV 1/640, AV 5.6.

Any C&C would be apprectiated. I know the ISO was miles too high, but that was a mistake of a newbie who was still figuring out his camera. Oh well, Noiseware rocks.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

-Scott

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2008 16:54 |  #2

It's an interesting shot, I like how there are the flowers fade from the unopened buds in the foreground to the dead ones in the back.

I tried giving it a slight boost in curves, saturation and sharpening, hope you don't mind.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 16:59 |  #3

Welcome to the Forum Scott. Like the shot, good eye. If you're using photoshop, explore image/adjustments/curv​es. It's a great way of changing the overall contrast and levels.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

Scott ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 03, 2008 17:44 as a reply to  @ SlowBlink's post |  #4

It might be the monitor im looking at it from here at work, but swjim your adjustment to the saturation for me kind of takes away from the detail? I cant really see the edges of the flower anymore because I kind of lose it in the yellow mass? Is that because of the increased contrast or just from saturation? Can someone confirm this or is it just this PC?

When I first opened up the image in PS, I did try to adjust the colours and contrast but all I came up with was over saturated and 'fake' looking images. I ended up just returning it to 'out of camera' colour and for some reason I liked the fairly subdued colours - not sure why exactly.

Thanks for the comments.

-Scott

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

swjim
Goldmember
1,669 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2008 20:48 |  #5

Scott,

You're right, I did overdo it and lost some of the detail. Sorry about that.

Jim

Jim

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

930 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Image Post, one of my favourites.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.